2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
THIS. People keep saying the Bronco isn't the type of vehicle to need a 7 pin and they are all flat out WRONG. 7 pin isn't about how big your trailer is, it's about functionality. The Bronco is EXACTLY the type of vehicle to be towing a trailer with brakes, reverse lights, and accessory power.

The FE has two major flaws - No rubber floors, and no 7 pin. Even if they couldn't include the receiver from the factory, Ford should have done us all a favor and gave us the wiring and electronics....
Thankfully, I was able to to take delivery of the wife's 4dr BL with the tow package so that's not a concern now. I also installed the Redarc tow pro brake controller in the bronco. Now Im just sorting out the hooking up the trailer, moved the spare tire up and shuffling some weight around on the trailer to minimize the sagging that's going on with the BL rear suspension.
Sponsored

aFordOwner

Raptor
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach-E, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Horseshit! So you’re telling me that I should always tow my offroad camper with my fullsize truck? Having electric brakes when towing through the rockies and on steep rocky trails on a mountain shelf comes in very handy. The trailer is just as capable as the damn Bronco is. Pic is behind the wife’s GC trailhawk that she sold for the 4dr BL.

171C8E98-C9FD-44E4-95D6-462BDC876D3D.jpeg
That is one hell of a trailer! I just wasted a ton of time checking it out. 👍

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is one hell of a trailer! I just wasted a ton of time checking it out. 👍
Thanks. Had it for 3 yrs now. I actually removed the factory tent & annex this past summer and installed the ikamper 2.0 skycamp. So essentially its now a X1-N.

aFordOwner

Raptor
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach-E, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thanks. Had it for 3 yrs now. I actually removed the factory tent & annex this past summer and installed the ikamper 2.0 skycamp. So essentially its now a X1-N.
I was amazed by the trailers. They are badass. I didn’t look at all of them so I’ve bookmarked them for later.

My wife thinks I should at least take delivery of my Bronco before I spend an equal amount on accessorizing it. Maybe your wife can speak to mine ha

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting thread as I just did something similar to get a 7-pin. Like many of you, I dropped the tow package in order to speed up delivery. Once I got my Bronco (early Nov) I started regretting it since I would like to take it on some light camping/boondocking, which I plan to this weekend. In preparation for this I had my dealership install the Ford accessory towing package (the same one discussed here that only comes with a 4-Pin). However, even the smallest of campers with weight below 3500 lbs seem to require a 7-Pin. So after a bunch of research, I installed this myself today:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N5WR1RY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ford Bronco Adding Factory 7-way to First Edition 1643257545679

Below is a pic of finished install. I removed the mount for the Ford 4-Pin to make room for this aftermarket piece, which includes a new mount for the 4-Pin to the left of it. I did have to drill two small holes in the bottom of the bumper to mount the metal frame for the plugs. The Ford version of the 4-Pin is now tucked away in the back with the rest of the wires.

Right now I only have the 4-Pin related connections wired into the 7-pin since I do not have time to wire a constant 12 volt line for trailer battery charging, reverse, or the brake controller. If I had time, and knew how to do it, I would add the brake controller to this setup tomorrow! Matter of fact, I have asked my dealership to quote me the install for the Ford brake controller to my 4 pin accessory setup. So far they are still trying to figure out how after 2 days! This is there words not mine! So there is still not a lot out there on these 7-pin setups for the non-factory tow packages.

Ford Bronco Adding Factory 7-way to First Edition 20220126_232653_resized

On another note, the pic also shows a 4" Drop Down Extender Hitch. This was to get the hitch lower for both a 2,700 lb small camper and away from spare tire (with the regular ball hitch with 2" drop I am at 18" to top of ball). It also allows me to see the ball when backing up since it extends out 9". However, after doing some reading it seems the common thought is that extenders reduce the tongue weight by 50%. I think that is a conservative estimate, still what I am planning on towing is already near the max tongue weight of 350 lbs, therefore I am planning on returning the 2" ball mount hitch for a 6" Drop Long Ball Mount hitch (like one below) and removing this extender (will keep it for a bike rack maybe). Seeing the ball to backup isn't worth it. I do find it a bit odd that these longer ball mounts also do not reduce the tongue weight by some... Do any of you think I am overthinking this?

Ford Bronco Adding Factory 7-way to First Edition 1643261782668

Anyway, if interested, I will report back how my towing event goes. I am renting a 2700 lb trailer over the weekend...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Horseshit! So you’re telling me that I should always tow my offroad camper with my fullsize truck? Having electric brakes when towing through the rockies and on steep rocky trails on a mountain shelf comes in very handy. The trailer is just as capable as the damn Bronco is. Pic is behind the wife’s GC trailhawk that she sold for the 4dr BL.

171C8E98-C9FD-44E4-95D6-462BDC876D3D.jpeg
I said that is what I do. You can do and should do whatever you want. I went into this knowing a bronco with sasquatch was never gonna pull anything significant. An fe couldnt even be ordered with tow pkg, so i knew id have to add after the fact and be limited. The small 6"x8' trailer I pull does fine with a 4 pin.

I hope you find an adequate solution for your needs. And it was Ford, not me that created the limitations of towing on these and the no tow available on the fe from factory.

Last edited:

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
By the title of this thread, I thought, you were going to venture into adding the power drivers seat to a 2 door F.E. Not to be a stickler, but you should edit it to 7 pin.👍
Yeah, I thought the same thing. Was disappoint.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Forty thousand dollars what the fuck

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco, 16 Tiger 800XCx, 96 Duc 900SS/Sp
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OP did you ever figure something out? Ford does now offer the OEM 7pin with all the switches and such.

tmallon78

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Edge, 2007 Lincoln Mark LT, 202x Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

can wait till someone that has factory trailer package can photo document what they have and where wiring goes
Sponsored