Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've had mustangs, wranglers, and a pontic all with a stick. This is the first car/truck I've driven where I felt I needed to shift way too soon from 1st to 2nd. I tried starting in 2nd but it only works if I'm moving, even a little. I'm shifting into second while making a turn from a dead stop. Perhaps it's just getting used to it but I may get myself 35s as that may solve this problem.

Regarding clunky 1-2 gear shifts. This continues even after the transmission has been warmed up. I usually automatically shift in 2nd before putting it in 1st (without releasing the clutch). not sure if that helps with aligning the syncros but I do it out of habit. If I shift very slowly or double clutch it helps a little. but again is that normal? I tried at multiple RPMs as I'm trying to make the transition as smooth as I can. but even with my truck in the driveway, it does not shift from 1-2 smoothly at idle.

I'm not forcing it and there isn't much resistance. It just "clunks" as I put it into gear. That is the best way I can describe it. The transmission is great. I am only referring to the actual shifting from 1st to 2nd (and back) and to some extent from 2nd to 3rd whether while driving or at a standstill.

I'll schedule a service appointment and will post what they say.
Hey there! Wanted to see if you ever got this checked at your service appointment. Experiencing a similar 1-2 shift feel. 3 onwards is smooth as butter, but 1 & 2 are sometimes clunky. Getting into 2nd almost feels like a double click type feel.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TommyBronco

TommyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey there! Wanted to see if you ever got this checked at your service appointment. Experiencing a similar 1-2 shift feel. 3 onwards is smooth as butter, but 1 & 2 are sometimes clunky. Getting into 2nd almost feels like a double click type feel.
I’ve decided to wait until i bring it in for an oil change. I’ll post an update when I do.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’ve decided to wait until i bring it in for an oil change. I’ll post an update when I do.
We appreciate it. Partly out of our own impatience, we all recommend that you get that first oil change done at a pretty short interval to clear anything that may be in the engine from the factory. There are some stories on here of people seeing really gross oil after the first 2-3k.

AlexInNY

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 428; Grand Wagoneer; MB 230E; Pacifica
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

FWIW, I had the same odd shift from 1 to 2 but I’m now at 1,800 miles and it seems to have gone away.

annieVonBebop

Badlands
First Name
annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Xterra XE 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm at 1500 miles and still having 1st-2nd clunks as well. Good to hear it cleared up for some folks

Sponsored

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

1900 mile update: No more "double click" shifts if I ease it into the gate and let the synchros do their magic for the rest of the shift. Most likely user error from my end, forcing the shifter as a manual transmission noob :cool:

annieVonBebop

Badlands
First Name
annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Xterra XE 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4500 miles in and the 1st to 2nd shift isn't clunky all the time anymore and I've found that the way I grab and pull the shifter is making a difference on it not happening as much - ie my hand is making more of a 90 degree angle with the side of the shifter and I'm pulling it straight back, vs before when I was grabbing from the top. Not sure if that makes sense but it seems to be helping.

It's definitely still happening though :(

My dealer has a quick lane service center that's routinely at least a 2 hour wait and it's months to get an appointment. May have them peep it when I get an oil change in the next few weeks but feeling like my hands are sort of tied.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

4500 miles in and the 1st to 2nd shift isn't clunky all the time anymore and I've found that the way I grab and pull the shifter is making a difference on it not happening as much - ie my hand is making more of a 90 degree angle with the side of the shifter and I'm pulling it straight back, vs before when I was grabbing from the top. Not sure if that makes sense but it seems to be helping.

It's definitely still happening though :(

My dealer has a quick lane service center that's routinely at least a 2 hour wait and it's months to get an appointment. May have them peep it when I get an oil change in the next few weeks but feeling like my hands are sort of tied.
Agreed on the angling for the 1-2 shift. I've pulled vaguely back a few times and ended up with a grind (felt so bad). You definitely have to intentionally pull it to the rear left to get that crisp and clean shift.

SilverSurfer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond 4dr MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I also have this issue, I think the short 1st gear just makes it tough to get the timing right putting it into 2nd. I've began just starting in 2nd gear in most situations with no issue.

Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think I get what the OP is saying. I wouldn't describe what I feel though as notchiness and more that you need to be more intentional when going to 2nd or 4th. This to me seems related to the cable mechanism. I've only ever felt that type of need in cable-actuated manual shift levers. The metal rods in other vehicles or the direct connection in others never had that extra effort for a gear.

Notchyness to me is if the shifter fought to leave a gear or to go into gear, like the Syncro was going out. I don't feel that in my bronco. But you do have to be intentional with shifts into 1 or 4.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Typically speaking there are a number of mechanical factors which make the 1-2 shift different.

Typical modern transmissions use brass SNR's for gear exchanges from 2-5/6. The 1-2 SNR might be GYLON, carbon, steel or something else.

You also have the tooth count, angle and mating surface size changes for the 1-2 SNR.

Any of those factors will make the 1-2 shift "feel" different from the others because there's a different mating interface happening inside the magic box.

Now is an opportune time to point out the alternative:

Ford Bronco 7sp MT minor issue 1656008367381

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Typically speaking there are a number of mechanical factors which make the 1-2 shift different.

Typical modern transmissions use brass SNR's for gear exchanges from 2-5/6. The 1-2 SNR might be GYLON, carbon, steel or something else.

You also have the tooth count, angle and mating surface size changes for the 1-2 SNR.

Any of those factors will make the 1-2 shift "feel" different from the others because there's a different mating interface happening inside the magic box.

Now is an opportune time to point out the alternative:

1656008367381.png
Love that image! Multiply "crushing disappointment" x100 for a CVT transmission.

Guardian1fox2

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond, 1923 Model T Racer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a similar problem, and to add to it when I push clutch in it almost sounds like something is loose there’s a “rattle”. I posted a video in the issues sub forum, Ford reached out and made a case number for me. I’ll let you know what I find out.

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a similar problem, and to add to it when I push clutch in it almost sounds like something is loose there’s a “rattle”. I posted a video in the issues sub forum, Ford reached out and made a case number for me. I’ll let you know what I find out.
TOB for sure
Sponsored