Sponsored

MarkusBigBucks

Badlands
First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Superduty 7.3 PSD, 2017 Ford Escape.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agreed. The rolled-sealed edges do not seem uniform or complete on some Bronco tops, including from the mentioned post. An unsealed edge could spell trouble over time, especially given some already are showing separation.

For reference, below is a photo of the lower rolled and sealed edge of my 1998 TJ hardtop. Other than some scrapes from getting laid on pavement, it's no worse for wear after 20+ years of usage.

I'd like to see Ford figure a better way to roll and seal all the edges of their Bronco tops, instead of seeing what appears to be simply cut material with the interior part of the top exposed.

TJhardtopLowerEdge.jpg
Yep, thats what it should look like, you are absolutely correct.
Sponsored

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I suspect A) it is hard to do. B) expensive to do C) most consumers will not pay the required price, which means D) nobody is going to make a killing on this.
I think youā€™re right. I also think there is some hesitancy because Ford accessories hasnā€™t finalized the pricing. If theyā€™re $2,995 at the Ford Dealer, few will buy a $6,995 AEV.

MarkusBigBucks

Badlands
First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So today I had a appointment with a Ford Representative to look at my top MIC 2. 0 on my FE. They confirmed it is a 2.0. They agree the edges should be finished, they agree it is a problem. They did say they are not sure of the solution and it could take some time to figure it out. He did say most people probably wont complain about it, and currently there are not many. ( not sure I believe that) They had a new hardtop center panel there for a customer who had a soft top that had just came in and we opened up the box and it also had unfinished edges. So ordering a new top wont get you any where you are not already at. Conclusion is , its not going to get fixed anytime soon and I did not expect it would and I am not upset about it at all, just as long as it eventually gets fixed. My thoughts and my opinion is , people who live in warm climates wont have a issue. But I believe people who live in areas of extreme temperature changes and moisture ,in time will have issues , might take a few years. With a raw edge untreated its open to moisture, when moisture gets in the fiberglass and it freezes it will expand causing delaminating or separation of the fibers. My advice to anybody with these hardtops is to go over it with a fine tooth comb, if you have exposed fiberglass even if its smooth to touch, if it is not sealed ( should have gel coat or paint on the edge , it should not be white if you have a black top) take pictures , report it to your dealer even if you think it will be fine. Protect your self for the future in case it does start delaminating. Below I ill post pictures of what they should look like, then Ill post pictures of my 2.0 looks like.

this is what they should look like, If yours doesnā€™t I would let the dealer know . This is indio22 98 JL top he posted about earlier in this thread.
Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days 47B07B64-8F79-4EDC-A96D-A81584D89F3B

this is bad craftsmanship IMO the next pictures.
Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days 9521D622-BDDF-42BA-ADE1-91E080CC32FE

Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days DC727F4A-55BA-4483-AF40-58BF3A5C5340
Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days A3769130-6CA1-4D3B-845A-BBD5629CFB29
Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days 45FEBB01-B029-43AF-ABB7-3EA0B3A2679A

next pictures are dimples I found , small but non the less a $60k vehicle should not have this.
Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days 9CDAC726-5425-43E5-AE03-DA5560F86414
Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days FB3D323F-1934-43E8-8855-0E0A7213B424

Then the top rubber seal protruding
Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days CFB6E1A6-3974-49C4-BBA1-BEA1EA77956E

I also have some honey comb , its mild but non the less there.

Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days 3A0F3568-F7B1-4DA8-9389-A5C012CB26A9

My final thoughts are , I love my Bronco, absolutely love it. For those who have not received theirs yet, its worth the wait, hold tight you will be happy. While I might be what some call dam picky, and I am sure there are many. But when you pay $63k for a vehicle plus tax $6700 (Washington State) and licensing plus a $5k markup (my fault I agreed to that) you end up with a $73k vehicle , most will be more as I put down $54,500.00 so my finance charges where minimal. You should get a finished product, these edges are unfinished. I am positive in time Ford Motor Co will take care of the issues.
This post is to help people with there tops so they understand what to look for so they can document there top in case of future problems down the road. I hope this helps. And please report to your dealership.

PS idio22 I stole your picture of your 98 JL!

Last edited:

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The sad thing is itā€™s going to take along time to replace every hardtop when they do get it wright and going to cost ford a boatload of money

Sponsored

Meandeane

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4 Door Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So today I had a appointment with a Ford Representative to look at my top MIC 2. 0 on my FE. They confirmed it is a 2.0. They agree the edges should be finished, they agree it is a problem. They did say they are not sure of the solution and it could take some time to figure it out. He did say most people probably wont complain about it, and currently there are not many. ( not sure I believe that) They had a new hardtop center panel there for a customer who had a soft top that had just came in and we opened up the box and it also had unfinished edges. So ordering a new top wont get you any where you are not already at. Conclusion is , its not going to get fixed anytime soon and I did not expect it would and I am not upset about it at all, just as long as it eventually gets fixed. My thoughts and my opinion is , people who live in warm climates wont have a issue. But I believe people who live in areas of extreme temperature changes and moisture ,in time will have issues , might take a few years. With a raw edge untreated its open to moisture, when moisture gets in the fiberglass and it freezes it will expand causing delaminating or separation of the fibers. My advice to anybody with these hardtops is to go over it with a fine tooth comb, if you have exposed fiberglass even if its smooth to touch, if it is not sealed ( should have gel coat or paint on the edge , it should not be white if you have a black top) take pictures , report it to your dealer even if you think it will be fine. Protect your self for the future in case it does start delaminating. Below I ill post pictures of what they should look like, then Ill post pictures of my 2.0 looks like.

this is what they should look like, If yours doesnā€™t I would let the dealer know . This is indio22 98 JL top he posted about earlier in this thread.
Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days 3A0F3568-F7B1-4DA8-9389-A5C012CB26A9

this is bad craftsmanship IMO the next pictures.

next pictures are dimples I found , small but non the less a $60k vehicle should not have this.

Then the top rubber seal protruding

I also have some honey comb , its mild but non the less there.

My final thoughts are , I love my Bronco, absolutely love it. For those who have not received theirs yet, its worth the wait, hold tight you will be happy. While I might be what some call dam picky, and I am sure there are many. But when you pay $63k for a vehicle plus tax $6700 (Washington State) and licensing plus a $5k markup (my fault I agreed to that) you end up with a $73k vehicle , most will be more as I put down $54,500.00 so my finance charges where minimal. You should get a finished product, these edges are unfinished. I am positive in time Ford Motor Co will take care of the issues.
This post is to help people with there tops so they understand what to look for so they can document there top in case of future problems down the road. I hope this helps. And please report to your dealership.

PS idio22 I stole your picture of your 98 JL!
How did you get in direct contact with a Ford rep?

I took mine into my dealer so they could document the issues I've seen but so far no follow up and they haven't been good at communicating so far.

SASProbie

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Windup Toy
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

MarkusBigBucks

Badlands
First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How did you get in direct contact with a Ford rep?

I took mine into my dealer so they could document the issues I've seen but so far no follow up and they haven't been good at communicating so far.
The dealership called him in . His official title is field service engineer , Seattle Region. After I first notified them (the day I bought it)I just kept on the dealership in a nice way, they rest assured and showed me the emails they sent to ford reassuring me they are dealing with the problem, then one day last week I received a phone call from the dealership stating the guy was coming in and wanted to see the top for himself, set up the appointment. Iā€™m lucky as the service manager agrees with me, this isnā€™t right and needs to get fixed or we will be buying another hardtop in the future which was one of the reason I did not want a soft top , I dont want to have to keep buying tops. I plan on keeping my Bronco for the rest of my life. My truck I bought brand new in 2000 still looks new and runs great. This is a retirement vehicle , as such I will be on a fixed income and dont want large expenses that are not necessary. I dont want this top to start falling about in 5 years after the warranty is gone. And that is exactly what will happen if they don't fix them right.

anybody with a hardtop that looks like the above pictures need to push it hard. They tried to convince me not many are complaining but we already know enough complained that hardtop 1.0 is now 2.0 and I hear 3.0 is in the works so that pretty much proves more are complaining than they wanted me to believe. The price of these vehicles the edges should be finished.

Last edited:

usarms

Big Bend
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was trying to figure out why the wind noise from the hardtop. I looked at the seals that don't fit correctly anywhere so I decided to locate the air leaks using my FLIR thermal. These pics are just from the tops of the doors where they intersect with the hardtop. I picked those because it's obvious that either engineers or the manufacturer needs to go back to school. These are with the truck running for less than 5 minutes. That's a lot of gap space and the red shows the worst areas. The yellow indicates a lesser leak. I was only concerned about the joint above the doors this time. All the edges look like they were sawed off and there is a lot of exposed black foam material visible under the seams. Not what you would expect from a major manufacturer.
Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days FLIR_20211228_050310

Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days FLIR_20211228_050354

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ohhh. good idea, now I just need to go grab my thermal camera and do the same! Why didn't I already think of that!!! LOL! That is the easy way to do it!!!

Markpf189

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My mic 2.0 is already leaking after only a week - itā€™s a small amount right now, but Iā€™m just hoping it doesnā€™t get worse over time..should note it rained here for about 10 hours in a row 2 days since owernship.

Interestingly, it doesnā€™t leak during a high pressure wash, but does during a light prolonged rain.

I have to look the top over still to check for any gaps etc

Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days 170A84C8-C09F-4DF6-BC4F-1CE5F0F97F2A

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was trying to figure out why the wind noise from the hardtop. I looked at the seals that don't fit correctly anywhere so I decided to locate the air leaks using my FLIR thermal. These pics are just from the tops of the doors where they intersect with the hardtop. I picked those because it's obvious that either engineers or the manufacturer needs to go back to school. These are with the truck running for less than 5 minutes. That's a lot of gap space and the red shows the worst areas. The yellow indicates a lesser leak. I was only concerned about the joint above the doors this time. All the edges look like they were sawed off and there is a lot of exposed black foam material visible under the seams. Not what you would expect from a major manufacturer.
Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days 170A84C8-C09F-4DF6-BC4F-1CE5F0F97F2A

SciencešŸ‘

Markpf189

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Does anyone elseā€™s top have a section in the front window by the back where it looks like itā€™s essentially missing a chunk of the outside rubber? Both sides.

62531D07-0F74-45ED-8C82-40DBFF888D19.jpeg

31AD91F5-41A1-45FE-BB10-B0B7AD5FD942.jpeg

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My mic 2.0 is already leaking after only a week - itā€™s a small amount right now, but Iā€™m just hoping it doesnā€™t get worse over time..should note it rained here for about 10 hours in a row 2 days since owernship.

Interestingly, it doesnā€™t leak during a high pressure wash, but does during a light prolonged rain.

I have to look the top over still to check for any gaps etc

Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days 31AD91F5-41A1-45FE-BB10-B0B7AD5FD942
Not acceptable.
Sponsored