Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have around 1600 miles on my Big Bend 2.7. I decided to change the oil ASAP after my 1000-mile breakin. We have been camping, and this is the first chance I've gotten.

This video from another thread is a good reference:

I had trouble getting a filter...you can't just walk in to O'Reilly and ask for a 2021 Bronco filter. I got the part # from Ford and O'Reilly had them, but not OEM. But Wal-Mart had Motorcraft, and had one left. But question for those who know: why does the new one not have the black caps? Is this normal?

20210722_124246.jpg

Anyway...I removed the skid plate-factory BB plastic one-using a 15mm socket to take out 6 bolts. My 15yo handled socket duties.

20210722_121808.jpg
20210722_121824.jpg

Confession: I haven't changed my own oil in years, so I've never used the plastic plugs. It was easy to take off (a quarter turn), and they weren't joking about it coming out quickly.

I also have never seen the top-of-engine filters, so I watched the video to find it. I didn't have a set of large sockets with me camping, so I had to use Vise-grips to get the housing off. No trouble.

20210722_124243.jpg

20210722_183722-jpg.jpg

20210722_183634-jpg.jpg

20210722_183934-jpg.jpg

I didn't install the new filter because of my questions about the caps, but I changed the rings. As in the video, I cut the small one with a razor knife to get it off. Getting the new one on there required some patience to be sure.

All that was left to do was reinsert the plug, rebolt the skid plate, and pour in 7 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic. Checked for leaks and all is good.

A follow-up question: does the Bronco not have an oil pressure readout?
Did you say that your skid plate is plastic??!!

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Did you say that your skid plate is plastic??!!
Yup. Standard on BB. Going to upgrade as soon as I can sneak it past, um, get the ok from the wife. 😂

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As difficult as it is to take off the small o-ring and put a new one on; makes you wonder if you're local Jiffy Lube even bothers changing it.
They use O ring hooks, Get some in your tool box.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Why do manufacturers even do this instead of just sticking with spin on filters?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, TD5 Defender
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
a crescent wrench or a socket work even better than a strap wrench. the strap wrench is great for the steel smooth spin on filters, but much more difficult to uses than a medium sized crescent wrench. when reinstalling the filter housing i recommend hand tight plus a quarter turn..
knipex pliers wrench. Goodbye vice grips. Goodbye crescent wrench.

or just carry the 4-6 common socket/wrench and torx bit sizes needed to do everything on most modern vehicles. 😬

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, TD5 Defender
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Why do manufacturers even do this instead of just sticking with spin on filters?
It‘s cheaper to produce a cartridge filter, and there is much less waste. A spin on filter uses a decent chunk of steel. With a cartridge filter, you‘re not replacing the housing often.

Cartridge filters can also be easily inspected for particulates.

they’re not really much harder to deal with than canister filters.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did we establishe the Mobil 1 met the specs or no? That threat was hard to keep up with.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

knipex pliers wrench. Goodbye vice grips. Goodbye crescent wrench.

or just carry the 4-6 common socket/wrench and torx bit sizes needed to do everything on most modern vehicles. 😬
i will go out on a limb and speculate you never were a professional mechanic. the proper tools mean being able to do a repair or maintenance properly. when you tear up fasteners and and housings by using slip joint pliers or vise grips you are not a good mechanic. slip joint pliers, vise grips, oxy acetylene, hammers, and chisels are all last resorts for performing routine maintenance.... but WHT it's your car... i always took pride in my work.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

A recent video (Canadian guy) w/ A51 4d 2.3, you could see the filter from inside the engine compartment, looked getable. Ranger oil change videos show loosening plastic fender liner. Either way doesn't look bad. My sons Taco uses cartridge, o rings et all, I like the canister type like the 2.3, fewer points of failure.

BTW the video of the 2.3 engine compartment looked much better than the 2.7. More open and you could actually see and identify engine parts, looked workable.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, TD5 Defender
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
i will go out on a limb and speculate you never were a professional mechanic. the proper tools mean being able to do a repair or maintenance properly. when you tear up fasteners and and housings by using slip joint pliers or vise grips you are not a good mechanic. slip joint pliers, vise grips, oxy acetylene, hammers, and chisels are all last resorts for performing routine maintenance.... but WHT it's your car... i always took pride in my work.
You didn’t read my post, or quoted the wrong one. I was saying vice grips and the likes are the wrong tool., and to carry the right ones.

I’ve seen professional mechanics misuse tools more often than you imply they do, so I’m not sure what that has to do with anything.

I was suggesting replacing vice grips or slip joint pliers with adjustable parallel jaw pliers. these:

brilliant tool.

69 Mach I

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Word of caution buying filters from Walmart, always check the filter to make sure it is what you are buying. I've seen it a few times where people will swap the cheapest filter in the Mobile 1 box. Cheap price to sell your soul for :sneaky:
True story.....once bought a filter from Walmart, got home and opened box, and it had a used filter in it!

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
Heard the filter on the 2.3 is an absolute bitch to get to. Part of the reason I also went with the 2.7.
On the Ranger it was reported by several publications that the wheel had to be pulled, but that was false monkey see monkey do reporting. There is a flap with 3 push pins you remove. Then there was a "funnel" built in that worked remarkably well at channeling the oil. No where near an absolute bitch, about average to get to.

I actually noticed on build and price that it shows the filter on the side just like the Ranger. I can't confirm this tho?

I thought this too until I owned a Jeep with it. I have since owned two Ford 2.7's with the cartridge filter. No mess, easy to get to and (most important to me) you can see the filter element before and after your oil change. Some spin on's are easier to change, but a lot are harder and messier. What's not to love?
Sponsored

Last edited: