Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I’ve driven with both motors, 2.3 is adequate, 2.7 has balls.
Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
No. I'll likely stick with the 2.7L. The 2.3L would be more than adequate but when it comes to resale, I should easily recoup the cost of the 2.7L. I average 5K miles per year. In 5 years, the 2.7L would have 25K miles on it. It should fetch a premium to interested buyers.
Ah. Can't agree with that but to each their own. Cars depreciate. The less you can spend on one that still has general appeal the better.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What kind of MPGs do you get?
I have had two F150s with a 2.7. One had 3.73 gears the other 3.55. Both averaged a bit over 20 combined, driving somewhat aggressive. They break in about 15k and get better mileage as they “age “. Fantastic motors, definitely faster than the 5.0 (drag raced my buddies identical F150 several times) and gets about 2mpg better in the F150. I also had a 3.73 Coyote F150 6sp btw. It’s fast and fun to drive for sure. I would not go back to the V8. The 2.3 is nice as well, my son just bought a 2020 FX4 Ranger and it’s got excellent power with the 3.73 gearing and 31” tires. He is already getting about 22mpg, but he drives like an old lady .

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Found an article on the latest Ford Transit van from CarAndDriver. You can see that article here. If you scroll down to the specs, it states that it has the 3.5 ecoboost, which I know is a significantly different engine, but it’s rated at the same numbers for HP and torque in this application as the 2.7L for the bronco. This also states that the van weighs almost 6000 pounds, which is much more than the heaviest bronco. It made it 0-60 in 6.7 seconds?! I’m feeling pretty excited about the 2.7L for the bronco.
I drive a Ford transit and they’re surprisingly fast.

DaveM95

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a 2018 f150 supercrew with the 2.7 and it lights the rear tires up and has plenty of balls on the highway , not to mention it’s on 35’s

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah the 2.7 is gonna be seriously quick. The fastest SUV I’ve ever driven was the Nissan Armada rental while my Jeep was in the shop. Sounds like it’s around a 6.5-7 second 0-60 which I bet will be similar to 2.7 Bronco. It was seriously quick when you got on it, enough to get you in trouble for sure.

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree that it is a bargain. But lately, I have been thinking of sticking with the 2.3L for my particular use case. I'm getting the 2-dr with rear seat delete and won't be towing. I'm also a very conservative driver. In the 17 years that I've had my Jeep, I can say with certainty that I've never had it over 3500 rpms. I'm a notorious slow-poke even being chided for being in Grandpa Gear even though I'm not a grandpa. I want to get the 2.7L if only for the better resale, but I feel that it will likely be wasted and unnecessary.
I'm with you on this.

My only concern is it being enough to get on highways etc. We had a 2011 Terrain with a 2.4 L 4 cylinder and it was actually scary at times.

Granted, no turbo. But that's my where my hesitation comes from.

Also owned Saab 9-3 2.0 Turbo. Fun to drive. No concerns. I know different car, can't compare, but that's all I got.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah the 2.7 is gonna be seriously quick. The fastest SUV I’ve ever driven was the Nissan Armada rental while my Jeep was in the shop. Sounds like it’s around a 6.5-7 second 0-60 which I bet will be similar to 2.7 Bronco. It was seriously quick when you got on it, enough to get you in trouble for sure.
The armada is a v8 tho right ?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
The armada is a v8 tho right ?
Yessir, it’s about 390 torque 390 horsepower. It’s also an enormous and heavy vehicle though, and has a lot steeper gearing which is why I say Bronco will probably be similarly quick.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm with you on this.

My only concern is it being enough to get on highways etc. We had a 2011 Terrain with a 2.4 L 4 cylinder and it was actually scary at times.

Granted, no turbo. But that's my where my hesitation comes from.

Also owned Saab 9-3 2.0 Turbo. Fun to drive. No concerns. I know different car, can't compare, but that's all I got.
I am pretty biased towards the 2.7, but after test driving several Rangers with the 2.3, merging and passing won’t be a problem in most situations. It’s actually very torquey and moves out well. With either the 4.46 or 4.7 gears it should be good to go. The 2.7 is just that extra dose of fun! It will spin the tires at a roll on pavement and turn off traction control and spool the turbo a bit and it’s a full on mischief machine. Not that I would engage in mischief or the even more dangerous, Tom Foolery ?

Sponsored

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

TFL Trucks did some drag races before and after tuning, between an F-150 2.7 and an F-150 5.0L Coyote V8.

The 2.7 beat the 5 liter.
yeah a 2.7 will beat a 50 by a lot the 3.5 is slower off the line but it hits vtec quick and jumps past the 2.7 but with a 10 speed that 2.7 is insane

broncoskip

Outer Banks
First Name
Broncoskip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Let's look and see.

My 2014 Explorer Ecoboost gets 365hp,350ftlbs torque, it weighs 4500lbs. It gets a 6.5 second 0-60. This car feels peppy to me, and is a great car to drive on the highway.,

My 2011 F150 has 360hp/380ftlbs it weighs 5557lbs. It gets a 6.2 second 0-60. This truck gets up and goes even if pulling a trailer.

The Wrangler Unlimited. (4 Door) I had a 2016 3.6L with 285hp and not much more torque. 0-60 in 7.6 seconds. I lifted it with 35s and didn't notice a hit in gas mileage or throttle response. The jeep didn't feel slow. It felt slower than my other two cars but I never felt like I couldn't hang with traffic. Before or after the 3 inchs and 35s. I took this thing down I95 without pause. The bigger problems i had with it are already solved in Bronco. The lift made the Jeep handle like a 1988 Freightliner, it was all over the place. I averaged 18mpg in the Wrangler, after the lift.

The Bronco's curb weight is still an unknown, but should be in the Jeep range of 4200-4800lbs. Even with the transmission gearing for off-road, I expect the 2.7l in the Bronco 4door to be under 7 seconds, but not less than 6.5. This is going to feel peppy, especially in a 2door.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The Bronco's curb weight is still an unknown, but should be in the Jeep range of 4200-4800lbs. Even with the transmission gearing for off-road, I expect the 2.7l in the Bronco 4door to be under 7 seconds, but not less than 6.5. This is going to feel peppy, especially in a 2door.
Bronco curb weight is not unknown. Ford has the figures posted. It's anywhere from 4,319lbs for a 2-door base 2.3 7-speed to 5320lbs for a loaded 4-door 2.7

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That sounds like a good plan and you've just given me lots to think about

I never once before customized my vehicle. The way I sold it was the same way I bought it. But with the Bronco I will be going balls to the wall with this stuff. So I'm trying to absorb as much as I possibly can. My immediate enhancements will be the stereo, adding tints, Ford accessories, and painting the brake calipers for appearance

But my year 3 or 4 plan is to refresh the vehicle entirely by possibly tuning in, and slapping a green matte wrap on it. Itll hopefully re invigorate my love for the Bronco (because let's be honest, by year 4 the honeymoon period will be over).
I would say the tune itself is not problematic, that additional wear on the engine, is from driving the car hard, because you have the tune. In my case, the most dramatic difference was in the auto transmission shifting, felt like a 1960's Buick when I got it shifting, and completely different, after the tune. This was on my 2013 V6, and I also cut a bit more than half a second off 0-60 times (track app, same road stretch each time). Overall if you don't change your driving habits (don't turn into total lead foot, when you are normally not) you wont see any decline in motor longevity.
Sponsored