Sponsored

Anyone else considering trading for the next-gen 4Runner?

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Since we're talking about random vehicles and trades, I'm considering trading my gen6 Camaro 1Le for a Mustang Dark Horse 🤷‍♂️>
We found the one guy who likes the fact that the new Mustang looks like a Camaro. A Camaro owner. ;-)
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Serious question.... How capable is the bronco offroad in the middle of nowhere? I'm honestly not trolling.

Super capable with tricky's tie rod fix kit, but how many spares should I bring? Is one enough or would two do the job? (Props to Tricky for getting a kit together)

Answer... Ford should have included the hoss steering rack in the SAS package which I personally would have paid the extra $$ for.

Who's going to get a cv kit to market? Alternator swap kit? How about a fuel pump kit? I think I'm running out of room in the 2door with all these spare parts...

I'm on the OBX right now and drove through some high water on the pavement. I didnt find a drop of water in the 4runner's air box (checked as soon as I got back to the house), and my alternator is still charging away. Weird because it's stock... Granted it was only maybe 1ft of water but the splash effect is enough to disable a bronco from what I'm reading on here. Two mini suvs didn't fair that crossing too well, one jeep grand Cherokee and a Chevy version of a Buick encore. At least they were on the main road and easy to snag with roll-off!

On a positive note so I don't upset the red blooded Americans (#metoo)... I have always said to my ford friends that they have the most comfortable seats in f150's as well as the bronco. The vinyl seats and floors make cleaning a breeze. The overall looks of this rig is spot on I love the old school look personally. It also gets the best gas milage out of my fleet (my other being a stock 97 lx450). If you think a 4L toyota engine is slow, try out a 1fz-fe in a land cruiser lol!

The only hiccup we have had with the bronco in 5k miles has been a glitch in the 8" screen where it went black and rebooted itself. The wife called me when it happened and she thought it was ready to crap the bed lol. Motor sounds like a old Cummins but I guess that's normal.
It's very capable, I was caught in some bad flash flooding, and it was pretty unreal how the Bronco powered through the water... which I am sure swamped the alternator, but it wasn't dirty muddy water. So instead of fouling the alternator, it just washed through it. It seems like muddy water will kill the alternator quick, otherwise, it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Having spares is great, but all the Broncos should have came with the HOSS 3.0 steering rack. The couple of hundred bucks in additional price on top of the nearly 50k I paid for it would have been a no brainer decision.

Aviboy97

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No removable doors
No removable roof
Made in Japan
No thanks
SG367Ix.jpg
Since when is JDM a bad thing? You know what you get with a JDM Toyota and no other manufacturer is even close, when talking about reliability.

I bought my Bronco fully expecting it would break at some point.

If Toyota made a real Wrangler/Bronco competitor, I’d take a serious look.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Bronco design is very special and IMO we have a ticket to something timeless and special. The new 4Runner is just another generation of something lacking that heritage.

Although if you don’t care about any of that stuff I could see the appeal of the packaging. Off road capabilities. Fixed roof / family friendly. Much bigger cargo. I could probably sell both my bronco and family suv for an all in one 4 runner with freedom to get a very cool compromised weekender. That’s the only appeal at least for me. Or 1 vehicle household that want more functionality plus off roading.

ROCKO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got a Bronco because I was in the market for a new vehicle and wanted something fun. However, it's a lot of money to spend on "fun", and this is my only vehicle. I'm considering something more well-rounded and practical, and the 4Runner was an alternative I considered before pulling the trigger on the Bronco.

The daily irritations of this vehicle are hard for me to ignore and take away from the excitement I once had with it. The hard top sucks. Yeah, it's great that you can take it off, but there are multiple air leaks that make it awfully noisy at highway speed. I have tried all the tricks mentioned on this forum and while there has been an improvement, it's still a very noticeable distraction. There are a couple gaps on the roof panel weather seals above the doors that the Ford dealership insists is "by design" but that's bullshit. It also pops sometimes going over bumps, and I have no convenient place to put it if I want to take it off. I'm concerned about its longevity as well given the snakeskin problem, the fact that one of my rear windows was recently leaking, and that the edges aren't sealed and expose the fiberglass layers.

The window indexing is so annoying. It has a noticeable lag no matter what. The up, down, up down reset instructions do not make a difference. I have to open the door a particular way for it to not catch on the weather seal. If it's freezing outside, I have to run a credit card along the bottom of the glass so the window can index. Otherwise I can't close the door. Also, if I have the door open when starting the engine, the window often un-indexes on its own and I have to wait for it to make up its mind before I can close the door.

Those are my two biggest problems with the Bronco.

I still like it overall but these two problems are a constant reminder that it doesn't have to be this way. It also makes me re-assess what I'm actually going to do with it. I think of really cool off-road places to go but I don't think I'll ever do it, and they don't need 35" tires to get there. I'm not going to push this vehicle to its limit ever. So what am I paying for? The cool factor and that's about it. When looking at accessories I don't really commit to anything built specifically for the Bronco because I want that money spent to be useful on any vehicle in the future. I don't want that value lost when I sell it because generally speaking, accessories do not add resell value to a vehicle.

I'm sure some of you roll your eyes at this. I know that suggesting a non-Bronco in a Bronco forum invites jokes and derision. But I'm spending a lot of money on a vehicle and I don't want to feel like I'm wasting it.
Didn’t really read half your answers but both models have affordable trims. Not really seeming your point on the cost. Sounds like your idea of fun is way off from the Bronco community. Buy the 4Runner lol.

Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In my working life (now retired) in many countries where driving anywhere is what we might consider off-road. Toyota is king...HiLux, which is slightly different here. The world sales numbers must be order of magnitude above anything else (My observation only….no stats).

I own a Badlands, SAS, Lux, 2.7L, and a CJ3A (Willys) and would have never considered a Toyota. However worldwide, there are probably 10,000 Toyota 4WD versions sold for every Bronco sold. Probably slightly less numbers for Jeeps.

My impression: they are light, stiff, heavy duty, and fuel efficient. I cannot speak for what Toyota sells here in the US though.

nhmountainman

Badlands
First Name
Kman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Chevy 2500 Duramax 2018 BMW 340 2016 Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco design is very special and IMO we have a ticket to something timeless and special. The new 4Runner is just another generation of something lacking that heritage.

Although if you don’t care about any of that stuff I could see the appeal of the packaging. Off road capabilities. Fixed roof / family friendly. Much bigger cargo. I could probably sell both my bronco and family suv for an all in one 4 runner with freedom to get a very cool compromised weekender. That’s the only appeal at least for me. Or 1 vehicle household that want more functionality plus off roading.
Timeless looking, sure. Timeless in 5 years? Are these electronics going to work past your warranty? I hope so, but if I was betting, I’d say nope. I don’t know if you can call OJ Bronco’s part of the heritage…who‘s buying a half ton 2 door? 4runner has more authentic evolution and heritage without a 15+ Year gap.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Look, as much as it may be difficult to accept, only one of these two brands is Taliban accepted and approved.

Toyota makes vehicles that set the standard for tactical vehicles across the globe. Until Ford gets its act together and gives us a proper turret option for the Bronco, the Toyota will continue to be the choice of "freedom fighters" world wide.

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

When Toyota comes to their senses and remakes the FJ40 then I am in like flynn. 4 runner doesn't do it for me though, They are no doubt incredibley capablle vehicles that will last forever though (current gen anyway). Give me removable top and doors to explore the world in. I wish though that Ford could make an automobile with the reliability and quality fit and finish of a Toyota. No reason they couldn't do that either....except the ingrained mindset of going as cheap as possible to maximize prophets gets in the way.

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My cousin has 2 pre-2000 4Runnerss and they both have 200K+ miles on them and run great. But if I wanted a 4Runner, I would have bought one since they were readily available back in 2020.

Very happy with my Bronco, would not give it up for anything else on the road that is a 4x4 with a manual transmission.

Sponsored

thewedge

Wildtrak
First Name
Joby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco WIldtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I come from 4Runners to having just gotten the Bronco literally yesterday. Still have my 04 4runner with 135k miles which will stay and enjoy it's place in whatever I endeavor. By the time the next gen 4rtunner comes out Toyota will have sorted out the learning curve on the iForceMax engine to the usual Toyota reliability standards. I do expect that vehicle to compete in similar swimlane to the Bronco as bridging real offroad with useable daily...unlike the Wrangler (IMHO). As a child of the 70's and 80's, the Bronco holds all the lore of ANY famous vehicle to me....and I own a 66' Mustang and a 72' Vette. The 4runner doesn't have that nostalgia to me...it just competes as the best damn vehicle to buy for function and reliability when looking to spend hard earned money. For a buyer that doesn't share my heritage with Bronco (and other classics) I bet it will be a tough choice. I did my research though and the Bronco and the next generation Ford vehicles are not the same production standard vehicles of old...the materials, assembly, and testing is normalized to a different standard. I've got a little experience with large scale manufacturing to be able to make this assessment... LOL! Bronco vs 6th Gen 4Runner....great decision to have in life...consider myself overly blessed to have this sort of 1st world dilemna!

Wedge

Ford Bronco Anyone else considering trading for the next-gen 4Runner? 4runner2

Ford Bronco Anyone else considering trading for the next-gen 4Runner? 4runner1

Spartan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've had my Bronco now for 8 months. After assessing what I want out of a vehicle and what I actually use it for, the 4Runner looks like an appealing alternative should I decide to sell the Bronco in the future. Is anyone else considering trading their Bronco for the next-gen 4Runner, whenever it comes out?
I think Ford should have made 2 versions of the Bronco. Removable everything and then fixed doors and roof. I'd bet you 60% at least never remove the top or doors and would rather just have a sun/moon roof.

And no the Sport is not that.

Joseph DNR

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Since when is JDM a bad thing? You know what you get with a JDM Toyota and no other manufacturer is even close, when talking about reliability.

I bought my Bronco fully expecting it would break at some point.

If Toyota made a real Wrangler/Bronco competitor, I’d take a serious look.
Since I was able to buy car, I only bought Japanese made cars because I was told of reliability, longevity and others. After I picked my Bronco-my first car made in USA. I felt like I had been cheated. Now I know what is fun to drive.

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For me, made in Japan would be a huge plus. Superior manufacturing processes = higher quality = greater longevity.
I had an Acura TSX, it changed my mind about such things. A Highlander built in the US was of much better “Quality” just my personal experience.
Sponsored