North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Has it been determined if the MOD top eventually will be available to match body color? That is what I wanted from the start of all this. When I re-ordered back in October, I selected the soft top only because it was standard. But I did that under the assumption that I can eventually order the mod in body matching color.

Edit: this thread sort of answered my question: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/painted-tops-discontinued.27254/
I have a feeling Ford is DEEP into the R&D of the mod top already. We'll see them well before 2023 I'm guessing.
"And for being such a loyal customer... Free mod too for everyone!"
MIC is going to die come 2023 when the MOD top is ready. No way Ford continues with this catastrophe.
Where was it confirmed. All the ones I’ve seen in testing were fiberglass
Since we know Ford designed the MIC top and Webasto is simply the production company, it would not be an incorrect statement to say the Ford engineers who designed the tops are in over their heads due to lack of experience or management budget constraints.

Based on the observations all of us have seen from the trainwreck the MIC top is, I'm really losing any hope that the MOD top design will be any better (I'm still waiting on the white painted version). If Ford had engineers capable of designing a quality removable roof, you would see their talent spread across all Bronco roofs. Instead we see the multiple problems of not only the MIC top but also the Softtop (and don't get me started on the saggy windows), why should we think the MOD top will be any different? There may be more to the delay of the MOD top until 2023 than just the fact Webasto screwed up and had the contract pulled from them.

@D2dhanover can you please give us any additional insight that would be helpful or prove me wrong?
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So for starters I’ve heard rumors Webasto is preparing for production of the Soft Top. I’m not sure if Haartz is having a hard time with demand or that was the conversion of the existing contract for Hard Top production just so they can at least do something still.

As for the Mod top I know the process is definitely a bit different, it’s thicker and overall better. The physical design is identical to the current Hard Top apart from the materials, finish and of course removable windows on both two and four door units and then the center hatch on two doors.

I wish I could provide absolute conviction that the Mod Top will turn everything around but it’s impossible to say. They know they need to get it right. Though as far as I’ve been able to find out the issues rely mainly with Webasto as the design involved an entirely new process for them and it was their first go at it. Granted this was designed by Ford as you said, Webasto was struggling to achieve it while saying they’d be able to every chance they got. Also what I’ve heard is that at the time they started doing this, their headquarters were the first to shut down for Covid at the beginning, their tooling supply comes from wuhan and the manufacturing of the tooling assemblies came from Italy. All terrible blends of issues.
Thanks for the reply, so is Haartz the company who will produce the MOD top?

Regarding Covid and the terrible blend of issues, Ford would have been better to pause the introduction of the Bronco with the insurmountable issues in front of them. Instead, it has simply reinforced their inability to have a smooth product launch after they said the 2020 Explorer launch taught them lessons they would not repeat.

Ford has had many chances and time to right the ship, but I'm afraid their efforts are still wanting.

stick_figure_bailing_water_4837.gif

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
UPDATE: I may have been a bit premature on my praise for how this was being handled. While I appreciate the Ford Rep putting me in touch with someone contacting the dealer, nothing is as cut and dry as I was led to believe. I am hearing of "fixes" that I find totally unacceptable. Bubble gum and duct tape don't make the structural issues disappear, it just puts them out of sight. I will update again when there is an answer.

UPDATE(2): Just heard back from the dealer and a new top has been ordered.

I know people have been really down on the Ford Rep on here, but there is a lot she does behind the scenes to facilitate some of these issues being addressed. I can tell you that Ford corporate had already been in touch with my dealer before taking it in this morning. There is a new top being ordered, although it is quite a ways out. I'm more than happy for Ford to take their time and make sure these issues are in the rearview before sending replacement tops out. In fact, I want them to and expect it. In the meantime, I am going to enjoy the hell out of this machine.

Last edited:

jacobmendez

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
(Ford is aware and in communication, so we don't need to keep pinging them)

Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days stick_figure_bailing_water_4837

Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days stick_figure_bailing_water_4837

Updated photo from this AM. My hands aren't Samsquatch in real life, that's just the zoom level. You can see the fuzzy look on the edge, and that wasn't there when I picked it up 5 days ago. You REALLY have to be looking for it though.

Bad news, folks. This is a MIC 2.0 top built 10/1, delivered 4 days ago.

Top looked excellent at pickup. Did not notice any issues.. 4 days later, I notice I can see the old issue returning. Have not notified Ford yet.

Check your MIC tops CLOSELY on the rearmost panel by the windows. Appears to be pulling apart a bit.

I'll have a lot more photos and any other misc info coming shortly.

There is also slight honeycombing.

Edited for brevity.

Updated with some photos posted later in thread by @AJ_West_

Are they also aware of the creaking that's occurring similar to the 1.0? I had that happen to me the other day when it got really cold. It stopped when the temperature raised for a bit, but that tells me I'm in for a noisy winter...

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are they also aware of the creaking that's occurring similar to the 1.0? I had that happen to me the other day when it got really cold. It stopped when the temperature raised for a bit, but that tells me I'm in for a noisy winter...
Ford is watching the forums, specifically this one and this particular thread. It went a lot higher up than the Ford Rep everyone is familiar with. OP may have a different answer, and I don't want to step on toes, but that is coming from the individual our Ford Rep had call me. There are multiple eyes on this forum.

Sponsored

broncoky

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR CB OBX SAS & 2000 Lexus LS400
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I had a service appointment on Saturday morning with my local dealership to drop the factory/break-in oil and filter. I attempted to report all my MIC hardtop issues at this time to the service advisor, but all she did was make another appointment for me to come back on the 29th, some two weeks later @ 7:00AM, as that was the next available appointment to do a warranty claim? I've only had one other new car and never had any issues that required going in for a non-mechanical warranty claim, just routine maintenance mostly....

My question is, who is responsible for a warranty claim like this at a Ford dealership? Would it be the service manager, general manager, or someone else? I'm fairly certain I won't be able to wait until the appointment on the 29th; just to get the process started. If I know who to speak with, I might just roll up and ask for that person directly....

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Add this to the honeycomb/snakeskin texture and exposed uneven edges of MIC 1.1.... Oh yeah, don't forget the clicking sounds it loves make after the temperature drops.

I've joined the leaky top club 42 days & 1,370 miles after delivery.

The Bronco was parked on a level surface at work for about 3-4 hours of consistent rain.

This shitty top is literally the only thing I'm not impressed with! I'm sure more people will have stories like mine after that huge weather system went by today!

Now I know why they put a drain in the storage compartment in front of the shifter. My soft top isn't perfect but at least it keeps the interior dry. I still want a hard top down the road so keeping up to date to know when this is all fixed.

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My question is, who is responsible for a warranty claim like this at a Ford dealership? Would it be the service manager, general manager, or someone else? I'm fairly certain I won't be able to wait until the appointment on the 29th; just to get the process started. If I know who to speak with, I might just roll up and ask for that person directly....
I also had to wait 2 weeks for an available appointment. They are required to inspect and document prior to getting an approval. I would talk to the service manager to see if there is anything that you can be doing to speed up the process.

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Soft top is the best of the best of the best sir.

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dear Ford, please let me purchase a new Bronco without a top. I don't want to pay for your leaky/problematic MIC top, nor do I want to pay for your ugly, saggy soft top. I'd prefer to go aftermarket without having to pay for (and then dump) an OEM top. Thanks!

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I know people have been really down on the Ford Rep on here, but there is a lot she does behind the scenes to facilitate some of these issues being addressed. I can tell you that Ford corporate had already been in touch with my dealer before taking it in this morning. There is a new top being ordered, although it is quite a ways out. I'm more than happy for Ford to take their time and make sure these issues are in the rearview before sending replacement tops out. In fact, I want them to and expect it. In the meantime, I am going to enjoy the hell out of this machine.
This "helpful rep" has responded once and really did absolutely nothing useful. As a matter of fact, I am willing to be that I have helped more people get a status on their Bronco than they have in the past several months.

Ford is watching the forums, specifically this one and this particular thread. It went a lot higher up than the Ford Rep everyone is familiar with. OP may have a different answer, and I don't want to step on toes, but that is coming from the individual our Ford Rep had call me. There are multiple eyes on this forum.
Oh, I am sure that they love me up there at Ford. I am sure that I will get the same level of support when my engine blows and my top leaks as I did over the past 3 months while my Bronco was at Dirt Mountain Storage Complex. I suspect that my nightmare is just beginning with regard to my warranty. Given that I have waited over 3 months for a "new top", it better be f'ing perfect.

@Ford Motor Company since you are watching so carefully, why don't you try actually communicating with your customers... They might surprise you when you stop keeping them in the dark and feeding them like they were mushrooms!

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mic 2.0 4 door

On top of open edges and honeycombing,
now a popping/clicking sound started recently. In the area where the front two panels and mid panel all meet. It was only every once in a while. Now it's just constant. Super annoying...

I've yet to try adjusting the various latch screw tightness. The 2 rear facing latches that go from each front panel to the mid panel almost seem too short.

I just hope there is no fight when the top starts to look like shit and I want it covered under my full extended warranty.

KrazeeEyezKilla

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Picked up my FE on Friday and with the dealer there noticed bad honeycombing on the driver front panel. Rear panel shows some very faint honeycombing developing. Middle panel seems fine. I suspect this is a combo of 1.0 and 2.0 parts.
Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days tempImageJYdoJC

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Picked up my FE on Friday and with the dealer there noticed bad honeycombing on the driver front panel. Rear panel shows some very faint honeycombing developing. Middle panel seems fine. I suspect this is a combo of 1.0 and 2.0 parts.
Ford Bronco Bad news about MIC 2.0 quality after a few days tempImageJYdoJC
Needs music to go along with that snake skin!!!

SpringTXOR

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My warranty claim is approved by Ford, dealership had no kind of idea on any ETA though.
Sponsored