Sponsored

Back to the drawing board - can’t use ceiling for top hoist system?

615_Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2D BL, SAS, MT, & 2015 F-350 DRW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just drove from Lynchburg VA after visiting the kids at Liberty and drove the parkway. Dont wait too much longer!! from 4k feet up - about 50% of the trees have turned yellow, orange and red.

We do this every Oct and got to drive the Bronco this time. Was only able to go topless on the front row since we are in Raleigh and were gone for about 3 days for the trip.

This was on Mt Mitchell...last year - we hit it right at Oct 12th and parts of the parkway including mitchell were closed for the season THAT DAY!! We literally arrived at craggy gardens and everything from there north for several exits past Mt Mitchell was closed for the season due to ice.

Image20231006155153.jpg
Thanks! I was gonna hold out another week till I hit the mountains but it sounds like this coming week I’ll go East instead of West. 🍻
Sponsored

TNBronc4344

Badlands
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just drove from Lynchburg VA after visiting the kids at Liberty and drove the parkway. Dont wait too much longer!! from 4k feet up - about 50% of the trees have turned yellow, orange and red.

We do this every Oct and got to drive the Bronco this time. Was only able to go topless on the front row since we are in Raleigh and were gone for about 3 days for the trip.

This was on Mt Mitchell...last year - we hit it right at Oct 12th and parts of the parkway including mitchell were closed for the season THAT DAY!! We literally arrived at craggy gardens and everything from there north for several exits past Mt Mitchell was closed for the season due to ice.

Image20231006155153.jpg
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll plan this week.

Mkass

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Supports the top and all the excess lumber,piping,molding,surfboards,garage door opener and hockey sticks without a second thought.

IMG_1060.jpeg
what year is your Mach 1

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Sponsored

JZZ

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

LOL 😂 really if your concerned go buy 3 2x4’s use two to double up the trus on the outside and one to go crossways over the top to help spread the weight. One sheet of 5/8 drywall probably weighs the same as the top so you’ll be good

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

in general a single 2x10 ceiling joist can support 1440 lbs by itself so if you span the install across multiples, you can just put a hoist in and lift your entire bronco.

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, I’m pretty bummed and stumped at what I should do. I bought the “Hoist a Top” roof removal system to install in my new house’s garage, but my boyfriend says that he doesn’t think the ceiling will support any additional weight because there are only roof trusses and not proper support for hanging anything from the roof. (I also wanted to install a Fleximount overhead rack and that’s probably not happening either.)

I don’t know much about this type of stuff and so I’ve researched a good bit the past couple days and while I can’t confirm for certain that he’s right, I agree that it looks like the risk is there. They are 2x4s spanning the width of the garage.

Attaching pics of my attic if anyone here is a roof expert that can give me reassurance, but I reached out to a couple structural engineers to get an opinion but they all say they have to come out to the property to see and measure to determine, and that sounds even more expensive.

I’m still in the return window for Amazon so I’ve got to figure out something ASAP. Hoping to either confirm it’s ok, or figure out an alternative solution to remove and store the top that will allow me to use my garage still.

Suggestions? I could really use a little help from my friends.
IMG_9091.jpeg
IMG_9092.jpeg
IMG_9095.jpeg
Man, I had the fact that most homebuilders are using pre-fab engineered roof joists. Totally removes the ability to store stuff up there.

But that gripe aside, there should be more than enough structural support for your MIC roof. As others have said, just make sure you hook all the way through a 2x4.

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Geez…….take a step back. Engineers design for worse case……. There are no guarantees, but for day to day use your ceiling struts will supports your needs

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I know it’s not my Bronco but hung my 180# RTT with 2 kayak hoists for $50 and 2 2x4s cut down.

edit: bonus points if you can identify the vehicle to the right

Ford Bronco Back to the drawing board - can’t use ceiling for top hoist system? IMG_8570

Last edited:

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah..like I mentioned, I have engineered i-beams which, according to internet you shouldn't hang anything from because you're entire house can fall down !

Yet I have 100lbs RTT, 500+ lbs multiple ceilings racks, a garage door...and all are held up with just a few 5/16th lag bolts.

Ford Bronco Back to the drawing board - can’t use ceiling for top hoist system? 20230916_075007

Kach Vartan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a related question. I am planning to install the Harken hoist on my garage’s exposed pitched ceiling. Would it be safe to install the hardware (believe it’s just the screw with a hook/loop) directly to the angled rafters? I circled the contemplated mounting points below. Should I reinforce the setup by adding some 2x4 parallel to each rafter at the mounting point?

Also, any idea if the Harken system can be made to work with an angled ceiling? Half of the mounting points will be mounted roughly 2 feet higher than the others given the pitch of the roof.

IMG_1392.jpeg

F-Spot

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla, FJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
What you do is run a 2x4 or 4x4 across several of those trusses to spread the weight across them.

Even that will be overkill for a 100lb.

100% to this solution

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
edit: bonus points if you can identify the vehicle to the right
Fun quiz. I saw a bit of an old Porsche Targa but the aluminum trim is too narrow. Seems like I've seen this but can't place it yet.

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Fun quiz. I saw a bit of an old Porsche Targa but the aluminum trim is too narrow. Seems like I've seen this but can't place it yet.
Hint. Username checks out 👀
Sponsored