Sponsored

Anybody else getting over the initial hype?

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hype? For what?

*checks top of page*

Oh. This is a Bronco forum.

Shit. I was just here for the memes.
Sponsored

bbq4133

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure I'm all the way there... I get what you're saying, but those aircraft we *used* to fly on are about the most complete bits of machinery we encounter regularly. They statistically are incredibly reliable (greater than 90% dispatch reliability across all flights around the world), put on a ton of miles and are pretty old (20 years on average). Loaded with complex systems both mechanical and electronic - the avionics alone fly the plane and even land the plane (reasonably often if it's an Airbus), all electronically. Granted, they are pretty well maintained and cost a lot more than a Bronco - but I don't think electronics are automatically a negative. Hell... how many of us still have an old tube tv somewhere just chugging along? Not state of the art, but still working.
I gotta be frank, I think there is a better chance of me being the mayor of Mons Olympus, Mars than the loose comparison you just posited being remotely applicable to a brand new, first MY mass production vehicle.

Vacuum tubes are robust. There’s a reason why many electronics folks swear by them. I have guitar effects powered by them—they sound great and they’re tanks.

I trust analogue. I would never bank on long term digital reliability given the considerable amount of unknown. Miles can be simulated, time has always been much harder. You think that GOAT system has a great chance of lasting 20 years without failure? If it has failure, what’s the maintenance cost? Is it a full replacement? What’s that associated replacement cost? Will there be third party, OEM-like components available for it and similar components? For how long?

Auto manufacturers have traded fungibility and repairability for disposability. It’s why they don’t want you working on your cars and it’s why most dealer service centers are becoming nothing more than parts depots.

Edit: swapped a more appropriate word

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Was never on board with the hype, still aren't. I like the new Bronco, price isn't an issue, but there's a lot we still don't know. I personally don't get how anyone can "reserve" a vehicle they don't know everything about, there's no need to "reserve" anything, that's just Ford marketing BS. So far I like it, but waiting for all the facts and the independent reviews.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Been about a month now and am considerably less enthusiastic. Its not that the truck isn't absolutely perfect for what it should have been, it really is. But I just am not sure that buying a 40k car in this type of uncertain economic times is the most rational thing to do. Kinda over it for now, but if the feeling passes and things become better maybe my mood will change.
Excited Bud ...I don't know what state you live in but our economy has been pretty robust and getting better quickly in SW Missouri. Can't even keep a house on the market for but a couple of days.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I make my family watch all the latest bronco Moab videos, on our apply TV. So my fever has turned into more of an addiction.

But I’m an off-road nut, and daddy needs a disconnecting sway-bar!

Sponsored

secretg

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Nissan Leaf :)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm actually glad there's a prolonged wait. I'm a very practical/frugal person and typically very conscious of my financial decisions. I'd normally think buying a $40K vehicle is for rich or dumb people. But then I saw the Bronco. And put in a reservation. So the wait gives me time to save cash, AND it gives me, the extreme over-analyzer, plenty of time to think and re-think. So if after 12 months I'm STILL lusting after it, despite it being totally unnecessary, less practical, and more expensive than any car I've ever bought, then dammit I'm gonna YOLO and buy that MF.
Well said I am thinking the exact same way you are about this purchase. :)

SlamForce

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus ST, 2007 BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I’m still hyped. I made my reservation, then sold one of my cars within 2 weeks. The proceeds from that sale are now invested and I will continue to contribute monthly to that account until it comes time to order and we have all the Bronco information we need. If I’m not feeling the Bronco at that point, I’ll take that nice down payment and get something else.

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The Bronco is not a rational or logical or financially sound investment.
It’s a want, not a need.
It’s not an investment.
It’s a splurge, an indulgence.
As soon as you start trying to make sense of it, the magic disappears.
No, no, no! The Ford commercial said, "You need a Bronco". I believe that pretty much seals the deal on that one.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Not really, think Ford has it all planned pretty well ... Reveal, then configurator, then ordering all within 5 months time. This gives plenty of ebb and flow for information, decisions, excitement and discussion for forums and the press to get the public excited. The truly big wait will be delivery and if the factory can keep up in the current global situation but once the first one's hit the street/trails it'll all start back up again!

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Aw, man.. now your putting a guilt trip on me. I'm in the same renters boat. Home prices in the San Francisco Bay Area are crazy high!
Dude get out of that place. Just like you need a Bronco, you really need to get out of CA. The cost of living just isn't worth it. To be honest, no city is worth it. Better to live in suburbia or the country and commute to work for the higher pay. Sure, you'll lose a little in commute costs, but it's totally worth it. I promise you'll never look back. No way I'm ever paying $1500+ for a one-bedroom studio apartment. Get out of there! Your sanity will thank you for it brother.

Sponsored

Moze

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Tesla Model S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I gotta be frank, I think there is a better chance of me being the mayor of Mons Olympus, Mars than the loose comparison you just posited being remotely applicable to a brand new, first MY mass production vehicle.

Vacuum tubes are robust. There’s a reason why many electronics folks swear by them. I have guitar effects powered by them—they sound great and they’re tanks.

I trust analogue. I would never bank on long term digital reliability given the considerable amount of unknown. Miles can be simulated, time has always been much harder. You think that GOAT system has a great chance of lasting 20 years without failure? If it has failure, what’s the maintenance cost? Is it a full replacement? What’s that associated replacement cost? Will there be third party, OEM-like components available for it and similar components? For how long?

Auto manufacturers have traded fungibility and repairability for disposability. It’s why they don’t want you working on your cars and it’s why most dealer service centers are becoming nothing more than parts depots.

Edit: swapped a more appropriate word
lol. Ok, the tube TV thing was too far, just extending the point.

My real comparison was commercial aircraft being both complex and reliable. Not the same, but it's doable. They put on tons of cycles with remarkable reliability and basically are designed to never fail - and are loaded with electronics (motors, sensors, controls, computers). Have been for a long time.

But I retract my TV reference. ...maybe and old game boy? :sneaky:

GMan

Outer Banks
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cayenne Porsche
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Been about a month now and am considerably less enthusiastic. Its not that the truck isn't absolutely perfect for what it should have been, it really is. But I just am not sure that buying a 40k car in this type of uncertain economic times is the most rational thing to do. Kinda over it for now, but if the feeling passes and things become better maybe my mood will change.
You must have been reading my mind, especially with the hype regarding the 1st Edition. Reminds of the hype for the comic book "The Death of Superman." Still only worth about $13 in Mint Condition.,, 30 years later.

psyclism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Bronco is not a rational or logical or financially sound investment.
It’s a want, not a need.
It’s not an investment.
It’s a splurge, an indulgence.
As soon as you start trying to make sense of it, the magic disappears.
If Ford has indeed sold out the first two years of production at this point, it's not unreasonable to think that one could drive a Bronco for a year or so and then sell it to someone who isn't willing to wait 6+ months to a year for delivery, possibly recouping most, if not all, of your initial investment.

Once that initial scarcity period ends however, it'll just be any other mass produced vehicle-- a depreciating investment.

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hell no! My enthusiasm isn’t slowing at all. I’m getting more excited everyday. Go full send!
Sponsored