Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi OBX folks.

I’m looking to upgrade to 33” tires and was considering painting/powdercoating the wheels black.

Anyone done this on an OBX?

Thanks for any direction. I tried searching the forums but couldn’t find anything.
@Vigor had this done to his OBX and it turned out really nice. The black wheels give the Bronco a whole different appearance. It should have been a no brainer for Ford to add the option from the factory.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Based on reading post after post on this subject over the past couple of months, I'm ordering 275/70r18s (either coopers or falkens) and powder coating the stock wheels. That tire size seemed to have several testimonials as a sweet spot (sans-lift) for both function and appearance. Going to wait to see how it looks before deciding on a level.
My 2 cents on the OBX tire topic, this is my story so far.

It's not the size of the tire but the street look of the OEM Duelers that leave so much to be desired. For example the stock BD comes with Grabber ATx at 31.6" which is actually a bit smaller than the OBX but look incredible in person.

Knowing this, I'm actually keeping the same overall tire diameter for my OBX. Ordered 275/65R18 all-terrain tires which will be a bit wider but maintain 32". Nice part is no calibration of speedo is required.

I originally wanted the Grabber ATx after seeing it in person on the BD but the supply chain struck again and they are on backorder.

Was considering the Falken Wildpeak AT3W vs Toyo Open Country ATIII, both had great recommendations from B6G and independent reviews. However, Falken makes the Wildpeak in the Philippines and USA. Due to pandemic demand they also started shipping these from their Chinese factory. Tirerack does not let you specify country of origin when you order! I'm not a hardcore Made in America type (our Tiguan is made in Mexico) but something about having a tire say made in China on my Bronco makes me nauseous.

Staying away from anything E-Rated since I won't be towing or rock crawling and could use some added road comfort.

Dealer ordered and received 5 of the P-Rated Open Country ATIII this week and they should be going on upon delivery.

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Odyssey, 2023 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@Vigor had this done to his OBX and it turned out really nice. The black wheels give the Bronco a whole different appearance. It should have been a no brainer for Ford to add the option from the factory.
Thank you. I had sworn I’d seen this a while ago, and his Bronco is exactly what I was remembering.

Broncoder

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Was considering the Falken Wildpeak AT3W vs Toyo Open Country ATIII, both had great recommendations from B6G and independent reviews. However, Falken makes the Wildpeak in the Philippines and USA. Due to pandemic demand they also started shipping these from their Chinese factory. Tirerack does not let you specify country of origin when you order! I'm not a hardcore Made in America type (our Tiguan is made in Mexico) but something about having a tire say made in China on my Bronco makes me nauseous.

Staying away from anything E-Rated since I won't be towing or rock crawling and could use some added road comfort.

Dealer ordered and received 5 of the P-Rated Open Country ATIII this week and they should be going on upon delivery.
Thanks for the input. Was already leaning a bit more in the direction of the Cooper Discoverers due to price, but that pretty much seals it (thought I'm not 100% if the specific tires I'm looking at are made domestically or in Hangzhou).

Edit:
Wasn't considering the Toyos before, but 3PMS in addition to what you've had to say about them really has me rethinking my choice. Thanks again.

Sponsored

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thank you. I had sworn I’d seen this a while ago, and his Bronco is exactly what I was remembering.
Thanks. Yeah I still get many compliments on the wheels when people see it.
I took this photo yesterday upon arriving at this mountain retreat in Asheville. With the black grill trims, the black wheels are a no brainer

Ford Bronco 33” tires on Outer Banks, anyone? 20220127_153450

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks. Yeah I still get many compliments on the wheels when people see it.
I took this photo yesterday upon arriving at this mountain retreat in Asheville. With the black grill trims, the black wheels are a no brainer

Ford Bronco 33” tires on Outer Banks, anyone? 20220127_153450
It’s sweet. What size tires? Any lift?

And what did it cost to Powdercoat?

Koz44

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Next on my list for my OBX is new tires. I’ve been following all these threads and have been looking at 275/70/18 and now 265/65/18. My question is why anyplace I check prices where the have the “see if these fit your vehicle” checker always says these size tires won’t fit my Bronco?

Broncoder

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

...Nice part is no calibration of speedo is required.
Talked to service about recalibration should I opt for the larger tire, and was told they can't even do it on the new systems. Thought I'd share. Wondering if anyone heard the same or if I should look elsewhere for someone better informed (though this guy's credentials lead me to believe he knows what he's talking about). It's not the end of the world if it can't be done since we're talking a couple mph diff at higher speeds, I'm just wondering.

Ford Bronco 33” tires on Outer Banks, anyone? 1643478311436

Sponsored

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Talked to service about recalibration should I opt for the larger tire, and was told they can't even do it on the new systems. Thought I'd share. Wondering if anyone heard the same or if I should look elsewhere for someone better informed (though this guy's credentials lead me to believe he knows what he's talking about). It's not the end of the world if it can't be done since we're talking a couple mph diff at higher speeds, I'm just wondering.

Ford Bronco 33” tires on Outer Banks, anyone? 1643478311436
My dealer told me they can not do this recalibration either. Not sure if they just don’t want to or aren’t permitted to.

Seems like people here have done it themselves on Forscan if you’re interested. Others just live with the speedo slightly off.

Broncoder

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My dealer told me they can not do this recalibration either. Not sure if they just don’t want to or aren’t permitted to.

Seems like people here have done it themselves on Forscan if you’re interested. Others just live with the speedo slightly off.
Didn't even occur to me that Forscan might be a remedy. Thanks, I'll look into it.

JustinBC2

Outer Banks
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 Platinum, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Next on my list for my OBX is new tires. I’ve been following all these threads and have been looking at 275/70/18 and now 265/65/18. My question is why anyplace I check prices where the have the “see if these fit your vehicle” checker always says these size tires won’t fit my Bronco?
AFAIK All the sites use the stock size as "the only size" that will fit your vehicle. They just don't want to be responsible for people ordering bigger sizes that don't end up fitting for some reason.

I have 285/75r18s = 35s on my OBX. This is the biggest you can go on stock wheels without much rubbing and can leave crash bars on! This size mostly comes in E rated tires though.

275/75r18s are a great size or 285/70r18s ...............265/65r18s are really small 31.6" is that a typo?

Koz44

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks - I ended up getting the 275/65/18 Falken Wildpeaks. because I was looking for a 275 option that was not E rated. I saw 32. something earlier today when I was looking them up (not 31.6). They are basically the same height at the stock tires. I did it at my local dealer and they were going to recalibrate but when I picked them up they said it was not needed.

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks - I ended up getting the 275/65/18 Falken Wildpeaks. because I was looking for a 275 option that was not E rated. I saw 32. something earlier today when I was looking them up (not 31.6). They are basically the same height at the stock tires. I did it at my local dealer and they were going to recalibrate but when I picked them up they said it was not needed.
Any pics?
Sponsored