OP
OP
FerkinBlonco

FerkinBlonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 KLR 650, 2022 Bronco Base (2dr/7mt/CO)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Makes sense that it's an efficiency req I guess. There's probably some EPA standard that requires Ford to provide the tools to a user to show them how to meet the mileage claim. Probably in normal driving conditions folks would meet that naturally - bet it's one of those reqs where they have to kind of roll their eyes and implement it so that they can check a check box on their checklist.

I think it'll be interesting to flip the indicator on once in a while, though, so long as I can flip it off later. And then turn it off. Being a first time terbo owner, I'll be curious to see if the factory recommended shift conditions line up with what I would otherwise do. On my ninjie i just rev it to 11k and scream in my helmet, I'm guessing I'll have to adopt a different strategy for the bronco. Only time will tell.
Sponsored

BroncoBLMT

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Silverado, & Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I, personally, don't know about the indicator. In this instance, less is more to me, and I think it would be nice to have one less input as I move along.

Like riding a bike. I bet you'll have the clutch friction point committed to muscle memory... and your shift points figured out by the end of the first drive. Save the manual!

chipstar

Badlands
First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The shift light is government required for efficiency.
My last 3 manuals did not have a shift light... 2003 WRX, 2005 S2000, 2011 WRX. Don't think I've seen one in any newer model I've been in either. Where is it saying "required?"

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have owned four standard trans vehicles. The latest was a 2013 Jetta I bought for my daughter. The others were old. I think a couple may not have even had a tach. Maybe? Can't remember if the Jetta had the light or not. I don't think I ever looked at a tach after the first time I drove a vehicle. After feeling what approaching red line was both in sound and vibration I don't think I ever looked at it again. I just shifted when it felt right. Disclaimer, I never owned a vehicle where optimal shifting would even be considered to maximize performance.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I’ve never seen a light to tell me to shift in 50 years of driving stick shifts unless you mean that red section you bump the tach needle up to when getting on the highway.

mac62989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma Sport Access Cab, 2001 Trans AM WS6
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=14368&flag=1
A vehicle with a shift indicator is tested for mpg differently then one without. A small car may get such a high mpg it does not need any help to get the best mpg it can get on the test. A big heavy vehicle like the bronco needs all the help it can get to pass the mpg requirement.
I have a 2020 Tacoma which is heavy enough and not fuel efficient, no shift light..

Sponsored

mac62989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma Sport Access Cab, 2001 Trans AM WS6
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Toyota sells so many hybrids they have no problem meeting the corporate fuel efficiency requirements.
Yes they do, didn't even consider it had to do with overall fleet MPG which is a great point. Same reason the FJ got axed years ago..

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=14368&flag=1
A vehicle with a shift indicator is tested for mpg differently then one without. A small car may get such a high mpg it does not need any help to get the best mpg it can get on the test. A big heavy vehicle like the bronco needs all the help it can get to pass the mpg requirement.
I read it, beyond it being more than 35 years old, and likely superseded since then, it clearly states OPTIONAL to the manufacturer and it would average the readings of with and without a SIL (Sift Indicator Light). It was amusing to read the testing requirements (general public had to do the driving if using a speed table and so on), but it is/was up to the manufacturer. Please refrain from stating it is mandatory in the future based on this document. Try to keep the already rampant misinformation in this forum to a minimum. Thanks!

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it's a separate light on the dash, just pull the bulb out.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IMO, the only good use for a shift light is on a race track. On bikes it’s usually a very bright light high on the tach where you can see it in your peripheral vision while crouched under the bubble. I set mine on my Gixxer lower than stock so that I could make my shifts before hitting the rev limiter, which costs you time and speed.

As was said earlier, the Focus ST had the green up and down arrows in a very inconspicuous spot on the dash. I never noticed them except when they were used for configuration settings with my tuner. This is where they may come in handy with our Broncos!
Sponsored