Sponsored

Best 35" Street Tire: But MT Look, terraincontact?

R8RWD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Edit: turns out the tires were way out of balance. After two tire balances at the dealer, I knew something wasn't right. So I had a dedicated tire guy do a proper balance (same guys who do my sports cars). After a few highway drives, the drive is totaly different. Next step is to get my $$$ back from the dealer for wasting my time on 2 bad tire balances!

Hi all, I'm looking for a compromise that keeps the 35" off road look of the Bronco SAS but with a more composed tire for on road driving.

I came across these Conti, but I"m not sure how they will look in a 35" on SAS wheels. I see many posts on 285, but not 315. i've done countless searches for this topic, but no luck so figured I'd start a post.

https://continentaltire.com/tires/terraincontact-at
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Hi all, yeah flame suit on - I love the look of the 35's SAS. However the family complains about the truck ride on road trips. So I'm looking for a compromise that keeps the 35" off road look of the Bronco SAS but with a more composed tire for on road driving.

I came across these Conti, but I"m not sure how they will look in a 35" on SAS wheels. I see many posts on 285, but not 315. i've done countless searches for this topic, but no luck so figured I'd start a post.

https://continentaltire.com/tires/terraincontact-at
Have you checked your tire pressure?

I would consider a C Rated 35” KO2 while they are onclearance.

Also E Rated Continentals will probably ride harder as they have a stiffer sidewall.

CatMonkey

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2012 Shelby GT500, 2021 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Are you saying the Goodyear M/T has a harsh ride? If you are, try riding in a Bronco with Hoss 3.0. It's not the tires. Like mentioned, tire pressure could help. Try 35 psi all around. I'm still running 41 psi and with the Hoss 3.0, it's a very smooth, comfortable ride.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well......

So the problem is what you are asking is basically what the Goodyear Territory tires were designed to be. They are a tire designed for manufacturers that has the MT look but still gets decent fuel economy and is relatively quiet/smooth on the road for an off-road tire. If you read Goodyear's marketing materials, they are not actually Mud Terrain tires... Goodyear themselves claims "MT" stands for "Maximum Traction", not Mud Terrain. Those tires are actually much more similar to All-Terrain tires than they are to Mud-Terrain tires.

Ford Bronco Best 35" Street Tire: But MT Look, terraincontact? 1687100907457

SO... you'll probably be looking at other All-Terrain tires.

The quietest/smoothest All-Terrain tire I've personally used is probably the Cooper Discoverer AT3, but that may not be aggressive enough looking for your liking, and I don't know if they come in 315/70r17.

My favorite All-Terrain tire is the BFG KO2, which is the standard tire on the Badlands and Raptor trim. It's a little quieter than the Goodyear Territory tires, but my hunch is your family won't really notice a difference in ride quality or noise level.

The Nitto Recon Grappler is another solid choice. It's a quieter All-Terrain and absolutely keeps the aggressive look. Nitto Terra Grappler (the old Terra Grappler, not the G2) is also fairly quiet for an All-Terrain tire, although the ride quality isn't quite as good as the Recon Grappler.

And as @Dads_bronze_bronco (and others) have mentioned, also check your tire pressure. If you lower the tire pressure the ride will become smoother, but the noise will also increase (slightly) and the fuel economy will suffer a bit.

---

Either way, keep in mind the Bronco is an off-road SUV designed to go off-pavement. So if the family is expecting a smooth/quiet ride like what you'd expect on other modern body-on-frame SUVs, the Bronco is very much not that.

My parents have the Ford Explorer Timberline, which is Explorer's off-road oriented trim. And it is MUCH quieter and smoother on the road compared to my non-Sas Bronco.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Aliass24

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m running the nitto recon 315/70/17 SL version at 34psi on my sas and not only are they more comfy and smoother than the MT’s they definitely don’t pick up the rocks near as bad.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Are you saying the Goodyear M/T has a harsh ride? If you are, try riding in a Bronco with Hoss 3.0. It's not the tires. Like mentioned, tire pressure could help. Try 35 psi all around. I'm still running 41 psi and with the Hoss 3.0, it's a very smooth, comfortable ride.
Catmonkey - same here. My 23 wildtrak rides great. My rubicon is punishing by comparison.

Reactions: Cat

Bronccraig

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Challenger RT Hemi Orange
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Love the SAS look 35s too…

ScLeCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you budget allows. I like having two sets of wheels and tires. One for on road and one off road. This allows me to have a very aggressive of road tire and a very street friendly on road set up.

Sponsored

7sKnuckledragger

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 1978 K5, 2007.5 Ram 2500, 2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Not trying to roast you OP but this is my pet peeve with the Bronco, Jeeps or even trucks.
what kind of ride are you guys expecting?
“I spent sooooo much money it should ride like like my Lexus”
It’s a body on frame SUV with a live rear end and IFS on 35’s and suspension tuned for on and off-road use. Going down the road it’s a brick on big tires. It’s never going to ride “nice”
It rides “acceptable” for what it is and just enjoy it.
that is why there is a jeep wave because jeep people accept they bought a suv that rides like crap but goes anywhere so they do the “embrace the suck” wave to acknowledge another fool.
want a nice ride go buy an X5
Or buy some 35” KO’s
Drop em to 25-28 psi and ignore the TPS and fuel mileage.
good luck

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't think your going to find a softer side wall tire than the factory Sas tires. You will need to go down to smaller tires to get another option.

I really like 275 60 R20 I had on my Ram 1500, they spec out to a 33" tire and come in a bunch of options. I was tempted to buy 20s for my F150 as I liked the tires for road duty.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Tell the fam it’s a body on frame off road vehicle and that’s how it rides. Tires might help some, but it’s still an off road vehicle. Or buy a Tahoe and take the fam in comfort.

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Stock Sas tires are great for highway driving. If you don't like the ride it's going to be the suspension.

I've said this time and time again and people always laugh but I don't mean it as a joke or a diss. The Bronco is a truck meant for heavy offroading, not a plush cruiser. Maybe you should consider switching to a Bronco Sport if you find it too rough. The springs are meant for heavy hits, so that means it's going to ride rougher. The Sport is more of the family-friendly SUV and you'll find the ride much more comfortable.

Alternatively you can change out your suspension to something more plush, but now you're talking several grand just for that. But it sounds like it might be worth it to fit the family needs.

Also if you're looking for a smooth riding tire, the Conti tires are NOT for you. They are the loudest freaking tires I've ever owned but damn do they stick to the road like glue.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nitto Ridge Grappler hybrid tread had them for a year On my Bronco 35’s is what I am running
Sponsored