Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

telecommuting isn’t an option for me. However, my son, who is a CPA with a big accounting firm has almost exclusively worked from home since April. He is responsible for many interns and junior accountants. Telecommuting had been a disaster for those that need direct mentorship to learn their professions. Only so much can be explained via zoom and screen sharing. He this has cost several interns a job offer as they were unable to get the personal help they needed.
You're right about this, but I fear that the world of work has changed forever. From a safety standpoint, it'll be years before conference room meetings take place or we're even able to spend hours meeting with someone to work on a project one on one without a mask on. I'm trying to figure things out myself when not able to gather with my team. I'm Zoomed out and so are they.

The copy is bad for all published Bronco material for certain because they are all scattered and can't maintain focus.

That said, we're going to need to figure things out. Technology doesn't wait for us to catch up. Old heads may just need to realize it's time to retire before they're fired for not embracing change. I'm too young to wear that label, so I'm getting better at working with my team remotely and keeping them motivated and holding them accountable. By fall, we'll at least do 2 days per week in the office, but will stagger things and use jump space; even my office may be open for others to go in and work. Trust they'll love that! :ROFLMAO: Doesn't bother me, because if enjoying my view makes them focus and work harder; all for it.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I remember when enthusiasts WANTED feedback through the steering wheel from minor imperfections of on road driving. I would think this is highly desirable on a off-road 4x4. Maybe it's just me.

With nibble control and Ford Co-Pilot360™ technology − Auto High-Beam Headlamps − Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB), Pedestrian Detection and Forward Collision Warning with Dynamic Brake Support − Rear View Camera with backup assist grid lines, I'm starting to think the New Bronco is not for me. It's too cellphone-distracted-driver based oriented for me. I was thinking by including a manual transmission Ford was going a bit more retro and actually building a truck oriented to people who pay attention when they drive.

From the linked article...

"Active Nibble Control helps reduce vibrations that transfer through the steering wheel. This feature senses and eliminates the “shimmy” felt at high speeds when a wheel is out of balance or a brake rotor is warped." WTF. How is a driver now supposed to find out the vehicle he is driving has a tire or brake issue?

Ugh.
I hear you, and respect your perspective. Maybe you're a good candidate for a classic Bronco.

New cars will no longer be primitive. Fact is, most drivers can't drive for shit. However, somehow no one ever seems to admit that they drive for shit. Older drivers in particular are almost as dangerous as teenagers.

Sure, cell phones distract like crazy, but drivers have always been dangerous, nothing new about driver fatalities and bad accidents.

The safety tech is just that; for safety and it's tech, so there will be issues. Given that, cars have never been better or more drivable. All 40 year old cars drive like crap in comparison to today's vehicles, plus new cars are faster and perform much better.

No matter how much we love to reminisce about the "good ole days", they actually weren't so great and didn't feel like it back then either. When we get old, everything that was when we were young was always better. Why? Because we were young. When you get old, seems like everything sucks, but it doesn't, usually we just start to, not the changes.

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Why can't people understand that not all of us stick around areas where we have a nice strong cell signal???? Hell, most times when camping or off road I have ZERO.
Yup, I go places without a signal a lot too, but apparently you didn't read my whole post, so I'll just repeat this sentence again...
Google maps lets you download whole areas to your phone for offline navigation, so you don't need to have cell service for it to work.

There are other map and navigation apps that let you download maps so they are available offline as well.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup, I go places without a signal a lot too, but apparently you didn't read my whole post, so I'll just repeat this sentence again...
Google maps lets you download whole areas to your phone for offline navigation, so you don't need to have cell service for it to work.

There are other map and navigation apps that let you download maps so they are available offline as well.
And if you don't know what area you're going to be in? and maps are a large download if you are on a data plan, just a PIA to me, so much easier just to have the mapping ability built in to the Nav unit. I care much less about a little money than I do about ease of use.

Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So you going to have a dish antenna on your Bronco like some B-grad 50's si-fi movie :) for that starlink connection?
Damn right I will! going full doomsday prep with it. Shame about the towing capacity though. can't tow a harem worthy of repopulating the earth after the apocalypse with only 3500 lbs.

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

And if you don't know what area you're going to be in? and maps are a large download if you are on a data plan, just a PIA to me, so much easier just to have the mapping ability built in to the Nav unit. I care much less about a little money than I do about ease of use.
I have 9 maps saved that cover most any area I go to on a regular basis. If I am going to travel anywhere outside of those areas, I download them ahead of time. They don't take up a ton of space either.
All you have to do is download a map area once when you are on wifi. It stays on your phone for at a year if you don't update it. I have my offline maps set to auto-renew and only renew when I'm on wifi, so it won't use any cell data. It really isn't that hard.

If you wan't to spend the extra money for the built-in navigation, that's fine, but for me and the others out there that would rather not, this is a completely viable option.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Packaging Guide 1613337578439

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I hear you, and respect your perspective. Maybe you're a good candidate for a classic Bronco.

New cars will no longer be primitive. Fact is, most drivers can't drive for shit. However, somehow no one ever seems to admit that they drive for shit. Older drivers in particular are almost as dangerous as teenagers.

Sure, cell phones distract like crazy, but drivers have always been dangerous, nothing new about driver fatalities and bad accidents.

The safety tech is just that; for safety and it's tech, so there will be issues. Given that, cars have never been better or more drivable. All 40 year old cars drive like crap in comparison to today's vehicles, plus new cars are faster and perform much better.

No matter how much we love to reminisce about the "good ole days", they actually weren't so great and didn't feel like it back then either. When we get old, everything that was when we were young was always better. Why? Because we were young. When you get old, seems like everything sucks, but it doesn't, usually we just start to, not the changes.
I'm no Luddite by any means. I don't think everything sucks. And I'm not old enough to ignore tech, in fact I enthusiastically work in a business that advances the tech of air traffic safety. Cars a decade ago drive very well and require attention to the task at hand, not the cell phone in your hand. People who drive badly usually end up losing their privilege to drive anyway; hopefully they don't kill anyone in the process. Based on my 40+ year driving experience, bad driving people are few and far between. And I have a lot of road miles under my belt. At some point the tech can't save you, but in some cases it will lead a driver into a false sense of security; I can cite hundreds of cases, just with Tesla alone. And tech can lead to bad driving habits that necessarily wouldn't arise unless the tech existed.

But nibble capability in EPAS I think is dangerous. When I was 17 or so, a group of friends and I were on a weekend trip with one my friend's father. Heading down to the beach in the late fall we were in his '76 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. The steering wheel had developed a slight shake that grew more intense. We all got out, and me being the gearhead of the group popped the big-ass hubcap. Sure enough two lug nuts were rolling around in the hubcap and the other three were backed off the hub a few millimeters. His dad was white as a ghost with the thought he could have wrecked with three of his son's best friends. He just had the Caddy serviced and the Tech must have not torqued the lugs down. We buttoned it all up and headed on our way, NBD, but I'd hate to see a Ford with EPAS not let the driver know in time the lugs on his car were about to let the wheel distance itself from the hub. Some tech is great and some tech is unnecessary and in fact retrograde. I think steering feel or brake feel is important and shouldn't be artificially damped out of the system. Somethings shouldn't be automated.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Halfsmoke00

Base
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Ford Escape AWD V6, '91 Plymouth Acclaim V6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Why can't people understand that not all of us stick around areas where we have a nice strong cell signal???? Hell, most times when camping or off road I have ZERO.
If I still have cell signal I'm not far enough away from people.

Sponsored

jorgem31

Outer Banks
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What’s active nibble?

Assume it' the same as on my wife's Escape. The steering wheel give a light shake to let you know you're over the line.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have 9 maps saved that cover most any area I go to on a regular basis. If I am going to travel anywhere outside of those areas, I download them ahead of time. They don't take up a ton of space either.
All you have to do is download a map area once when you are on wifi. It stays on your phone for at a year if you don't update it. I have my offline maps set to auto-renew and only renew when I'm on wifi, so it won't use any cell data. It really isn't that hard.

If you wan't to spend the extra money for the built-in navigation, that's fine, but for me and the others out there that would rather not, this is a completely viable option.

Well, I just hope you don't lose your phone :) Our situations are different, you go to the same places a lot, so this works for you. I go to different places all of the time, like in 2 or 3 month cross country trips, hell, sometimes my wife closes her eyes and just points to a spot on a US map, and we go, so I don't want to screw with downloading maps all of the time.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Eh, until I understand how Starlink handles VPN I'll then consider it. Website doesn't have much info.
Seeing as how a VPN is just a tunneled redirect via a encrypted server it shouldn't make much difference which provider you use, unless you're behind a firewall at work. I use a VPN all of the time, really cuts down on the tracking and spam :)

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

VPN is problematic. Behind firewall.
Yep, the main issue with VPN is speed. The VPN providers vary greatly in their ability to provide enough speed to make it viable for consumers used to high speed connections. I use Nord VPN as they have a lot of servers around the world and offer more speed than others, but it is still slow compared to cable or fiber. I use both a H/W and S/W firewall at home and VPN on phone or mobile laptop.
Sponsored