First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do most of the 2.7 failures happen after the first oil change? I just read about the SN Plus specification for turbo engine motor oils. Is it possible that the "first oil change" was with a non SN Plus oil. If that were the case, could a low speed pre ignition (LSPI) event crack an existing weak valve stem? I believe 93 octane gas reduces knock. Do we know what octane the blown engine was running? My Black Diamond with a 2.7 is slated to be built in the next few days.
Both premium and non-premium octane are involved in the failures, also plenty of engines that did not have the first oil change have failed.

I have changed my oil, no issues, but I use Mobile 1... So I would not expect an oil related failure. Thinking about changing to Quaker State... ;)
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Why the fuck would they put that engine in knowing it’s prob going to blow again is Ford really that incompetent . Any one getting an engine replacement should have a new ab engine with the upgraded parts
Because it was built before the bad valves were available, it's actually not likely to fail based on the data to date.

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, just like the others, the engine completely died and would not restart. All the electronics on the dash seemed fine, radio, AC, etc. But even after letting it rest, No restart. You can hear the starter clicking trying to turn the engine, but no luck. At the dealership, first tech under the hood said starter was firing correctly but engine would not turn over.
Any extra smoke or fumes out the tailpipe?
Hopefully your dealer is taking care of your loaner vehicle without issue. You can plan on 4-8 weeks of downtime depending on parts/labor availability. At least I am, maybe they will surprise me.......

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looks like you can add my ‘21 Badlands to the list. I took delivery in late Nov. and with roughly 3,200 miles, my 2.7L died on me in the middle of driving. “Trailer Brake System Failure” keeps reappearing on the display. Dealership has it now and I should know tomorrow if I had a bad valve and now a bad engine. I will get a photo of the engine manufacturing info tomorrow when I go back to the dealership. Didn’t find this blog until I had already gotten home. Totally bummed. Hopefully get a quick swap out if required.
Please if uuu can get a pic of the info. I’m 10 days before the know failures and I’m nervous as heck lol. It would be great if ford could/would track down the date the bad batch of valves started getting used and last known date used. I’m just over 2k for miles so 😳😳.

Sponsored

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hah I guess I'm just overreacting. First time I ever spent this much money on a vehicle.
I would not be the least bit worried (well it is Ford so..). My wife's Audi Q5 had to have the engine replaced at 60k. Got the new engine replaced and no issues since and had 180k at trade-in last year. Figure it is just bonus miles at that point. 4 yo car with no miles on the engine. Anyhow, even at the dealer where they knew about the issue no value was deducted or mentioned when they met the Carmax pricing.

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like you can add my ‘21 Badlands to the list. I took delivery in late Nov. and with roughly 3,200 miles, my 2.7L died on me in the middle of driving. “Trailer Brake System Failure” keeps reappearing on the display. Dealership has it now and I should know tomorrow if I had a bad valve and now a bad engine. I will get a photo of the engine manufacturing info tomorrow when I go back to the dealership. Didn’t find this blog until I had already gotten home. Totally bummed. Hopefully get a quick swap out if required.
Hope you follow the info on the first page/post and report it to the NHTSA.

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After a couple days of non-response via text, I called my Service Mgr and.....he no longer works there. WTF! Waiting on a call back from my new contact. I now have zero faith in anything he told me, especially if he was finishing up his 2 week notice...... If I could spare any, I'd rip some hair out.

*edit* New contact has confirmed on backorder "until 3/3", pending his answer on how we deal with the fact that all the coolant went out the tailpipe, thereby fouling the cats. For reference it blew on 2/6 and was towed there 2/7.

Last edited:

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

21179 Julian date engine build and 9,700 on the clock. Stay the course Bronco faithful. (y)

Sponsored

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought an F350 based on the assumption that if any of the spark plugs on the 5.4 were going to spontaneously depart the motor, they would have by 180,000 miles, it went on to prove my assumption incorrect twice before spinning a main bearing at 218,000 miles... $2,000 for 38,000 miles wasn't that bad, but I've done better.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good to hear.

But installing replacement engines built in May of last year?? Wtf. Thought the 2.7 was constrained. How can a part be constrained when Ford is sitting on builds from 9 months ago?? The plot thickens.

Just own it already Ford.
2.7 constraint could be due to the different computer used on this engine or one of the many parts specific to this engine in short supply. There are a bunch of -E long blocks sitting in the Memphis PDC so it's likely a chipset issue or other bolt on part they're having trouble getting.

cclkramer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 ford f350 diesel dually
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

21214 here also. 31426. Sitting at about 3500 miles at the moment.

Changed oil at 1700 miles in November after a fairly by the book 300 mile break-in around the local area then a 1400 mile road trip where I drove at 85-90+ mph clip for a good portion of those miles. Absolutely zero issues with my Bronco except this gnawing worry in the back of my mind.

I've passed up multiple road trips in it because sometimes you gotta be somewhere and hours (if not a day or two) stuck on the side of the road or in a strange town are not an option. You don't want to miss your kid's State Championship game because you are stuck on the side of the road two hours from nowhere (especially when you are the coach lol).

Signed up for Off-Rodeo Vegas in early April. That's almost an 8 hr. drive for me through the middle of nowhere and I'll be driving the Bronco unless it grenades before then. Do you think they will fight me on cancellation fees if I'm stuck on the side of the road?
It's like having a case of 24 hour diarrhea and having to maintain a safe distance to the toilet! Cant wander out too far! I plan on getting a Sat phone before I take any adventures. Too bad Ford wont put out an official statement about the whole situation.

1stBroncoBase

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Bronco (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's like having a case of 24 hour diarrhea and having to maintain a safe distance to the toilet! Cant wander out too far! I plan on getting a Sat phone before I take any adventures. Too bad Ford wont put out an official statement about the whole situation.
Yea, I am looking at: Inmarsat IsatPhone 2 Handheld Satelite Smartphone

This will be my first Ford...
Sponsored

Reactions: jon