Badlands vs Black Diamond

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am arguing with myself as when I crunched numbers the Badlands optioned with high, Sas, etc. ended up about $4500 more over BD with mid. I have zero use for disconnect and am only thinking of upgrading for the High package...this will drive me nuts
The high package is a good package
Sponsored

Burndog

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, this disconnect conversation, you could go after market later or disconnect them yourself. Yes, it's a PITA, but I know guys in Wranglers that leave them disconnected. I wouldn't advise it in a 2 door, but I hear no complaints from the 4 door folks.
The disconnect will buy you some extra travel, no doubt, but still not anywhere close to a live axle.
Interested in other opinions on the IFS and ability, possible upgrades, but maybe this is fodder for another topic to post.

OP
OP
Broncosandboxers
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Enjoy Ft Fun - hope you like beer! Great city.

As for when mine is getting built...sometime between Christmas and the heat death of the universe.

I'm a Feb res/order so my best guess is May-June. If it's a bit later...eh I'll live. I'm not expecting a lot of the higher mountain trails to be open until late June-early July and my favorite time to camp is mid-week late summer to fall. So as long as I have my as-of-yet-unnamed Badlands by then I'll be fine.

Incidentally if you want a good place to start getting ideas for great trails pick up the Funtreks Guide to Northern Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails. There are so many good trails in Colorado that they split the Funtreks guide into two books. The Northern version is all the trails north of I70 (so where you'll be). The non-northern guide is obviously the trails south of I70.

Since it's a book certainly not 100% up to date but it's a nice guide to have with you (I always prefer reading physical books).

Anyway I think you're making the right choice getting the Badlands. I'm loading it up because I just want the most "capable" offroad (stock) Bronco. A lot of people on here are going to modify the hell out of their rides. That's just not my thing. This is also going to be my daily driver (although not my work car - I'm a pilot and there's pretty much no way with all the summer hailstorms we get I'm parking this outside at the airport for 4+ days at a time). But I want something that's loaded and very comfortable when I go on extended overlanding trips. I'm getting soft in my old age and want to be as comfortable as possible...

And if there's a Bronco meetup and I'm in town I'll 100% be there
Awesome! Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely check out the trail guide, I appreciate it!

And I agree I am not into modifying, just going to add side rails and maybe change out the orange detailing on the inside. I am a Aug 2020 res holder so I have to build mine now and convert to an order to go into production in Dec. I'm switching dealers because the jerk$$ff dealer here in NJ told me after I had signed off on my initial order and visited 2 other times (one the 3rd visit) that they are charging $10k over msrp...I'm like nope. Switching to Town and Country in Alabama that also has TC Customs right next door to set up the rails and anything else I want :)

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021...Nope. 2022...still no. 2023? Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Awesome! Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely check out the trail guide, I appreciate it!

And I agree I am not into modifying, just going to add side rails and maybe change out the orange detailing on the inside. I am a Aug 2020 res holder so I have to build mine now and convert to an order to go into production in Dec. I'm switching dealers because the jerk$$ff dealer here in NJ told me after I had signed off on my initial order and visited 2 other times (one the 3rd visit) that they are charging $10k over msrp...I'm like nope. Switching to Town and Country in Alabama that also has TC Customs right next door to set up the rails and anything else I want :)
sounds like a good plan! I just went with Groove Ford (I25 and Arapaho). I’m far from getting a special deal. MSRP +$599 document fee but not paying some other $600ish fee.

I’m fine with that. I know what I’m going to be paying, they’re 20 minutes from my house, my salesman has been very responsive - and they had no issue putting in writing that I would only pay MSRP plus the document fee. Could I find a deal and get it cheaper elsewhere? Sure.

But time is valuable. My time spent at home with my family is priceless and not worth losing a day or two at home with them for $1000. Also I don’t want to lose any time with my vehicle…and I don’t want to drive 1000+ miles on a new car with some “questionable” quality control. If I break down I want to be within 100 miles of my dealership. I figure after driving it for a bit I’ll be more comfortable going on a long mountain camping trip.

anyway from the sounds of it you’ll have your bronco before I get mine…so I’ll expect trail reports while I sit staring at a picture on build and price haha

OP
OP
Broncosandboxers
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
sounds like a good plan! I just went with Groove Ford (I25 and Arapaho). I’m far from getting a special deal. MSRP +$599 document fee but not paying some other $600ish fee.

I’m fine with that. I know what I’m going to be paying, they’re 20 minutes from my house, my salesman has been very responsive - and they had no issue putting in writing that I would only pay MSRP plus the document fee. Could I find a deal and get it cheaper elsewhere? Sure.

But time is valuable. My time spent at home with my family is priceless and not worth losing a day or two at home with them for $1000. Also I don’t want to lose any time with my vehicle…and I don’t want to drive 1000+ miles on a new car with some “questionable” quality control. If I break down I want to be within 100 miles of my dealership. I figure after driving it for a bit I’ll be more comfortable going on a long mountain camping trip.

anyway from the sounds of it you’ll have your bronco before I get mine…so I’ll expect trail reports while I sit staring at a picture on build and price haha
Yeah I'm just not interested in paying 10k over msrp plus another $2k in sales tax. So wish me luck on the 13th that the dealer switch goes smoothly!

And for sure I'll give updates!! Thanks again for the advice!

Sponsored

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021...Nope. 2022...still no. 2023? Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah I'm just not interested in paying 10k over msrp plus another $2k in sales tax. So wish me luck on the 13th that the dealer switch goes smoothly!

And for sure I'll give updates!! Thanks again for the advice!
Good luck and you’re very welcome!

Looking forward to hearing how everything goes!

I really wanted to like the Wildtrak I ordered but just felt like something was missing. After switching to the Badlands…I have zero doubts.

To say I’m excited for next summer is an understatement :) hopefully you get a chance to enjoy your Bronco sometime this winter!

Racerdad

Badlands
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It looks like you have a lot of good advice on this thread, but I will toss in my two cents anyway. I originally ordered a relatively stripped BB. But then I went to Moab for OffRoadeo. That trip probably cost me $10-$12k in upgrades. Living in the Sierra I will be most concerned about performance in snow. But damn, that sway-bar disconnect was sweet and having both locking front/rear axels and a 12" screen will be nice. I'm re-ordering for '22 with the Badlands 2.3/manual and upgraded wheels - no Sas.

OP
OP
Broncosandboxers
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It looks like you have a lot of good advice on this thread, but I will toss in my two cents anyway. I originally ordered a relatively stripped BB. But then I went to Moab for OffRoadeo. That trip probably cost me $10-$12k in upgrades. Living in the Sierra I will be most concerned about performance in snow. But damn, that sway-bar disconnect was sweet and having both locking front/rear axels and a 12" screen will be nice. I'm re-ordering for '22 with the Badlands 2.3/manual and upgraded wheels - no Sas.
Sounds like what I have planned, thank you for the advice, you actual drove one so have 1st hand experience! When are you ordering? What color?

Racerdad

Badlands
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like what I have planned, thank you for the advice, you actual drove one so have 1st hand experience! When are you ordering? What color?
I ordered the BB in July as a 21. Just emailed my sales rep yesterday with the upgraded '22 Badlands order. Given the startup production learning curve, I was in no hurry to order on day one. As it is, i'm still probably 9-12 months from delivery.

After spending a day in the hills with all of the colors, it was clear to me that the white or cyber orange were the only two colors that pop. I had planned on the cactus gray. I really liked it, but it was very stealth. I decided to go cyber orange to have something similar to my '66.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Okay, I'm coming back to this thread with a challenge for everyone.

Talk me out of a Black Diamond (steelies, mid pkg, 2.7) and into a Badlands.

Show me the enlightened way! Make me a believer!

Thank you for your input.

Sponsored

long_road

Big Bend
First Name
TR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
202? 4dr CG Big Bend 2.3 7MT (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm no help to you. I've been bouncing back and forth between BL and BD for a year and a half. BD has my favorite look - I like the two-tone interior, I like the steelies, I love the matte black grille, etc. It would easily handle 99.99999% of any offroading I'd ever actually use it for. But would I regret not having the "best" one...? And is it worth an extra $7k to go Badlands just to have a bunch of heavier duty stuff on it that I'd never actually use? I honestly don't know... but the clock is ticking. Stephens is going to be calling me to put my order in any time now... Decisions, decisions!

OP
OP
Broncosandboxers
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm no help to you. I've been bouncing back and forth between BL and BD for a year and a half. BD has my favorite look - I like the two-tone interior, I like the steelies, I love the matte black grille, etc. It would easily handle 99.99999% of any offroading I'd ever actually use it for. But would I regret not having the "best" one...? And is it worth an extra $7k to go Badlands just to have a bunch of heavier duty stuff on it that I'd never actually use? I honestly don't know... but the clock is ticking. Stephens is going to be calling me to put my order in any time now... Decisions, decisions!
Exactly....it's nice to have the extra stuff because I don't want to be like I wish I had...I am so torn...but thanks for your feedback :)and

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Race Red Base w/Sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As a Coloradan I figured I’d add my two cents (for whatever that’s worth which is probably even less than a penny).

I grew up in the Denver area and have lived here on and off (but now on for the home stretch…which considering I’m in my mid 40s is hopefully a long time).

I was sort of in the same situation as you (started off with a lower trim then bought into the hype without thinking much and finally and happily settled on a Badsquatch).

There’s a guy above saying you don’t need the Badlands if you’re just starting out. And he’s right - in order to use all the capabilities of that vehicle you’re going to need to be a lot more experienced.

However - just because you don’t have that experience *now* doesn’t mean you’re never going to have it.

A conversation you need to have with yourself basically boils down to: do you like the idea of off-roading or are you really planning on making it an active hobby? I know a guy who went all in on a raptor a couple years ago and went on a moderate off-road trail one time. He hasn’t gone back in the mountains since.

If you think that’s a likely scenario then stick with the BD. It’ll be more than enough for your needs.

But if you, like me, are actually going to spend a lot of time in the mountains going to places that most vehicles can’t reach - if you can afford it absolutely invest in the Badlands. I don’t know anyone who’s said “damn…my truck is too capable for this trail”. It’s (I’m my opinion) always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Again - if you can afford it then absolutely invest in the most capabale off-road Bronco you can get.

Another guy said people who are *really* serious about off-roading will be running on 37”+. He’s also absolutely right.

But like you’ll find with skiers here -there are people who enjoy going to Vail and hitting the black diamond slopes, there are people who ski the back bowls…and then there are hardcore enthusiasts who go heli skiing in their spare time.

So in my opinion the BD is like the skiers on the black diamond, the Badlands is like the bowls, and people in hard tuned off-road vehicles are like the people taking helicopter rides to go ski.

The truth is that very few people are ever going to tackle off-road trails that require 37” - but the Badlands has everything you need to do some real serious off-roading here.

Obviously do what works for you - but again better to have a vehicle you can grow in to.

The mountains here are awesome - you’re going to love it. And you probably know this but in case you don’t - pay very careful attention to trail conditions. A lot of trails up in the mountains can be closed into late June (or later depending…)

Also - welcome to Colorado!
I'm new to this too, so the Badlands is the only trim that has front and rear lockers, correct?
However, if you add the sasquatch package to any trim, even the base, you will then have front and rear lockers?

I'm still trying to sort things out. I originally had BL Sas ordered, but after looking things over, and the state of the economy, I am thinking I might not want to spend that much money. I've been looking over the trims and trying to decide what is really important to me. I really like the high package (cameras) and washout floors, but not sure I can't live without it.

I saw where I can get a 4 door base with sas, bash plates and steel front bumper (no steel rear bumper I guess) for $43k, so it is making me rethink things. Besides not having a sway bar disconnect, any thoughts as to the mechanical limitations of this setup? Would a loaded base be less capable than any other trim with sas? Thanks!

Last edited:

Ddman92129

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Okay, I'm coming back to this thread with a challenge for everyone.

Talk me out of a Black Diamond (steelies, mid pkg, 2.7) and into a Badlands.

Show me the enlightened way! Make me a believer!

Thank you for your input.
If a Sas BL pulls up next to you, are you going to feel regrets? I know I would, so I’m spending a small percentage more for what I truly want

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If a Sas BL pulls up next to you, are you going to feel regrets?
First of all, you don't even need to Sas a Badlands, but no, I won't feel any regrets (I already placed my Black Diamond order). I will feel sorry for the Badlands guy who didn't get the beautiful steelies! ;)
Sponsored

Last edited: