Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The modular front bumper has the recovery hooks on the front, however they do have a sharp edge to them so not ideal for soft shackles.

Once Archetype racing (@EIGHTLUG) releases their front shackle in Carbonized Grey or Black I'll be picking those up and then using my soft shackles for the kinetic strap.

Traction boards can also be a useful resource depending on what kind of wheeling you're planning on. Snow or beach they're especially useful and can be used as a shovel.
At $425 per pair I’ll be buying shackles from somewhere other than Archetype…..
Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking for some basic off road recovery gear. I gather I need a recovery strap (vs a tow strap) and two soft shackles, correct?

Do I need D shackles (or whatever they're called) as well?
Check out "Adventure Built" on YouTube... They do some recovery gear testing. Get the best value for your money 👍🏻

talbot

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BL AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm a complete noob but my kit so far:

ARB recovery boards
Safe Jack Sargent Kit
Gear America Shackels - 2 on the front, 2 extras
Gear America Tree Saver, Tow Strap and Snatch Block
Gloves, small tools, ratchet straps
Folding Shovel, Hatchet
ARB portable compressor
ETA - fire extinguisher

future additions:
Line dampener
Winch - powered or manual

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am cheap or is it smart? so will use farm store shackles.
They are strong but have zero special beauty and will not color coordinate with anything on the Bronco.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@JediMcMuffin my apologies. Now that I'm more informed, you'll spend 140 for a decent strap and shackles.

Sponsored

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I recently did a bunch of research into this myself.

The popular choice these days for recovery is a kinetic rope instead of a strap. They stretch more than a strap which is important to absorb the shock. Unfortunately, they are expensive but thanks to a video review someone did, I discovered this very affordable but good quality import…

Offroading Gear 20'x7/8" Kinetic Recovery & Tow Rope (28,600 lbs) | Elastic Snatch Strap | Heavy Duty Loops | Truck/ATV/Jeep
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N1GVR2/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_a_3ECDN7MR5DF30M0XQJ1A

Here’s the video…

As he mentions in the video, almost any half decent Chinese soft shackle will do the job, so don’t waste money on those.

A high lift jack can be helpful in a number of situations to get something under a tire if you’re hung up, to change a tire, and even to use as a hand winch. But the usefulness of this really depends on what bumpers you have and or sliders.

A good recovery point on the rear can be helpful… like a receiver mount shackle.

In addition to that for snow or sand, a shovel, traction boards and possibly tire chains, although the best strategy is to air down and avoid getting stuck in the first place, so a deflator and compressor to air up are important.

Finally, if you’re getting a winch, a recovery pulley (and tree saver) are important pieces of kit for doubling your pull capacity.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am cheap or is it smart? so will use farm store shackles.
They are strong but have zero special beauty and will not color coordinate with anything on the Bronco.
I’d say that’s pragmatic. You don’t have to leave them on the mounts so no one has to look at them except for when you want to use them. Or mount ‘em up and show off your indifference to fashion and focus on functionality. Or rattle-can paint them black. It’s all good!

Vantcrst

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Ford F-150, Mercedes 4x4 Sprinter Van,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you or anyone else here are looking for traction boards and want something that works and is easier to store then these are great. Best thing about them is that they fold up and can also be used as leveling blocks if you have a more door or rooftop tent that you plan on sleeping in. They are super tough I have used mine with my 4x4 van many times. There are some utube videos of people testing them as well.

GoTreads - Foldable tire traction mats to get out of mud, snow, or sand.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My kit (so far):
30' Bubba Rope Renegade
Bubba Rope Black Ops tow strap
Bubba Rope Tree Hugger tree strap
Bubba Rope Gator Jaw (x2)
Gear America Uber shackles
Gear America Hitch mount with Uber shackle
JT Brooks Tire Deflator Pro
ARB winch damper
Army surplus entrenching tool
Element fire extinguisher
tire pressure gauge
battery jump starter
GoTreads XL

I think that's it?

If you or anyone else here are looking for traction boards and want something that works and is easier to store then these are great. Best thing about them is that they fold up and can also be used as leveling blocks if you have a more door or rooftop tent that you plan on sleeping in. They are super tough I have used mine with my 4x4 van many times. There are some utube videos of people testing them as well.

GoTreads - Foldable tire traction mats to get out of mud, snow, or sand.
I got the XL version. Haven't had to use them yet. 🤞

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The modular front bumper has the recovery hooks on the front, however they do have a sharp edge to them so not ideal for soft shackles.

Once Archetype racing (@EIGHTLUG) releases their front shackle in Carbonized Grey or Black I'll be picking those up and then using my soft shackles for the kinetic strap.

Traction boards can also be a useful resource depending on what kind of wheeling you're planning on. Snow or beach they're especially useful and can be used as a shovel.
The mod bumper will be fine with soft shackles.

Ford Bronco Basic Recovery Gear? D2FA10E0-EC4C-47C6-B045-E5114EB91F19

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

good thread, as I'm also making a list of what to buy.

Soft shackles should work just fine in the front, there is a bit of a sharp seam in the middle of the hook, not sure if that would cause damage, I think they also make some protective sleeves for soft shackles. In the end, I doubt it'll cut through one if you use it, and they are cheap enough to replace if you really did some major pulling on them.

High Lift does not seem to work well with the Bronco from what I read here and elsewhere, really no points to 'attach' it to unless you buy some accessories. That and the fact that they are rather dangerous has me thinking a bottle jack and a hand winch make more sense, not sure yet.

Don't forget a good work light of some sort, I'd look at things with magnets and maybe a flexible neck instead of just a flash light (which should always be in any car anyway) in case you have to light up some odd area.

What folding shovels to people like? There are some 'survival' ones with saw and axe and tools and compass and who knows what in them, they don't seem to be good at any of the jobs they're made for. I think a folding saw, a small axe and a folding shovel are a better combination.

Also, if going alone, a radio and a satellite communication device should be essential, I have the radio, undecided yet on which small satellite unit to get, preferably from some outfit where I can pay as I go, sign up for a week or month and then let it lapse for the time I'm not on some trail, which is most of the time.

If somebody comes up with a hidden winch solution that doesn't look like something out of a transformers or lego movie I'll look at them again, for now a hand winch / come along should be plenty to get me unstuck. I don't plan on any trails that require a winch to get up/over. Not with my daily driver.

Also don't forget good gloves, two pairs in case one gets wet/damaged. And some kind of fire starter.

section525

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
good thread, as I'm also making a list of what to buy.

Also, if going alone, a radio and a satellite communication device should be essential, I have the radio, undecided yet on which small satellite unit to get, preferably from some outfit where I can pay as I go, sign up for a week or month and then let it lapse for the time I'm not on some trail, which is most of the time.
Great point! I have the Garmin InReach and it has changed the way I explore in the woods. Definitely worth the cost for the peace of mind for both GPS and emergency comms.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great point! I have the Garmin InReach and it has changed the way I explore in the woods. Definitely worth the cost for the peace of mind for both GPS and emergency comms.
most likely what I'll be getting. There's a new company that makes a thing with the same functionality, just no display, connects to your phone (can't remember the name off hand) but I don't like all this "in my phone" stuff, plus extra redundancy in case my phone dies or gets lost. Want something with a display with topo map etc. just in case. Only turn it on when needed, so battery will last a long time, compared to anything tied into an app on the phone. Might have to hike out sometime, so charging the phone won't work (unless you bring some solar charger, which I might also add).

edit to add: a small notepad and working pen, in case you do hike out/away you can leave a note on the truck etc. plus it's always handy to have.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed one of the Ford Accessory Cargo Security Drawers (click here to view my review/install of it), and one of the reasons for opting for this was to securely store my recovery gear (as well as other stuff).

In mine, I have:

• First aid kit. I realized my old one I had for a long time, so I got rid of that and bought a whole new one. I assumed a bunch of stuff in the old one was very expired.
  • Rain poncho
  • Fire extinguisher (one of those ones that looks like a flare... can't think of the name of it and I'm too lazy to look)
  • Smittybilt folding shovel
  • Florescent coloured work gloves
  • Recovery rope
  • Tarp
  • Air compressor
  • Tie down straps
  • A couple of "UFO" Smittybilt emergency lights (they're essentially road flares that take a battery, have various light flashing patterns, are magnetic, rubberized, etc. - Very handy and can be seen from miles/kilometres away!)
  • Booster cables
  • Adjustable wrench
  • Backroads map book
  • Flashlight
There's probably more in there, but this is most of it.

And for the record - I don’t keep my cordless vacuum in my vehicle anymore, so calm down :ROFLMAO:

Ford Bronco Basic Recovery Gear? 1642740078044

Last edited:

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The mod bumper will be fine with soft shackles.

Ford Bronco Basic Recovery Gear? 1642740078044
Someone earlier in the thread alerted me to that as well. Idk how I missed it. I just saw the top hole and thought the edges were to sharp and stopped there.
Sponsored