DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How does that look pushing 5,000lbs through an overbuilt 4x4 system on 35inch off-road tires? I'm not a tuner, I'd like something I can just weld the hood shut on.....
its
How does that look pushing 5,000lbs through an overbuilt 4x4 system on 35inch off-road tires? I'm not a tuner, I'd like something I can just weld the hood shut on.....
lifted Big tire Jeeps, Toyota’s, etc have done fine with much less for many year.

Read the Ranger road tests. It’s actually pretty quick. 15 sec quarter mile. 6.5 secs to 60.
Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
120 lbft at 2000rpm but 200+ at 2500 and 300lbft before 3000rpm.

That’s pretty quick. Jeep only has more torque from 0-2750 rpm. After that the bronco had a lot more.
The difference is huge off idle. 5.0 puts 160 ft-lbs to the wheels @ 1200 RPM (and 235 by 1600). Most won't care, as ford does an excellent job building boost VERY quickly @ part throttle. But go full throttle at a stop, and even the 2.7 takes a bit over a full second to get full boost (and that's with turbos verified smaller than the F150, an aero car, with really small/light wheels/tires, comparatively).

Now if you are used to wheeling an EB with cable throttle and a mild 398 stroker, you are not going to get that response, no matter what you do to the ecoboosts.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

off topic here, but imagine what a 351 with the aluminum boss block and heads, twin turbo, sequential injection. It would be hard to not make 600 hp at very low boost levels. and have durability through the roof.
That does sound sexy tbh, missed growing up with beasts like those, my household leased lux vehicles

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Its not any bigger/heavier than an xterra which has less power and does very well with what it has. The fact that bronco has turbos will help a lot (especially in high altitude places).

kbexperience

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 Lariat Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think the 2.7 V6 is underpowered. So that's the extent of my doubting even more the 4 cylinder. It just isn't sitting well with me after a week of being excited and thinking about it. 5000+ pounds (with Sasquatch) on that small displacement leads me to think it will not he durable. Probably why they restricted the manual on the Sasquatch. I'm waiting for further developments at this point. A Coyote V8 or a larger V6.
Underpowered? They put it in crew cab F150's and they haul a$$ for a full size truck. A V8 would be nice, but in no way is the 2.7 underpowered.

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Underpowered? They put it in crew cab F150's and they haul a$$ for a full size truck. A V8 would be nice, but in no way is the 2.7 underpowered.
This Bronco seems like a tank....but people seem to think it's actually based on a tank and not a modern vehicle. V8 might be cool but nowhere near what is actually needed to power this truck.

GT5050

Black Diamond
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My crew cab Ranger FX4 is 4600lbs roughly. And it has a 7500lb tow rating. The 2.3 is not just “adequate” it’s a terrific powertrain pairing and class leading amongst mid size trucks in terms of performance.

I have to believe the Bronco will be in the same ballpark weight-wise, and the 2.3 will be great

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had a 2017 STI. Sold it 4 months after receiving it (waited 4 months for it to be built and shipped). Sold it quick because it wasn't as fast as expected. Had a corvette as well and compared it to that. 40 HP difference and the STI just didn't do it for me. My mom had an ecoboost F150 at the time that felt much quicker than the STI. Ford has got it right with the ecoboost as much as i hate to admit.
You compared a true sports car to a suped up sedan. You got the expected result. Nothing against those lil subbies, rally sure, drift sure, but raw sport power, nope.
Also whether your moms truck was faster or not. Something big with any good speed at all will feel very fast. The bronco 4 door looks pretty big to me so the either ecoboost should make it feel fast.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's not the power I question, its the durability. I'm quite used to driving underpowered 4 bangers. They get the job done. But I'm also not in a machine anything like what this looks to be. With all that power being squeezed out of that little guy I question how long it will hold up. Seems like a recipe for blowing heads.
I get that also sir. All I can add is I have friends that have F-150's with the 2.7L, and the bigger 3.5L TT. None have said anything about having problems. And some of the older 3.5's have quite a few mile on them.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I get that also sir. All I can add is I have friends that have F-150's with the 2.7L, and the bigger 3.5L TT. None have say anything about having problems. And some of the older 3.5's have quite a few mile on them.
Pound for pound the 4door Bronco looks like the same size as a F150, if not a little heavier, but Ford doesn't offer the 2.3L turbo in the F150....

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

we have a 2.0L turbo 4 in our Volvo and it's plenty. it's only got 250hp versus the fords 270hp.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Pound for pound the 4door Bronco looks like the same size as a F150, if not a little heavier, but Ford doesn't offer the 2.3L turbo in the F150....
No but ford has the 3.3 n/a in the f150 that’s a lot weaker than the 2.3
Sponsored