Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Figured I would share on this forum as a lot of people are trading in/selling their cars right now.

My mom had a spare vehicle (Audi A6) that was just collecting dust in the garage. Given the used car market I finally convinced her to sell the car. Spent the morning taking the car to various car dealerships to get offers. Got everything from insulting to reasonable offers. 2nd to last place I went to gave me the best offer I had received up to that point, but as he gave me the offer he says to me "I really want your car, but I'd go across the street to CarMax if I were you."

So I go to CarMax (it was my next planned stop anyway), takes about 45 minutes and they give me an offer for the car. $3,000 over the next closest offer (about 7%). It was also $1,000 over my "if we get this offer I'll shake their hand on the spot" price. 30 minutes later the paperwork was done and had a check in my hand.

I usually do this anyway, but I am definitely taking my car to CarMax before I trade it in on my Bronco. They give you a written offer that is good for 7 days and there is no pressure. At the very least it gives you a floor for your trade in value during negotiations (CarMax offers are take it or leave it). Just keep in mind, in many states to get credit for your trade in against the new vehicle's purchase price for tax purposes, they have to be on the same transaction so factor that into any offer.
Sponsored

Axe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 2018 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good deal!
They offered me 30 for my FJ and Carvana offered 34......on the other hand Ive heard some say they got better offers from CarMax.........moral of the story - well, I'm not sure there is one.

OP
OP
Kos

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good deal!
They offered me 30 for my FJ and Carvana offered 34......on the other hand Ive heard some say they got better offers from CarMax.........moral of the story - well, I'm not sure there is one.
Moral of the story is information is power and a few hours time might be worth a few thousand dollars.

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I checked Carmax, Vroom and Carvana for my 2018 VW Passat. All were fairly close offers within about $1500. I went with Carvana. They were the highest. I bought out my lease for $11,800 and sold it to Carvana three weeks later for $21,950. Some leases can't be bought out from Carvana, Carmax, etc. VW had to refer the buyout to the dealer for local adjustment fees. The buyout went from $11,800 to $23,500 with the dealer market adjustment. I had to individually pay cash for the buyout before selling it.

Sponsored

ne2000

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Figured I would share on this forum as a lot of people are trading in/selling their cars right now.

My mom had a spare vehicle (Audi A6) that was just collecting dust in the garage. Given the used car market I finally convinced her to sell the car. Spent the morning taking the car to various car dealerships to get offers. Got everything from insulting to reasonable offers. 2nd to last place I went to gave me the best offer I had received up to that point, but as he gave me the offer he says to me "I really want your car, but I'd go across the street to CarMax if I were you."

So I go to CarMax (it was my next planned stop anyway), takes about 45 minutes and they give me an offer for the car. $3,000 over the next closest offer (about 7%). It was also $1,000 over my "if we get this offer I'll shake their hand on the spot" price. 30 minutes later the paperwork was done and had a check in my hand.

I usually do this anyway, but I am definitely taking my car to CarMax before I trade it in on my Bronco. They give you a written offer that is good for 7 days and there is no pressure. At the very least it gives you a floor for your trade in value during negotiations (CarMax offers are take it or leave it). Just keep in mind, in many states to get credit for your trade in against the new vehicle's purchase price for tax purposes, they have to be on the same transaction so factor that into any offer.
i just priced my potential trade in and they are 4k over next closest

kput

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Bronco 4door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Keep in mind when *trading in for a new purchase* if you sell the vehicle to CarMax, rather than trading in at a dealer, you will likely lose any sales tax credit you'd have by trading (depending on the state).
In Omaha, it's a 7% tax rate, so you'll lose 7% of the trade value of the car if you sell it. Just make sure CarMax's offer is at least 7% higher and you're fine lol.

P.s. CarMax can and will offer more on vehicles than a local dealer can 90% of the time, because they have a Nationwide market, and the ability to ship the vehicle to wherever the market is hot. If you walk into your dealer demanding what CarMax is offering, he'll probably tell you to take it there and come back with a check. 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
Kos

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Keep in mind when *trading in for a new purchase* if you sell the vehicle to CarMax, rather than trading in at a dealer, you will likely lose any sales tax credit you'd have by trading (depending on the state).
In Omaha, it's a 7% tax rate, so you'll lose 7% of the trade value of the car if you sell it. Just make sure CarMax's offer is at least 7% higher and you're fine lol.

P.s. CarMax can and will offer more on vehicles than a local dealer can 90% of the time, because they have a Nationwide market, and the ability to ship the vehicle to wherever the market is hot. If you walk into your dealer demanding what CarMax is offering, he'll probably tell you to take it there and come back with a check. 🤷‍♂️
I mentioned that at the end, and the offer sheet from CarMax had a the very bottom in large print what the tax benefits would be to use the car as a trade in on a new car from them. On this deal I want to say it was $1,600. So I would still be $1,400 better off than my next highest offer and it would be part of my "floor" calculation for negotiations on my Bronco purchase.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Carmax and a few others offered me between $8k and $10k for my 2014 Fusion. Found a private buyer for $15k and am pretty happy with the spare $5k I made on it. Paid for my PPF, tint, and ceramic coating. Just saying, check the private market as well, and consider selling privately for a few extra grand if you're willing to do the work for it.

Swordofthemorning

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Back in August last year they offered me $5k over my lease payoff for my Challenger R/T. Wouldn't have ever imagined a ROI on a lease term lmao.
Carmax must love challengers, I sold my 2017 Scat Pack Shaker about 6 months ago and I ended up getting very close to what I paid for it brand new! It had really low miles but still, the car market right now is wild!

Sponsored

westyer

Badlands
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 Limited 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Carmax also has some 2 and 4 door Broncos listed for sale on their website. Over MSRP but they are there.

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Try autonation as well, I sold a F250 to them in the middle of the “pandemic.” I had it listed on autotrader and they called. So I drove up there and the manager asked what I wanted, told him my amount and he said let’s do it. They had one used truck on the entire lot at that time.

Sassy BD

Black Diamond
First Name
DD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Grand Wagoneer, 16 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Go ahead and snicker at the name. I know I did. I sold a 16 Ford Explorer to Vroom.com.

I was skeptical about the online trade-in at first. However, Ford dealer I purchased the Bronco from only offered $8k and scrutinized the hell out of a perfectly sound, well taken care of vehicle. Random used dealer offered $5k (ahem).

Then came the online appraisals, which I am glad I took the time to explore. Carmax was $16k-ish and had hoops to jump through. Carvana was a lower $16k. But as soon as I got the Vroom appraisal I was satisfied and stopped trying to make heads or tails of the spectrum. Vroom.com, FTW, was over $17k with no hassle, no pre-inspection, no long delay on net proceeds, no post-closing issues.

I am sure it is all relative. Check them all. It doesn't cost anything but time to shop it around.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m jealous of these states that allow a tax break for trading in. In VA if you buy a brand new car and trade it the next day you pay full sales tax again but our sales tax on cars is pretty low, 4.15%

4xFord

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While my Bronco was being shipped I was checking edmunds.com daily to keep up with my trade-in value. As some may know Edmunds is now owned by CarMax so before I received my value I was always prompted with "We have something special for you!" followed by a CarMax offer. Nothing exciting there but what was interesting was the fact that the offer changed every day! Within a two week span I received offers ranging from $18,600 to $20,200. Offers are good for seven days so just redeem the best one at CarMax or ask your dealer to match (less any tax savings). Worked for me.
Sponsored

Last edited: