Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just did two back to back road trips to St George Utah. About 300 miles each way.

After 8 months ownership My Badlands Sasquatch on 35’s gets about 18mpg around town.
But the 2 road trips had me averaging 13.6 mpg on the highway. One trip was loaded up with two adults and 2 children and luggage. The second trip was 1 adult 1 kid and minimal luggage. Difference was only .4 mpg for the “lighter” trip.
Is this normally what people are seeing?
It’s almost worth selling over.
depends a lot on how fast you’re going and winds. We did a roadtrip to big bend (10ish hrs each way) and managed to be driving into 20mph wind most of the time and got 13-14mpg at 80mph. On flat ground it was pushing 5-6psi of boost, and up to 11-12psi going up hills.

I did another all day drive to Laredo and back about 5hrs each way with minimal wind and got 17.8 mpg with the cruise set on 80 all day.
Also this is with oem tires filled to 40-42psi

Knives2.0

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4D BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's almost like having big off road tires don't like doing 80 on the highway, also if you bought a bronco for the mpg then the jokes on you. Smdh

Sponsored

Farm8265

Badlands
First Name
STAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F 350 KING RANCH, 2017 VOLVO T90,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just did two back to back road trips to St George Utah. About 300 miles each way.

After 8 months ownership My Badlands Sasquatch on 35’s gets about 18mpg around town.
But the 2 road trips had me averaging 13.6 mpg on the highway. One trip was loaded up with two adults and 2 children and luggage. The second trip was 1 adult 1 kid and minimal luggage. Difference was only .4 mpg for the “lighter” trip.
Is this normally what people are seeing?
It’s almost worth selling over.
Mine was about the same until it reached 13,500 miles on it and then, it just started getting 20 on trips

OuterJersey

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota,VW, Lexus, Triumph, Honda MC
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just went to get a screw removed from a tire and I noticed a more harsh ride. I forgot I dropped the tire pressure to 35 psi at one point and the tire place put the pressure in all 4 back to spec. Interesting to see if that will make a difference now.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I love these threads. Buys offroad vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick and large offroad tires.

Complains about MPG.

Genius.

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was gonna do this. I know I can't tune it, but does it help anyway?
The K&N filter series have been my go to for twenty years.. Many posts here list the K&N as one of the top additions.. Also, you might check inside the air intake and make sure something is not stuck in there.. Don’t know how I did it, but my 1999 Super Duty sucked in a plastic bag.
It’s just one of those things. Plenty of clear and clean air greatly improve mileage..

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love these threads. Buys offroad vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick and large offroad tires.

Complains about MPG.

Genius.
Hey man, if you're in the Georgia club, head on over to the page for some details. We're gonna trail ride tomorrow starting at FS 28-1 and meeting at Nimblewill Baptist Church at 9am. Just an easy ride for some newer guys if they actually show.

Be good to have you out.

fpostgate

Big Bend
First Name
Farley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2024
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The K&N filter series have been my go to for twenty years.. Many posts here list the K&N as one of the top additions.. Also, you might check inside the air intake and make sure something is not stuck in there.. Don’t know how I did it, but my 1999 Super Duty sucked in a plastic bag.
It’s just one of those things. Plenty of clear and clean air greatly improve mileage..
I performed some modifications to engine performance on a Civic SI. I changed my connecting rod length (and new pistons) to increase the compression by about 5 to 10%. This required a ECU tune and made significant torque increase by adding the K&N air filter and tuning the A/F with a hondata system. This worked great, but without the tune job, the engine combustion was not worth writing about. I'm just wondering if adding this filter without a tune, if this could actually cause a loss of torque in exchange for some higher velocity power. This vehicle needs torque, not HP, so I am skeptical that more air is better if the ECU doesn't know about it. This is the discussion I am interested in.

-Farley

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I performed some modifications to engine performance on a Civic SI. I changed my connecting rod length (and new pistons) to increase the compression by about 5 to 10%. This required a ECU tune and made significant torque increase by adding the K&N air filter and tuning the A/F with a hondata system. This worked great, but without the tune job, the engine combustion was not worth writing about. I'm just wondering if adding this filter without a tune, if this could actually cause a loss of torque in exchange for some higher velocity power. This vehicle needs torque, not HP, so I am skeptical that more air is better if the ECU doesn't know about it. This is the discussion I am interested in.

-Farley
Hi Farley,
The K&N filter affects nothing other than allowing air to be drawn in easier.. It is the sensors that affect turbo charging and injection are all directed by the “computer”. K&N It’s all about drawing more air easier. Paper filters are the worst.. They were a cheap excuse for filtering air because the oil bath air filters did require maintenance.. Through the century they have taken short cuts to reduce the maintenance necessity. I could go on about what Chrysler did with the late 60s Mopar engines, but the truth was more air you gave those engines they got better MPG, and smoked the tires better.. Just follow the directions to the K&N and it will do you well..
Richard

fpostgate

Big Bend
First Name
Farley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2024
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well if there is no negative, then I would definitely upgrade to the K&N. Thanks for the discussion.
Sponsored