Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wranglers have ALWAYS been ridiculously overpriced in my opinion. It was especially obvious when the Bronco first hit the market and the Wrangler sport was MORE expensive than the Bronco base and not nearly as capable, and still had roll up windows and no A/C and very little modern conveniences that really aren't that fancy or complicated.
Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It sounds to me like you're trying to re-invent the Base model. I bought a 2-door Base Sasquatch, because I wanted as much 4-wheel-drive capability as possible with nothing else. I'm mostly happy with what I got, other than being annoyed with all of the Nanny Mode stuff that Ford puts on all of their cars these days.

RallyGorgo

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree, I wanted a basic, less expensive, but capable, off-roader. My first attempt at this is my 2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (“LJR”). It is supremely capable off-road in stock form and was relatively affordable when I bought it 2 years ago when it was 16 years old. It is very simple with the only screen in it being that which is on whatever smart-phone one chooses to bring along.

Ford Bronco Affordable basic transportation models for 4x4 vehicles IMG_5855

I have found that the 2023 base 2-dr manual non-Squatch Badlands that I bought in August is the modern equivalent of my LJR. Because it is the base BL it does not have many of the nannies I happily live without (lane-assist, adaptive cruise-control, park-assist, blind-spot sensors). Nor does it have the “bougie” excesses that bloat the window sticker such as leather, power-adjustable heated & cooled seats & steering wheel, 12” screen, exterior cameras, automatic transmission, carpet flooring, dual HVAC system, nor the silly sound-systems (that people seem more concerned with than proper gearing for the caricature-esque 40” tires they want to install with minimal lift). My BL is the simple one with locking diffs, low gearing, disconnecting anti-sway bar, manual transmission, vinyl flooring, 8” screen (any screen should be an option, able to be deleted), and MGV seats.

Ford Bronco Affordable basic transportation models for 4x4 vehicles IMG_6662

Anyway, the manufacturers do not nor will they ever choose to make stripped versions in great numbers, there is far too much profit in optioning-up vehicles. It is very interesting to see the prices of accessories/options when purchased after the vehicle is built. Look at the price of the roof rack for the Bronco, $350 when ordered with the vehicle vs $800+ when bought after picking up the vehicle.

Good luck in finding the affordable 4x4 to fill your wants/needs!

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a Base, it seems to have 1000x more tech in it than my 2004 F150, I'd be thrilled if I could buy a Bronco similar to my truck. I need more than AC, like power steering, fuel injection, and cruise, I'll take mine with a dim switch on the floor.
Gotta laugh at all the guys with the High/Lux packages telling others "that's not a real Bronco" :rolleyes:

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I agree, I wanted a basic, less expensive, but capable, off-roader. My first attempt at this is my 2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (“LJR”). It is supremely capable off-road in stock form and was relatively affordable when I bought it 2 years ago when it was 16 years old. It is very simple with the only screen in it being that which is on whatever smart-phone one chooses to bring along.

Ford Bronco Affordable basic transportation models for 4x4 vehicles IMG_6662
AKA, the Holy Grail of Jeeps

Reidt131

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Honestly I didn't read everything you wrote but you can mark some of the tech to the government regulations and safety tests. Seems that all the warnings replaced actually being able to see out of your vehicle vice accepting an all good from your mirror sensor that no one's in the next lane. I agree with what I read though, a low-tech vehicle would be fine for most and allot less troublesome which in turn drives up recalls and costs!
The blind spot sensor is my biggest pet peeve. How can a sensor and light cost less than a little mirror to check my blind spot?

I wish there was a stick on corner mirror that would cover the light and match the factory corner.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Really a stripped Bronco is not much simpler than a loaded one. Every command you give it, every switch you switch just asks the computer permission to execute the command. Computer may I turn on the lights? Yes, parameters met, lights on. May I engage 4 wheel dive? Sorry, wheel speed out of parameters, shift not allowed.
When it works all is well, when it doesn't I long for the LJR.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Chips are cheap - and computer controlled functions are cheaper than physical buttons, switches, and gages.

As far as (option) bloat is concerned, I remember years ago when people talked about computer program bloat. Software that was unnecessarily large because it had too many add ons. Took up too much room on the hard drive. Software like Microsoft Word.
The problem of course, was that nobody needed or wanted all those features, but that everyone needed wanted, different features.

Nothing changes. They can't make a stripped down car, because no one wants that. What you really want is a car that only has the features you want.

Almost everyone on this forum, including Base owners, are looking to add on features that didn't come with it.
I love my Bronco (whatever trim) but I wish it came with (some function) that comes on the (whatever) trim.
That covers 75% of all threads...

It gets a bit old reading people defending their trim level, putting down others , while wishing it was less expensive, but then finding ways to get those options they didn't get in their trim.

They're all Broncos. No one gives a rat's ass which trim you got or how many doors, if it makes you happy you picked the right one for you. That doesn't make the other guy/ gal wrong for making a different choice.

I love my blind spot detection, and can't stand any type of cruise control. I love heated seats in January at 630 in the morning when I go to work, and have zero need for lane keep assist or brake warnings.

But here's the thing, nobody gives a sh!t but me, I paid for crap I don't need to get some crap I wanted. That's the same with everything in life.

Things change, adapt or die. You don't have to like it, but howling at the moon isn't going to make it go away.

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My Base had an MSRP of $28.5, buying through Granger I ended up at $26K. The base Ford Bronco is a very capable vehicle and a good value at that price.

Sponsored

rdg04578

Everglades
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 jeep rubicon, F-150
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
My Base had an MSRP of $28.5, buying through Granger I ended up at $26K. The base Ford Bronco is a very capable vehicle and a good value at that price.
I think the root of the post concerns that there is no longer a "base" model that can be ordered-- of even purchased. Basically the entry model now is the "Big Bend" which starts at $39360. Looking at the ford line up--the "bronco sport ($29795-$38390) " is the entry level--though we all know that is not a real bronco--kinda like saying a "Maverick " is a smaller F-150.
Funny how the price for the sport ends about where the Big Bend starts. Why would anyone want a Bronco Sport when god made Subaru's--- way better 4 WD system, way more reliable power train and proven.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the root of the post concerns that there is no longer a "base" model that can be ordered-- of even purchased. Basically the entry model now is the "Big Bend" which starts at $39360. Looking at the ford line up--the "bronco sport ($29795-$38390) " is the entry level--though we all know that is not a real bronco--kinda like saying a "Maverick " is a smaller F-150.
Funny how the price for the sport ends about where the Big Bend starts. Why would anyone want a Bronco Sport when god made Subaru's--- way better 4 WD system, way more reliable power train and proven.
You just said a few mouthfuls in this post. :) This is from a guy who says mouthfuls in posts! :ROFLMAO:

The Subaru stuff is going to become classic. Good stuff.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

You just said a few mouthfuls in this post. :) This is from a guy who says mouthfuls in posts! :ROFLMAO:

The Subaru stuff is going to become classic. Good stuff.
Hey now, Subaru has paid good money to keep up that reliability myth. Now if they'd ever be bold enough to offer a modern 2-door BRAT or ballsy enough to bring over the WRX Sportwagon we can talk numbers!

MichaelCar001

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You know, you're onto something with those older models like the Volkswagen Beetle and the classic Ford Bronco and Jeep Wrangler. They had this charm of being tough and simple, and a lot of folks really dug that. I think there's a real niche for cars that are sturdy, practical, and won't break the bank, especially for folks who need a second car or for new drivers

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Those old cars have something that you can't get today ...
Exemption
They are grandfathered in so they don't have to meet current regulations, either safety, efficiency, or emissions.
Sponsored