First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was inspired by others that did the rear seat delete on their 2 door Broncos so I thought I would share my photos. The one thing I didn't see in other threads was the dimensions, so I posted a sketch of mine. As some earlier guys mentioned in their projects, this is sort of a cut/sand....test fit....cut a little more, sand a little more...test fit again sort of project. At least it was for me. But, it was fun and quite simple, just a little bit time consuming.

I will say - the rear seats come out easy -- but I didn't want to disassemble the seat belts from the seats! That looked like a pain in the ass, especially if you ever wanted to swap the seats back in again, you'd have to re-assemble them! So I bought two new rear seat belts from Tasca Ford - about $100 or so with shipping. That way, I plug them in, keep them tucked under the foam -- and I didn't have to mess with taking apart the buckles on my seats. If I ever swap them back in the truck, should be simple and quick.

I used 1/2" CD plywood. I normally use Oak or Birch veneer plywood on most of my projects, but since I was spraying the plywood with glue and putting down carpet, I really didn't see much point in buying hardwood veneer plywood. I still spent 20+ minutes sanding the plywood with 100 grit sandpaper on my DA sander...well, cause that's just the way I am, lol. I used a roll of the charcoal gray indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot, about $25. So with the 4x8 sheet of plywood, can of 3M 77 spray adhesive, and the roll of carpet, that's about $80 or so. I didn't put the bolts back on after I took the seats out. I used some thick foam around the posts (see photos) - and for the holes in the floor, I put a self-adhesive felt pad on those. Then I covered the area with foam workout mat to give the plywood a relatively smooth, even surface to lay on. So add the foam kneeling pad and exercise mat, and I guess my total cost was maybe $135.

I've done a lot of home improvement and building work so it wasn't difficult at all, just took some time. Definitely a worthwhile project, and fairly simple to boot.

rearplatform.jpg

rearplatform2.jpg

rearplatform3.jpg

rearplatform4.jpg

rearplatform5.jpg

rearplatform6.jpg

rearplatform7.jpg
Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can you recline the seats fully still?
I used the Goose Gear setup after making my first attempt using birch...and found that the seat belt sensors must remain plugged in to the harness or it triggers a dash light. The birch worked pretty good, but the GG was more refined than I could have done without more tools. I took apart the seat belt receivers from the seats and velcro-ed the harnesses just behind the wire loom that crosses from the passenger side to the driver side. With the spacing that was needed to level the surface that gave me enough room to ensure that the velcro-ed harness wasn't at risk of being crushed. I also had to be careful because the windshield washer tube also crosses the floor right next to the wire loom...and it is just corrugated plastic and it leaks very easily (I know because mine did).

Bronc_Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used the Goose Gear setup after making my first attempt using birch...and found that the seat belt sensors must remain plugged in to the harness or it triggers a dash light. The birch worked pretty good, but the GG was more refined than I could have done without more tools. I took apart the seat belt receivers from the seats and velcro-ed the harnesses just behind the wire loom that crosses from the passenger side to the driver side. With the spacing that was needed to level the surface that gave me enough room to ensure that the velcro-ed harness wasn't at risk of being crushed. I also had to be careful because the windshield washer tube also crosses the floor right next to the wire loom...and it is just corrugated plastic and it leaks very easily (I know because mine did).
I just mean can the front seats still fully recline? or did you hug the platform right up to the seat backs.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just mean can the front seats still fully recline? or did you hug the platform right up to the seat backs.
When I made my first panel out of birch I left enough space in the cutout for the seats to go all the way back but to make them fully recline was impossible because the platform is higher than the portion of the rear seat that has to recline. The goose gear panel lets the seats push all the way back, and recline to a semu-upright position, but the seats will not recline flat. Even so, I have plenty of storage for a jacks and tools and my smittybilt compressor behind the front seat.

Sponsored

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice job you did. Do you have the Part #s for the rear seatbelts you ordered?

OP
OP
bcb1

bcb1

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Can you recline the seats fully still?
Yes, they fully recline. Originally I didn't notch out for the two front seats. But I didn't want the plywood that close, to where the seats touched it. So I pulled out the plywood and trimmed a couple inches on each side. The seats easily slide all the way back, and recline fully.

OP
OP
bcb1

bcb1

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Goose Gear is awesome! I really like the look and the quality. And if the price was in the $350-$500 range I would have bought it, but $1000 was a bit steep. Love the look and the quality though!

OP
OP
bcb1

bcb1

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nice job you did. Do you have the Part #s for the rear seatbelts you ordered?
Part NumberPart NamePriceQuantityTotal
MB3Z-6160044-AABuckle$49.831$49.83
MB3Z-6160045-AABuckle$49.831$49.83

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Goose Gear is awesome! I really like the look and the quality. And if the price was in the $350-$500 range I would have bought it, but $1000 was a bit steep. Love the look and the quality though!
I felt the same way after having had to deal with the botched initial one I was sent and even the second one that addressed most of the issues from the first one...500 seems much more plausible. There was another manufacturer that was rumored to be making a similar platform as the goose gear but out of aluminum...does anyone know what happened with that one?

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good idea removing the guts from the seat belts 👍🏻

I made my platform so it fits on the studs for mounting the seats, but I think the seat belts are holding up the front edge a little (wrapped in the yellow microfiber towels). I didn’t go as far forward as possible, I was working with a limited size piece of spare wood that was free rather than an entire sheet. The fridge couldn’t go any farther forward anyway. I may want to reinstall the rear passenger seat for around town in the summer, so this platform may get cut in half.

I was thinking I might be able to build a small pair of subwoofer enclosures in the rear passenger footwells under the platform, but I’d rather have the JL Audio stealth box.

Ford Bronco 2 Door Bronco rear seat delete, and carpeted platform w/ pics image

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am definitely taking out my rear seat. Currently 50/50 on deciding between Goose Gear and DIY. Watching all these threads with interest.
Sponsored