First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I‘m a 2 door owner and installed the Bestop soft top last spring. The convertible top completely transformed the Bronco experience and is by far the best mod I’ve made. In warm weather I mostly run around in Safari mode (top up, windows out) and I can quickly close it up if bad weather pops up. I love it.

This fall I was going to put the hardtop back on but I decided to see how the softie worked out in winter. So far no issues. At this point, I may never put the hardtop back on.

The biggest negatives are the noise at highway speeds (more than the MIC), the windows scratch easy and require special care when cleaning, and the need to hand wash.

I‘m glad I have both, but if I could only have one it would be a soft top.
Four door MIC/Bestop owner here. I took the MIC off the week after I brought her home, and I love the flexibility of the Bestop. I do NOT like the looks of the factory soft top. It just looks lumpy and half assembled. I might not put the MIC back on in the summer, as I had expected to do, and honestly, might sell it.

If I were OP, I'd use that $2500 credit to buy an aftermarket Bestop, then sell the factory soft top.

JR
Sponsored

BUFFBRONCOS

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I can tell based on the snow pile on the roll bar and on the back window seem to corner, that someone removed the top exactly the way the Ford video said not to or didn't put it back correctly. The rear panel removal seam is on the side window, not between the back glass and the corner where there is snow piled. Follow the installation and removal directions and this won't occur, the entire corner is molded plastic covered in fabric and solid seemed on the back glass to corner transition. The corner top frame button may not have engaged in the frame either.

I picked up a window bag for the vinyl windows and it accounts for the solid corners on the back glass as well.

Until the Mod top exists for purchase, there is no easy way to have the back open on a Bronco. The four hard top owners that went full-on top removal will chime in here saying how easy it is. It isn't 4 minutes easy to be topless with a hard top.

For the OP, If this is your daily driver and requires a lot of highway time, get the hard top and do not get an aftermarket exhaust. I realized that all the aftermarket exhaust videos are with MIC top builds. A softie with exhaust is tough at 65+ MPH.

video here:

and

Thanks for the videos.. I must not know how to take out the windows?? Or have not read the instructions.. Top has never been completely off.

What’s the answer to snow blowing under the soft top over the rear doors… TOWELS above the roll bars.

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021...Nope. 2022...still no. 2023? Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m​
Four door MIC/Bestop owner here. I took the MIC off the week after I brought her home, and I love the flexibility of the Bestop. I do NOT like the looks of the factory soft top. It just looks lumpy and half assembled. I might not put the MIC back on in the summer, as I had expected to do, and honestly, might sell it.

If I were OP, I'd use that $2500 credit to buy an aftermarket Bestop, then sell the factory soft top.

JR
While I definitely appreciate all the advice on here this suggestion really hit the sweet spot!

yeah I still want the MIC (and I’ll hopefully find out today about my dealers allocations) but I didn’t even think about the bestop. Looks like for a door only $1599 and looks a lot better than the stock.

So if I have to get a softtop this’ll be my first aftermarket order.

JFelty

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I live in MN and have had my Wildtrak for about a winter and half so far. I to was forced to change my dual top order to a softtop with the plan to buy a hardtop (if Ford ever has enough to sells them) and I don't know if I need one after having the softtop this long. Inside Temps are fine my issue was wind noise having owned convertibles in the past I was ready for it. Dirty Dog makes a headliner that creates an air gap between the top and the cabin that helps with heat retention and most of all cuts the wind noise in half (really is a game changer for me). Also if I am out and it rains I can put the top up if I had a harp top and it was off all I could do is drive fast or take a shower. :)

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m​

While I definitely appreciate all the advice on here this suggestion really hit the sweet spot!

yeah I still want the MIC (and I’ll hopefully find out today about my dealers allocations) but I didn’t even think about the bestop. Looks like for a door only $1599 and looks a lot better than the stock.

So if I have to get a softtop this’ll be my first aftermarket order.
This is, honestly, the opposite reaction I expected with my post! Most people are witch hunting and just want to bitch about Ford's inability to meet demand, vs. actually making the best of a shitty situation.

I live in a subtropical climate (coastal South Carolina) and honestly, I don't see a lot of need for the hard top, but I absolutely wouldn't settle for the factory top. That's just me, though, and there's also a part of me that says I shouldn't have to shell out $1600 and a day's worth of work to fix Ford's problems.

JR

Sponsored

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I wouldnt buy a hardtop. All the reasons stated and so many problems with MIC to date. Cracking,fitment,defects,leaking and then many being denied warranty claim for all the above.No thanks.Of course its not a problem until its a problem. Of all the problems posted on this forum I think I come across defects in hard top the most. Whether its actually a widespread problem I have no idea. Certainly posted here a lot.

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the videos.. I must not know how to take out the windows?? Or have not read the instructions.. Top has never been completely off.

What’s the answer to snow blowing under the soft top over the rear doors… TOWELS above the roll bars.
I'm not saying there are no concessions to a design that includes this many positions and options. The Velcro must be seated down the entire run. Make sure all the back and side buckles are clipped. Definitely make sure the back window corner top rubber is seated in the arch support. These were whipped out pretty quickly at the factory. The first thing I did was take it all the way down and put it all the way back to make sure it all worked and was done per the video.
Ford Bronco Alright Ford you broke me - question for soft top owners 1674232892675

1674232877604.png

Last edited:

wade65

Badlands
First Name
Wade Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape, 1965 Mercury Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Zero issues in torrential rain. A little bit loud on the highway but if you wanted quiet you wouldn’t buy a bronco.

Mr_Scoutmaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands / '22 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am in Texas, so my soft top advice really isn't great because climate plays a definite factor. However....I love it, no complaints. I hand wash with a power washer and TRY to get water to go through the seams and it never does.

My only real concern on a daily basis is theft or cutting, so I got the center console safe and simply leave the car unlocked most places. People with MIC tops around here NEVER take them off because its not easy unless you have a solid garage set up with an overhead rack or cart or something. For me, two minutes tops for off, four for on, anywhere I am. I figure if I ever REALLY want a hard top, I can get one aftermarket that's better built and better looking.

Lil_Mule

Badlands
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Bus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love my soft top. I will agree, it lets water in when raining. But, its a convertible.

Also....My soft top isn't going to de-laminate.....ever.

-Lil Mule

Sponsored
OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021...Nope. 2022...still no. 2023? Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is, honestly, the opposite reaction I expected with my post! Most people are witch hunting and just want to bitch about Ford's inability to meet demand, vs. actually making the best of a shitty situation.

I live in a subtropical climate (coastal South Carolina) and honestly, I don't see a lot of need for the hard top, but I absolutely wouldn't settle for the factory top. That's just me, though, and there's also a part of me that says I shouldn't have to shell out $1600 and a day's worth of work to fix Ford's problems.

JR
Ha no need to bitch or gripe. I'm a pilot and we complain about everything...so I get my fill of that at work.

So it appears my situation has changed slightly - but you've given me a really good idea. My dealer (smaller dealer) just called and they got their allocation numbers in and I'm good to go with a hard top for this year.

I understand that there are real issues with the hard top (which is why I'm glad I'll have it under warranty). My whole plan with the Bronco was always to turn it into an offroad overlander (going to get the TrailRax with Pak Rax Bronco TrailRax Modular Roof Rack (TRMR Rack) 4-Door ). After talking to my dealer I'm not putting LUX back on and sticking with high and not putting SAS back on (already have a Badlands ordered - just going to do a level kit and upgrade the wheels).

However - I didn't realize how much people loved their soft tops. So for the summers in the mountains I'm now seriously considering ordering the Bestop so I have a softie as well. Hardtop with TrailRax for extended camping trips and Bestop for summer excursions.

So seriously - thank you for the advice idea! And to everyone else - thank you for all the great information and giving me a lot to think about. Before this post I *never* would have considered a soft top but now I'm all in on getting one aftermarket.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It. Is. So. Much. Fun!!!
I never knew you could have this much fun with a vehicle. And I've never had one that I had this much fun with. The only downside is indeed running with the side windows and back window out on the interstate in the rain. It is extraordinarily noisy and wearying. That's the only downside.

I will add this: installing the side and rear windows is Way Beyond a b****. So I tend to only do it once in the spring to pull them out and once in the fall to put them back.
I can do this in under a minute for all three? Maybe more practice? I know it’s more difficult when it’s cold. There is definitely a bit of a trick on the side windows. Place one of your hands on the back window and push the corner your working on towards the front of the vehicle. Then starting at the bottom use the palm of your other hand to seat the side window in the matching channel on the back window.

Edit: I made a video about it last year.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I can do this in under a minute for all three? Maybe more practice? I know it’s more difficult when it’s cold. There is definitely a bit of a trick on the side windows. Place one of your hands on the back window and push the corner your working on towards the front of the vehicle. Then starting at the bottom use the palm of your other hand to seat the side window in the matching channel on the back window.

Edit: I made a video about it last year.

Yeah, I get that. But.... You have to get it even close to start. Even 1/16th in. Would help. I'm hoping after being in for a season, they might fit better next try.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The reality is the only real option one can’t easily add through after market is the LUX. After market hard tops are beginning to emerge. The Sasquatch is also aftermarket. Making lemonade from lemons, you get to select the wheels and tires, suspension and eventually any hard top you desire. So instead of a factory WT, you get a BL and create your own WT…..with the disconnect bar. BTW, I’d bet most of us MIC tops owners will be seeking after market hard tops once these factory ones break down. Soft tops get replaced and the MIC tops will eventually require replacement.

BroncoOB

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sequoia, Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I live in north central Wisconsin and I never even considered a hard top. Why would I want to downgrade to that hassle? I am very happy with my soft top. No issues at all and I am in my second winter with it.
I agree with above. Despite the road noise, I am very happy with the soft top and the easy of opening it up. AC cools fast and heater the same in Texas weather. I am looking at dirty dog product since it is modular and I can remove it anytime quickly but it is pricey.
Sponsored