Sponsored

Anybody else getting over the initial hype?

Velociraptor

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus RX450h, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I totally get the original post. I also have a tendency (which drives my wife crazy) to get really excited over new vehicles. Mostly motorcycles but cars too. Since I am recently retired I am trying to control that more:) I think a lot about the pros and cons of my 6 month old Subaru Crosstrek vs the Bronco. Almost apples and oranges, but it helps to remove the Bronco hype and focus more on the real sacrifices and benefits. Really the only reasons I am interested in the Bronco are the off road capability compared to the Subaru, and the new design. The fact that the Bronco is new really helps. I could never get excited about a Jeep and the new Defender is too pricey among other things. I like the size and fuel economy of the Crosstrek as well as the all wheel drive. Because of size, I want a 2dr Bronco. So right there to keep the length I lose 2 doors compared to the Crosstrek. Also the Crosstrek gets 30mpg. With the Bronco I will gain power but lose fuel efficiency, will gain a huge amount of off road capability, and will gain versatility but lose some convenience compared to the Suby. All about tradeoffs. I also try to imagine 3 years down the road with the Bronco. Assuming it is reliable, I feel like I would be happy with the Bronco compared to the Crosstrek. Still waiting for final pricing though as the Crosstrek is paid for so have to decided if the extra cost of the Bronco is worth it for me.
Sponsored

GMan

Outer Banks
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cayenne Porsche
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If Ford has indeed sold out the first two years of production at this point, it's not unreasonable to think that one could drive a Bronco for a year or so and then sell it to someone who isn't willing to wait 6+ months to a year for delivery, possibly recouping most, if not all, of your initial investment.

Once that initial scarcity period ends however, it'll just be any other mass produced vehicle-- a depreciating investment.
I think it will be the same as the new corvette. The LT2 is going for over 100K at dealers and private party sellers. That is about a 20 - 30%. I do believe the Vette will drop and then in 20 years start going up for the earlier editions, unless it's labeled a money pit. Bronco, with all the tech may follow the same route, especially if they keep pumping out better and more fuel efficient models like Hybrids, electric... etc.. Just never know. Unfortunately I am going to buy it anyway. My reserve is for the Outerbanks with auto.

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If Ford has indeed sold out the first two years of production at this point, it's not unreasonable to think that one could drive a Bronco for a year or so and then sell it to someone who isn't willing to wait 6+ months to a year for delivery, possibly recouping most, if not all, of your initial investment.

Once that initial scarcity period ends however, it'll just be any other mass produced vehicle-- a depreciating investment.
The initial enthusiasm and reservations are unlikely to translate to actual orders and final delivery for various reasons not the least being the economic impact from COVID-19.

I suspect Ford will have excess build capacity and dealers may end up with lot units well before 12 months from the time actual deliveries begin. But we shall see:)

psychwarfare

First Edition
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3, MGB
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm still excited and like (and can afford) the FE. But, I do have my concerns about buying a $60k Ford product. I come from buying lightly used German cars (and then killing their value with all of the mileage I put on them) for the most part, so the initial depreciation hit will take a bit of getting used to. I also don't view any modern car as a "keeper" since they're all basically appliances and far too complex to expect to operate properly once they reach classic status...especially the touchscreens etc. An early 90s 911 is about as recent a "keeper" as I will go.

Thankfully, I expect my commute to significantly decrease right around when the Bronco makes it out, and I will have other cars to drive in nice weather etc. So, I'm hoping it holds its value better than I've been accustomed to.

However, there are things I don't particularly care for...the rear floor AC vents...the limited towing capacity...the blue interior...etc. I plan to continue monitoring the situation, but if things start getting delayed significantly, I will probably go in a different direction entirely as I have no brand loyalty to Ford at the current time, and 60k buys a lot on the used/CPO SUV market.

I also think later in 2021, if the Bronco gets released on time, that supply will be readily available. I would suspect many of the reservations will be canceled as time passes and with solid production capacity...I don't think people that want a Bronco will have to wait too long to get one if they're willing to get what's on a lot somewhere. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sponsored

CWGrisw0ld

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A little. The idea that I might not realistically be able to get a velocity blue Bronco until 2022 puts a damper on some of the excitement.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

jimmy234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm in the position where my JL will be out of warranty this March, so as that creeps closer and closer I will be evaluating and reevaluating all my options (including just keeping the JL, of course - it's been very good so far). I'm not someone who typically gets out of a vehicle after only three years, usually moreso around five years, but if the Bronco has a great first year we'll see what happens. So I'm still keeping up on all the Bronco news and I'm still pretty excited to see where it all goes.

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am not getting over my hype, but I am starting to think my expectations are getting too high and I'm not sure anything could live up to that... That concerns me, I'd rather have lower expectations and be pleasantly surprised. Trying to walk that line here so I am not let down or blown away. I've been let down by vehicles I have dreamed about in the past, I don't want that to happen here.

Sponsored

CascadianCorvid

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm totally stoked. I just went to a Ford dealer and looked at paint. I know all of the colors aren't available, but they had some new Raptors that looked good. Rapid Red got me turning my head. I've been between Shadow Black and Carbonized Gray, but there is a new challenger.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not even a little over the hype. I went in expecting it to come in around high-end Wrangler prices, 50k or so, and it has. Completely comfortable with that one. Every new video or 'sneak' pic that comes out, makes me want it more.

bbq4133

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
lol. Ok, the tube TV thing was too far, just extending the point.

My real comparison was commercial aircraft being both complex and reliable. Not the same, but it's doable. They put on tons of cycles with remarkable reliability and basically are designed to never fail - and are loaded with electronics (motors, sensors, controls, computers). Have been for a long time.

But I retract my TV reference. ...maybe and old game boy? :sneaky:
I think commercial aircraft misses the mark because of the intended purposes of both. Commercial aircraft are intended and built for X amount of hours (airframe or otherwise) with specific usages. They are built so well (ignoring some recent history, of course) that there's a predictable consistency to their durability. That's arguably never been the case for cars and certainly not for modern vehicles, where there is such a wide variance in reliability and durability across even the same models from the same maker built in the same year. Just look at modern Toyota and see how different they are as cars got more and more complicated in the past 2 decades.

I just think it would be a fool's errand to buy something like this--with all of its computers, cameras, sensors, displays, radar, etc.--with the expectation that it will absolutely last 20 years when we literally have no prior evidence of anything like this lasting that long, at least within similar production and usage cases. Sitting here today, we simply have no idea what computer/tech systems are "mission critical" and, perhaps more importantly, how long Ford (or anyone else) will support those systems.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think commercial aircraft misses the mark because of the intended purposes of both. Commercial aircraft are intended and built for X amount of hours (airframe or otherwise) with specific usages. They are built so well (ignoring some recent history, of course) that there's a predictable consistency to their durability. That's arguably never been the case for cars and certainly not for modern vehicles, where there is such a wide variance in reliability and durability across even the same models from the same maker built in the same year. Just look at modern Toyota and see how different they are as cars got more and more complicated in the past 2 decades.

I just think it would be a fool's errand to buy something like this--with all of its computers, cameras, sensors, displays, radar, etc.--with the expectation that it will absolutely last 20 years when we literally have no prior evidence of anything like this lasting that long, at least within similar production and usage cases. Sitting here today, we simply have no idea what computer/tech systems are "mission critical" and, perhaps more importantly, how long Ford (or anyone else) will support those systems.
Let's also not forget either that commercial airplanes are designed to be flown by professional pilots.... Not Terry and Karen who slept through their driving training 4 decades ago.
Sponsored