First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure if I missed this article anywhere else on here, but I'm stunned after reading this article. If their sources are right this is a whole new level.

https://fordauthority.com/2022/06/ford-bronco-2-7l-v6-ecoboost-engine-failures-explained-exclusive/

As some are already aware, part of the problem with these 2.7L powerplants is that they utilize cheaper, sub-optimal valves that were acquired from a new supplier that apparently didnā€™t properly validate those particular components. But in addition to the faulty valves, the Broncoā€™s version of the 2.7L V6 EcoBoost also utilizes a less than optimal oil pan design as well, which allows the oil pickup tube to become uncovered and suck in air, which in turn can destroy not only valves, but bearings as well, particularly during spirited or erratic driving when oil is sloshing around inside the powerplant.
Ok, so the ticking valve noises some owners had prior to finding excessive metal particles in the oil filter, which resulted in @Ford Motor Company replacing their engines NOW makes some sense. Not enough oil at the cams and valves assembly due to oil pan design flaws could result in excessive wear and premature valve failure. But this is a separate issue from the out of spec valves. This article is the first place I learned of a newer cheaper supplier not doing their job to insure their products were made to spec.Disgusting!!! When will we learn the name of this shoddy company so we can shame them here?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This article is the first place I learned of a newer cheaper supplier not doing their job to insure their products were made to spec.
Just remember...that's the same thing we said about Webasto initially. There's always More to the story!

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'd like to know who made these "Cheap" valves
Me too. But I think the more pertinent question is whether or not they met Ford's spec? And whether or not they passed Ford's internal performance tests before they were loaded into my July 1, 2021 2.7l?

Sponsored

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Me too. But I think the more pertinent question is whether or not they met Ford's spec? And whether or not they passed Ford's internal performance tests before they were loaded into my July 1, 2021 2.7l?
I am not ready to jump on Ford for the quality issue based on the statement:

"a new supplier that apparently didnā€™t properly validate those particular components"

Last edited:

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
"a new supplier that apparently didnā€™t properly validate those particular components"
Ford establishes a spec, a QA process, and also performance metrics. I would assume they also perform some internal performance testing themselves.

If the supplier is guilty of fraud, we should be seeing court papers filed very soon.

R11

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.basequatch.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actually I'm a little more concerned about the oil pickup problems...

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nice !
Someone who really is driving it like they stole it. šŸ˜‚
23k miles in 6 months, definitely driving it like it's stolen.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'd like to know who made these "Cheap" valves.
I think it was Manley. I base that off the valve availability on Rock Auto, Exhaust Valves were available at the time, but strangely, intake valves were not around the same time this was first suspected to be an issue.

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think it was Manley. I base that off the valve availability on Rock Auto, Exhaust Valves were available at the time, but strangely, intake valves were not around the same time this was first suspected to be an issue.
Oh, I hope Scott Manley doesnā€™t have anything to do with them. ;-)

https://youtube.com/c/szyzyg

OP
OP
Lucchese

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If it flies, it spies!!! Lol. My kids got a kick out of it.

The article is on their website and on their Facebook page.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2022/06/06/i-made-a-turn-and-it-just-died-without-warning-feds-investigate-ford-bronco-engine-failures/
nice job !
- and great reporting by Rod Meloni ! - ( WDIV Channel 4 Detroit )
- added link in opening post

Not sure if I missed this article anywhere else on here, but I'm stunned after reading this article. If their sources are right this is a whole new level.

https://fordauthority.com/2022/06/ford-bronco-2-7l-v6-ecoboost-engine-failures-explained-exclusive/

As some are already aware, part of the problem with these 2.7L powerplants is that they utilize cheaper, sub-optimal valves that were acquired from a new supplier that apparently didnā€™t properly validate those particular components. But in addition to the faulty valves, the Broncoā€™s version of the 2.7L V6 EcoBoost also utilizes a less than optimal oil pan design as well, which allows the oil pickup tube to become uncovered and suck in air, which in turn can destroy not only valves, but bearings as well, particularly during spirited or erratic driving when oil is sloshing around inside the powerplant.

much thx posting
- hadn't seen this new article by Brett Foote
- added link in opening post

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it flies, it spies!!! Lol. My kids got a kick out of it.

The article is on their website and on their Facebook page.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...feds-investigate-ford-bronco-engine-failures/
The Bronco is my first car with ASS. At first I didn't think it was so bad but I never got over the feeling that the car stalled and might not restart. Guess I've owned too many hoopties.

I installed the auto stop eliminator. Now the Bronco remembers the state of the ASS button so when I turn it off, it stays off.
https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/ford/products/2021-ford-bronco-autostop-eliminator

Broncoshrimp

Badlands
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco is my first car with ASS. At first I didn't think it was so bad but I never got over the feeling that the car stalled and might not restart. Guess I've owned too many hoopties.

I installed the auto stop eliminator. Now the Bronco remembers the state of the ASS button so when I turn it off, it stays off.
https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/ford/products/2021-ford-bronco-autostop-eliminator
Same! Iā€™ve never had a vehicle with ASS (I feel really weird writing thisā€¦lol), and Iā€™m programmed to hit the button every time I drive (my husband hasnā€™t been programmed to do this yet šŸ˜›).

This is $100 well spent! Thanks!
Sponsored