Sponsored

Are we to assume that dealers primarily want to screw you?

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes.
All dealers are out to screw you. Many people here (a lot of salesmen too) will say “my dealer is great” or “they aren’t all bad”. For those people, you are either a liar or have been severely misled.
While it is law that dealers exist for the sale of cars/trucks (electric cars are different, see Tesla), it is the dealer (independent from Ford and a private business of their own) whose job it is to take as much money from you as possible. Your job is to keep as much as you can while still purchasing what you want. Knowing this, the dealers will do every shady thing they can think of to take as much as they can especially in this market. We all know that if you turn down your Bronco, they will sell it for more $$ to the next guy.
My advice to anyone is to take emotion out of it. It’s business for them and it should be for you as well. Your salesman might be nice to your face but make no mistake, everyone that works at a dealership is there to screw you.
I am not a liar nor have I been severely misled. Whether you understand it or not and whether you like it or not, some dealers are shady and some are upstanding, ethical business people. Period. Yes, they are in business to make money (Whoa! Newsflash!!!). You sound like you got the short end of life’s stick which has clouded your outlook on reality, which sounds ignorantly toxic. My dealer committed to an MSRP price. Promise made; promise kept. My dealer committed to zero admin fees. Promise made; promise kept. My dealer committed to Ford X plan even after Ford did not offer it. Promise made;promise kept. I was lucky enough to get a Raptor golden ticket with the same dealer and yes it wil be MSRP, in writing.
Sponsored

MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I get the number that needs to be paid for the vehicle without any added crap, then go get a check from my credit union and pay for it.

This. I once showed up with a cashiers check for an F-150 for the agreed on price. Got ushered into the finance managers office and all of a sudden there was 1500+ more on my sheet of various crap.

Ask him if he was taking my check. He said no.

I got up. He asked where I'm going. I said, going to talk to Clay. Clay being the owner of the dealership and an acquaintance of mine.

He jumped up, said "let me go talk to him".

Came back a few minutes later, took my check, did the paperwork, and me and my truck left.

Every car/truck I've bought from this dealership since I refuse to talk to anyone except my salesman. Finance guys can pound sand.

CMillBronco

Base
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GMC HD 3500 AT4, 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Base
We just bought a 22' Tacoma while we wait for our Bronco and the Fincance guy was the worst! These guys now resort to basically telling you that you know nothing and you need to listen to them for extended warranty advice. Like others have said I just keep saying NO but now it seems I have to say NO 30+ times.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I love the Bronco that I have on order, but I'm absolutely ready to walk away should if they want to ignore our agreed terms.

In the end, a vehicle doesn't buy happiness.

That said, while every dealership is out to make money, not every dealer is unethical about it. The same goes for every business.

We all have or have had jobs, most of the time for a company trying to make a profit. It doesn't mean we choose or are told to do it unethically.
Absolutely, people unable to walk away from a deal, invite getting shafted. And salespersons are good at sniffing out that weakness in a customer and exploiting.

And yeah, there is a difference between a salesperson trying to max profit, and being outright unethical when doing it.

I do feel too many folks buy a car unprepared, and then later are "shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here." It's one of the largest purchases some people will make in life, and makes sense to be better prepared.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Reality is, EVERYTHING during the purchase of a vehicle is negotiable. Unfortunately, due to the demand on Broncos very little if any negotiation is currently available on the vehicle price. Right now, the dealers have the upper hand on price, but one can still negotiate things like the extended warranty.

Sponsored

CMillBronco

Base
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GMC HD 3500 AT4, 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Reality is, EVERYTHING during the purchase of a vehicle is negotiable. Unfortunately, due to the demand on Broncos very little if any negotiation is currently available on the vehicle price. Right now, the dealers have the upper hand on price, but one can still negotiate things like the extended warranty.
AND finance %, go in educated for sure, I was able to get .2 off the rate I was pre-approved for by my CU through Toyota.

HarderCorer

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
... some dealers are shady and some are upstanding, ethical business people. Period. Yes, they are in business to make money (Whoa! Newsflash!!!).
Yep. No different than mechanics, plumbers, dentists, whatever. Some know that being honest will have long term benefits with repeat business and word of mouth. Others are out for a quick buck any way they can.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

FreshKsig

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FE Bronco, 22 BB Bronco, 21 Mustang Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Some dealerships are bad and some customers are bad. Try to find a good dealership and try not to be a Karen.

Last edited:

Cooldude

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes e400 cab, edge titanium, ford f150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So make money means that they can tell about an extended warranty naming Ford as the company that will take of any issues, but selling a substandard product that has nothing to do with Ford? Is that a deceptive practice.
Same goes for the financing, we told him that we were pre approved by Ford and our credit union and he didn’t care at all. So the whole process is predicated that they are there to make and as a consumer we are a prey. That is abhorrent.

Technically he didn’t lie about the warranty. Nobody made you buy a warranty, you could of said no , and got a warranty after you bought the vehicle. You went in unprepared for reality.

Sponsored

Coloradonatives

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Chevelle 2020 Chevy Traverse 2009 9-7x Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes.
All dealers are out to screw you. Many people here (a lot of salesmen too) will say “my dealer is great” or “they aren’t all bad”. For those people, you are either a liar or have been severely misled.
While it is law that dealers exist for the sale of cars/trucks (electric cars are different, see Tesla), it is the dealer (independent from Ford and a private business of their own) whose job it is to take as much money from you as possible. Your job is to keep as much as you can while still purchasing what you want. Knowing this, the dealers will do every shady thing they can think of to take as much as they can especially in this market. We all know that if you turn down your Bronco, they will sell it for more $$ to the next guy.
My advice to anyone is to take emotion out of it. It’s business for them and it should be for you as well. Your salesman might be nice to your face but make no mistake, everyone that works at a dealership is there to screw you.
You are saying "screw you" to all of us. Calling us liars and ignorant. Shame on you and your petulant lecturing. BACK OFF.

Min_Ahn

Badlands
First Name
Min
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang, 2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Car salesman, Cellphone salesman, Internet salesman, PC repair service... they all fall under the same category to me

OP
OP
jaboticaba

jaboticaba

Outer Banks
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 Chevy Truck
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Technically he didn’t lie about the warranty. Nobody made you buy a warranty, you could of said no , and got a warranty after you bought the vehicle. You went in unprepared for reality.
I get it! I walked into a Ford dealer they talked about how Ford will take any issues if I purchase an extended warranty, only to find out that they were deceptive and i didn’t purchase a Ford brand extended warranty, but a substandard product. I should had prepared by studying a guide in how car dealers are by default deceptive. I’m glad I don’t have to that with many other products or services. I don’t have to carry around a lab kit to check if my food has harmful bacteria.

Cooldude

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes e400 cab, edge titanium, ford f150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I get it! I walked into a Ford dealer they talked about how Ford will take any issues if I purchase an extended warranty, only to find out that they were deceptive and i didn’t purchase a Ford brand extended warranty, but a substandard product. I should had prepared by studying a guide in how car dealers are by default deceptive. I’m glad I don’t have to that with many other products or services. I don’t have to carry around a lab kit to check if my food has harmful bacteria.

Your buying a vehicle worth over $30,000+, not a plate of food , being an adult is hard. Learn the word “no”
Sponsored