Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Bring back the dual-tank option?

Ford Bronco 2 Door Bronco- small gas tank annoying? 1974-ford-bronco-dual-gas-tank-option-302-v8-museum-quality-3.JPG

Don't have my Bronco yet but current FJ is about the same, 16 gallon tank good for about 300 miles.
Sponsored

EBG

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71EB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes.

I drive my Badlands every day, over 1,000 miles a month. Just about every time I drive it, have to stop for gas at some point. Fuel economy averages 18 mpg, which isn't great - but the engine is pushing an air-conditioned box with the aerodynamics of a barn door through the air at 80 mph, so it is what it is. At least fillups are easy - pop open the gas door, tap my card at the reader on the pump, put about 12 gallons in (I try to never go below 1/4 tank), done.

I'm used to larger tanks on my other vehicles - 26 gallons in my '01 GMC extended cab (supercharged 6.0L), and my '09 Pontiac G8 (6.0L), I would fill up maybe once or twice a week with those. They get around 20-22mpg depending on my right foot.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Filling up often can be an inconvenience but my only real issue with the tiny tank is when I head into remote, dirt road, areas of Nevada to camp, hunt and fish and the Bronco doesnā€™t carry enough gas to get around while in the back country and back to a gas station. Iā€™ve run out of gas in the back country when I was young and itā€˜s not much fun.

So Iā€™m now the proud owner of a TrailRax with PakRax to carry 4 over priced 3 gallon Rotopax on the sides, plus I got one of those Rock Slide spare tire straps that holds a couple more 2 gallon Rotopax so I can now carry 16 extra gallons and the Rotopax cans and mounts, plus the Rock Slide mounts and TrailRax and only cost a mere $2,600 ($1,500 for the TrailRax, $1,100 for everything else) :unsure::mad::ROFLMAO:

805Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 EB FSB Bronco; 2021 Outer Banks 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Having previously come from a 36 gallon aftermarket tank on my EB FSB; and a 44 gallon tank on my Excursion, it seems like I'm at the gas station way too frequently in my 21 2-door. I'd definitely prefer a larger tank option.

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4DR, 2007 Saturn Sky
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes.
I drove from San Antonio half way to Dallas, with a strong headwind, on an 80mph toll road, and it took an entire tank of gas. 13~mpg.

On the way back took a different road that was 70-75mph, with a tailwind, took half a tank of gas.

But yeah, the small tank compared to what my previous vehicle was is annoying.

Sponsored

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We were in the Outer Banks for a week a few weeks ago and drove quite a bit, everyday I would stop by Harris Teeter in the morning to fill the Bronco up, the guy working the gas pumps came over to admire the Bronco on the first day, by the 3rd day he said back again? He thought it was so funny seeing us every day. On friday he came by and wished me well and said he doesn't work the weekends so he wanted to say goodby, he would miss us. :)

labattbluebronco

Base
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 bronco, 18 silverado, 11 taurus, 01 wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The small tank is my concern with the new Bronco. While I don't have my Bronco yet, I have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler I-6 4.0 manual. The Jeep has a 19 gallon tank (15-16 useable) which gets me 220 miles on a good day (all on-road). I find it extremely annoying having to plan every trip around fuel stops. If I fill up at home, drive to the mountains (about 60 miles for me) and go exploring off-road, I have to find fuel in a hurry to make it back home. I can do the same route in my 1994 Bronco (lifted on 35's and 4.56 gearing) twice before I'm concerned about fueling up. The only saving grace is that the Jeep is uncomfortable, noisy, loud, and sucks to drive so stopping for fuel is a nice break.

My limited experience in the G6 Bronco (local off-road test drive) was comfortable and quiet. A longer range with combined on & off road would be great as the fuel availability near the areas I like to explore is limited. I will have to come up with a jerry can solution (RTR is the only one I've seen for 5 gallon cans that wasn't DIY). I plan on keeping all of my current vehicles for at least 6 months after receiving my 2023(?). I want to make sure it can be towed behind my motorhome and wheel as good as my Jeep, as well as, bring a big of smile to my face like when I get the 1994 Bronco out of the garage for some fun. The time behind the wheel will tell me whether or not I want to deal with the limited range. I'll then decide whether to sell the old or the new. I'm hoping my new ride wins.

choppersean

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands Sasquatch, 2-door, EG, 2.7, Auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Luckily I will know no difference from what you all are talking about. I have a 2008 Nissan Xterra that has a 20 gallon tank but it only gets like 15 or 16 mpg. My new 2-door Bronco.......provided Ford will ever find and ship it.......will have about the same range as I have experienced the last 15 years. No perceived change or annoyance for me, so I guess that is a good thing.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My old TJ had a 18 gal tank and got 15 mpg, so 18ish gallons and 22 mpg is all good.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Bring back the dual-tank option?

Ford Bronco 2 Door Bronco- small gas tank annoying? 1974-ford-bronco-dual-gas-tank-option-302-v8-museum-quality-3.JPG

Don't have my Bronco yet but current FJ is about the same, 16 gallon tank good for about 300 miles.
The originals had 15 and 10, the newer ones 12 and 10 and got maybe 10 mpg, so not great range. Now my 20 mpg Bronco Iis with a nicely tucked away 23 gallon tank were nice. The hangy down midships tank is the worst feature of the 6g, any bigger would just aggravate the issue.

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I feel like Im getting gas every other day just about. I avg about 250-270mi on a tank.

BROCK-O

Badlands
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just did a 4500 mile trip to Utah from Atlanta, Ga (which I'll post a thread about later). Honestly, with 260-300 mile range, you can go a few hours and WANT to stop and stretch your legs, get a snack, etc.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My question is how the hell are y'all gettin 20+ mpg? I haven't seen over 18.5 and I never drive over 70 mph.
Have to watch your boost and rpms. With the extra weight of steel bumpers and full bash plates, I still manage 21 mpg. Small increments can have a huge savings. On the highway, if I keep it at 74 and below, I maintain my 21 mpg. If I set the cruise at 75 and above, I get 19 mpg.
Sponsored