NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I found the 2.7L to be underwhelming in the F150, combined with issues keeping it out of the service bay I don’t see any way to drop my own money on that pile. I’ll give the 2.3 with the 7 speed a chance but if it’s as bad as the 2.7 then I’m going to be disappointed. Ford did so much right and then saddled the Bronco with the 2 least interesting engines in their truck portfolio.
Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I found the 2.7L to be underwhelming in the F150, combined with issues keeping it out of the service bay I don’t see any way to drop my own money on that pile. I’ll give the 2.3 with the 7 speed a chance but if it’s as bad as the 2.7 then I’m going to be disappointed. Ford did so much right and then saddled the Bronco with the 2 least interesting engines in their truck portfolio.
My 2.3t was solid, no issues other than the upgraded intercooler being too close to the AC unit, but more tight squeeze from tuner installing it

Dealer fixed and that was that

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just something to add about the differences... per Ford's site...

the first column is for the 2.3 and the second for the 2.7. I have no idea which is better, but the I4 as Mechanical Buckets and Aluminum block, where the 2.7 has Roller Fingers and apparently a computer generated animated image!

Valve liftersDirect Acting Mechanical BucketsRoller Finger Follower
Engine block materialAluminumCompacted Graphite Iron (CGI)

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
As many, I’m sure, have pointed out, there are tons of examples (no pun intended) of heavier vehicles being powered by lower output motors than the 4dr Bronco with the 4-cylinder. Hell, a pentastar wrangler unlimited rubicon is on par... 4-runner is worse... etc.

Sponsored

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have no problem with a 4-cyl power plant if it has the torque and HP. I just wish they’d invent one that put out an 8-cyl exhaust note. :(

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Jeeps with less power or in the 2.0t's case, displacement, are running 37's w/no issues, especially the underpowered Gladiator with that 3.6

This isn't the old days, engines are made much better now
off topic here, but imagine what a 351 with the aluminum boss block and heads, twin turbo, sequential injection. It would be hard to not make 600 hp at very low boost levels. and have durability through the roof.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have no problem with a 4-cyl power plant if it has the torque and HP. I just wish they’d invent one that put out an 8-cyl exhaust note. :(
Back in the day my dad helped his cousin build a pulling tractor with two 440 chryslers. they really just ran a chain around the two flywheels and put the transmission in the middle. You could always give that a shot.
The next season they got a deal on some old Allison V12s and went with that instead.

ParsonsWV

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Cummins, 2020 Gt500 ordered
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Like I said, I'm hopeful. But let's just say that if they took the 310HP engine from an STI and put it in a car that weighs half a ton more than the Impreza, I would NOT be impressed. At 4950lbs for a loaded 2 door 2.3L, a mere 120ftlbs of torque @ 2000RPM is... Well, disappointing. I've already got one car that can't accelerate going up a hill. I don't want another. All the dynos I've seen suggest that I need to get cheeks in seat before forming an opinion. So that's my plan right now.
I had a 2017 STI. Sold it 4 months after receiving it (waited 4 months for it to be built and shipped). Sold it quick because it wasn't as fast as expected. Had a corvette as well and compared it to that. 40 HP difference and the STI just didn't do it for me. My mom had an ecoboost F150 at the time that felt much quicker than the STI. Ford has got it right with the ecoboost as much as i hate to admit.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Or, I could ask what other peoples thoughts are. The last time I bought a brand new vehicle was a 1999 Toyota Tacoma. If I do buy a new Bronco, I will drive it into the ground. Ideally that would be 10 plus years from now.
Haha you are used to driving a slow vehicle.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Haha you are used to driving a slow vehicle.
Exactly. I want a slow, reliable truck! Someone is finally catching on. I'd rather see a NA V6 with 180hp (that 99 tacoma) than the boosted 4. The fuel economy would probably be the exact same.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Exactly. I want a slow, reliable truck! Someone is finally catching on. I'd rather see a NA V6 with 180hp (that 99 tacoma) than the boosted 4. The fuel economy would probably be the exact same.
I had an 86 22R 5spd toyota pickup. Terribly slow, but fun. Now that i am older and have a family, i am over slow vehicles. There are too many idiots on the road and driving a vehicle with the better accelerating vehicle helps.

Dmk08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As someone coming from an 08 4runner I have done nothing but regular maintenance on it since it was new I think you need to table Toyota like reliability / depreciation expectations. It was hard for me to come to terms with this as well.

But in the end it is a Ford....

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had an 86 22R 5spd toyota pickup. Terribly slow, but fun. Now that i am older and have a family, i am over slow vehicles. There are too many idiots on the road and driving a vehicle with the better accelerating vehicle helps.
I had the same truck years ago. It’s what I learned to drive stick on! It had almost NO power but a blast to drive and rev out that 100ish hp motor.
Sponsored