Sponsored

Are we to assume that dealers primarily want to screw you?

jaboticaba

Outer Banks
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 Chevy Truck
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Despite all our efforts to protect ourselves, getting pre-approved by Ford and our local credit union, it didn't matter, The financing manager went ahead and pushed another lender. He also talked to us about getting an extended warranty while mentioning over and over again that "Ford" will take of any issues. Later we found out that the extended warranty contract was with a company that has a really bad reputation. So, why does Ford need dealers if they will not sell Ford's financial services and extended warranty? We did end up getting a loan with our credit union and we canceled the crappy overpriced extended warranty. But it took a lot of work, frustration, and the horrible financing manager told my wife that he would sue me for slander. For me that is laughable and at the same time pathetic that Ford has a clown-like that involved with their products and services.
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While one should abide be the old adage of buyer beware, not all dealerships are out to screw you and there are a few good ones out there

However, one should always enter with their research complete on interest rates and warranties. The finance guys push the products with the most profit margin which are usually not Ford's and not in your best interest.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
1. Federal law requires a dealership.
2. Just say no. I’ve had other lenders pushed on me at a dealership and all I had to say was, “no.”
3. If you’re not comfortable with an extended warranty from the start, say “no.”
4. No one is forcing you to buy anything.
5. I loathe my dealer for my Bronco and will never use them for anything again but I got my Bronco how I ordered it w/o the multiple idiotic markups they kept telling me I was going to have to pay.

OP
OP
jaboticaba

jaboticaba

Outer Banks
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 Chevy Truck
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

1. Federal law requires a dealership.
2. Just say no. I’ve had other lenders pushed on me at a dealership and all I had to say was, “no.”
3. If you’re not comfortable with an extended warranty from the start, say “no.”
4. No one is forcing you to buy anything.
5. I loathe my dealer for my Bronco and will never use them for anything again but I got my Bronco how I ordered it w/o the multiple idiotic markups they kept telling me I was going to have to pay.
We got everything we want it, but we had to battle. I will never sit with a financing manager again,
I get the number that needs to be paid for the vehicle without any added crap, then go get a check from my credit union and pay for it. I hope in the near future we can buy direct from Ford.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dealers don't want to screw you, they want to make money.
If they think screwing you will make them more money, they will try to screw you.
Make them understand they work for you, not the other way around.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jaboticaba

jaboticaba

Outer Banks
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 Chevy Truck
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Dealers don't want to screw you, they want to make money.
If they think screwing you will make them more money, they will try to screw you.
Make them understand they work for you, not the other way around.
So make money means that they can tell about an extended warranty naming Ford as the company that will take of any issues, but selling a substandard product that has nothing to do with Ford? Is that a deceptive practice.
Same goes for the financing, we told him that we were pre approved by Ford and our credit union and he didn’t care at all. So the whole process is predicated that they are there to make and as a consumer we are a prey. That is abhorrent.

filup01

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes.
All dealers are out to screw you. Many people here (a lot of salesmen too) will say “my dealer is great” or “they aren’t all bad”. For those people, you are either a liar or have been severely misled.
While it is law that dealers exist for the sale of cars/trucks (electric cars are different, see Tesla), it is the dealer (independent from Ford and a private business of their own) whose job it is to take as much money from you as possible. Your job is to keep as much as you can while still purchasing what you want. Knowing this, the dealers will do every shady thing they can think of to take as much as they can especially in this market. We all know that if you turn down your Bronco, they will sell it for more $$ to the next guy.
My advice to anyone is to take emotion out of it. It’s business for them and it should be for you as well. Your salesman might be nice to your face but make no mistake, everyone that works at a dealership is there to screw you.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So make money means that they can tell about an extended warranty naming Ford as the company that will take of any issues, but selling a substandard product that has nothing to do with Ford? Is that a deceptive practice.
Same goes for the financing, we told him that we were pre approved by Ford and our credit union and he didn’t care at all. So the whole process is predicated that they are there to make and as a consumer we are a prey. That is abhorrent.
Like I said, show them that they work for you, leave that dealer and go somewhere else.

Jawbox

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I love the Bronco that I have on order, but I'm absolutely ready to walk away should if they want to ignore our agreed terms.

In the end, a vehicle doesn't buy happiness.

That said, while every dealership is out to make money, not every dealer is unethical about it. The same goes for every business.

We all have or have had jobs, most of the time for a company trying to make a profit. It doesn't mean we choose or are told to do it unethically.

BassMaster

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Despite all our efforts to protect ourselves, getting pre-approved by Ford and our local credit union, it didn't matter, The financing manager went ahead and pushed another lender. He also talked to us about getting an extended warranty while mentioning over and over again that "Ford" will take of any issues. Later we found out that the extended warranty contract was with a company that has a really bad reputation. So, why does Ford need dealers if they will not sell Ford's financial services and extended warranty? We did end up getting a loan with our credit union and we canceled the crappy overpriced extended warranty. But it took a lot of work, frustration, and the horrible financing manager told my wife that he would sue me for slander. For me that is laughable and at the same time pathetic that Ford has a clown-like that involved with their products and services.
Always remember that the best salesperson at the dealership is not your salesman or the sales manager. It’s the FINANCE manager. Every crap product they get you to buy pads their salary. Saying no doesn’t always work….they just keep coming back at you. You have to get up and head for the front door. It’s a shame it has to be this way but in my 50 th year on god‘s earth I have leaned these lessons the hard way. Turns out my dad knew more than I ever gave him credit for 😀

Sponsored

Montague19??

Base
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
The price of the extended warranty can be negotiated. You can shop reputable companies online and get a base price for the term you want years/mileage and ask the dealer to beat the price. Most dealers always use a third party for their VSCs. If you go outside the dealer, you have to pay out of pocket and can't roll it into payments. On my wife's 2020 cx-5 I went in approved from my bank, but recieved 0% for 60mos from mazda, so I took that. Most descent size dealers are funded by the service department, the front of the deal is where they have the most flexibility( the price between MSRP and invoice, hold back, floor plan assistance, and usually advertising assistance ) they make most of their profits in the finance office with the products( GAP, extended warranty, maintenance contract, etc.) Unfortunately currently with little supply and high demand a lot of dealers have the advantage. It is more beneficial for them to get you to walk, so they can slap the ADM sticker on the vehicle. Really the only thing you can do as a consumer when a dealer tries to screw you over, is just leave bad reviews on every site you can and not go back for any reason. Hopefully their unethical practices will come back to bite them.

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a good experience with my dealer. Most of us have options on who to deal with. Like any other major purchase, references and reputation are key.

frankk

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Elise
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agree with the general concensus that many car dealers are scum. They are trained to be that way. Normal people who need jobs are pushed into this sleazy living. They will take advantage of anyone who shows up unarmed.

Also agree that not all dealers adopt this tact. But the majority do across sales, extras, financing, and service. It's a shame. It's even a bigger shame that every major car brand has allowed this to happen (zero intervention).

In my experience, I always deal with the Finance Manger (not sales). I'm clear on what I want and don't want up front. I will accommodate them if it's not a major disadvantage (e.g., take a loan then pay it off a week later or buy an extra for a hundred bucks as long as it doesn't entail them touching the car).

Most of my Bronco-like 'special' purchases have gone smooth. Most of my traditional car buying negotiation has been with Mazda, Honda, and Nissan buying for my family. 1.5 hours to get to the deal you already know they'll provide based on Internet standards. Ugh.
Sponsored