Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco 2 door Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Outer Banks 2.7 Sas etc no real mods but a Roush cai and old dude driving style is 19.6 combined MPG and 11k miles :)
Sponsored

23_Badlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 2d SAS 7sp(AB) Hi Tow Modular Hoop
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Manual non sas, hand calc. The dash calc is always high and the higher it reads the farther off it is, but your 1.5 high is in the same range.

Do you use 6th? I read reports on here where people never use 6th. I use it all the time.

I also run the tires at close to 40 psi.

I think I get 17 at 80, 19 at 70, 21 at 60.

I do drive it slower than my other car. I think the visibility, being able to look over other cars calms me down.
Only use 6th when it doesn't require a lot of boost. That's not often.

I get the impression you're getting ~1 mpg better than we are. We both have the same axle ratios (4.70). However, we have the 35's (vs. your 33's). Also, we run our 35's at 32 psi. Prefer the softer ride, plus they seem to wear a bit more evenly. I think both of these factors easily account for the ~1 mpg difference.

I sometimes wonder how much of a mpg boost we'd get if we popped a set of Base 30's on our SAS. My guess at least 2 mpg, maybe 3. With 30's we'd be using 6th gear with a vengeance--lol! As for the look, can't even imagine.

AttackGuy64

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BREAKING NEWS!!!! WATER IS WET AND BRONCO 6Gs GET BAD FUEL ECONOMY. MORE LATER AT 6 O'CLOCK.

If you bought a Bronco expecting hybrid mileage, you may be in the wrong segment. Enjoy your truck for what it is, don't hate it for what it isn't. Its an offroad oriented vehicle that you can pop the top off of and go places most people have never seen.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Like someone else mentioned, its either eco or boost. I did a round trip from the chicago suburbs to indianapolis about 400 miles round trip. I averaged about 18.3 MPG in my BB 4 door. You could practically watch the fuel gauge going down in certain stretches. We were going pretty much 80-85 most of the trip to keep pace with traffic and I was constantly in about 4-6 PSI of boost. I normally average 23-24 in my daily commute but I never really keep the boost sustained on the highway. I believe cruise at 68 pretty much keeps it out of boost.

zerk4321

Base
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Squatch Rapid Red
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

21 Base Saquatch 4-door 2.7 auto soft top modular bumper with skid plates and bull bar/winch plate added - 24,000 miles normal mode - lifetime average of 18.5 with a few off-roading trips. I use cruise control on the highway and stay 70-73 mph max. Highway only mpg is ususally somewhere around 20-22 mpg. If driving faster than 70-73 mph, I definitely see a quick drop-off in mpg.

Last edited:

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BREAKING NEWS!!!! WATER IS WET AND BRONCO 6Gs GET BAD FUEL ECONOMY. MORE LATER AT 6 O'CLOCK.

If you bought a Bronco expecting hybrid mileage, you may be in the wrong segment. Enjoy your truck for what it is, don't hate it for what it isn't. Its an offroad oriented vehicle that you can pop the top off of and go places most people have never seen.
Not bitching about lousy gas mileage driving a plated up saltine box... check.

Not bitching about lousy gas mileage and a tiny gas tank... ehhhhhhhhhhhhh............

:LOL:

I get the same gas mileage in my 2010 Chevy SB V6 than I do my Bronco. The difference? It has a 26g tank. When I'm out driving the countryside (like Palo Pinto), I now always consider, should I get gas at that sketchy gas station? 🤔

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think part of it (just a guess) is the little engine. My F-150 with the 2.7 got better in town than the highway. Friend with the same year F-150, but a 5.0 got better hwy than I did.
Gear ratios don't help either. 6th gear at 0.646:1 is too much. You can get better mpg in 5th, since the engine often needs boost just to keep up normal freeway speed in 6th. 5th should have been around 0.82, and 6th at 0.7

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gear ratios don't help either. 6th gear at 0.646:1 is too much. You can get better mpg in 5th, since the engine often needs boost just to keep up normal freeway speed in 6th. 5th should have been around 0.82, and 6th at 0.7
You can change your different to a lower ratio ( numerically higher) to achieve that.. are you running a 4.46::1?

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

LOL dude.
Try 11.5 mpg in my badlands 2 door sasquatch manual.

Its what i get for goosing it around in SNOW goat mode and letting it warm up in the mornings.

20240205_164919[1].jpg

jrandy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Looks like you have some fun :ROFLMAO:

LOL dude.
Try 11.5 mpg in my badlands 2 door sasquatch manual.

Its what i get for goosing it around in SNOW goat mode and letting it warm up in the mornings.

Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch has terrible MPG 20240205_164919[1]

Sponsored

TC1

Wildtrak
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2022 Mach E, 2021 Escape, 2014 RX 450
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just did two back to back road trips to St George Utah. About 300 miles each way.

After 8 months ownership My Badlands Sasquatch on 35’s gets about 18mpg around town.
But the 2 road trips had me averaging 13.6 mpg on the highway. One trip was loaded up with two adults and 2 children and luggage. The second trip was 1 adult 1 kid and minimal luggage. Difference was only .4 mpg for the “lighter” trip.
Is this normally what people are seeing?
It’s almost worth selling over.
I'm going to tell my story with gas mileage. We drove from Iowa to Moab last summer plus I drive often a 400 mile round trip to my parents farm to help. I'm not a speed demon but I like to cruise about 5-7 over posted limits so you know my habits. My Bronco is a 22, 2 slammer Wildtrak, HOSS package

Driving to Moab on I80 to I76 threw Nebraska I tried a few things to pass time. ECO mode, sport mode, standard. I soon found out that ECO is not MPG friendly it was down from standard by 2.1 MPG on two tanks one going out one coming home. Sport was down 2.7 MPG and ran in 4A the whole time the rest was in 2H. I tried to always use Sinclair Fuel premium if possible. and we never ran above 80 MPH 22.8 MPG. Now in the mountains when wee slowed down to 70 MPH we started seeing 24-25 MPG. On HWY 550 we got an incredible 31.2 MPG between Durango to Ouray to Montrose. but that was slow driving I would guess 40-45 MPH at it was raining sleet and snow. Note tire pressure was at 36PSI

Now my daily driving 11 miles to work and back it 17.5 MPG most on 4 lane closed access roads. Going to the farm is 19-20 MPG with a mix of driving 2 lane 4 lanes driving thru small towns typical speed is 65MPH.

My father always hand calculated his mileage and I unfortunately got the bad habit from him. Plus as an engineer I'm always curious.

broncabilly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a 4 cylinder, now a 6, otherwise completely identical builds (2 door badsquatches). I can't figure out why the 6 cylinder is so much worse cruising along at 70 mph - 17 vs over 20. I'm not positive but I do think the turbo boost is going more with the 6 cylinder. Strange to me that everything else being equal the 6 cylinder would need that much more gas.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well at least it's not just me... no Sasquatch here, but I get equally garbage fuel mileage.

I also get worse mileage on highway than I do in town.

Edit: For the record, I don't actually care that I get poor fuel economy, but it IS funny that my Mustang GT gets way better mileage.
My Corvette was my best MPG vehicle at one point lol its because your mustang has wayyy better aerodynamics so it gets better MPG

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Corvette was my best MPG vehicle at one point lol its because your mustang has wayyy better aerodynamics so it gets better MPG
Oh I understand why, (lighter + aero + gearing) but it's still funny when a 450hp v8 is what I consider my "fuel efficient" vehicle.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Our top story tonight: Badlands Sasquatch has terrible MPG

In other news, the sun rises in the east and sets in the west