First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since my original build didn't allow for the sound deadening option initially, I had my mind set on purchasing an aftermarket HotHeads kit instead. For one, it seems much more substantial, and the reviews on their Jeep products are glowingly positive. Also, being in Arizona, the thickness of the HotHeads' product will aid in minimizing the transfer of heat from the roof to the cabin of my Bronco.

That said, now that Ford is offering FREE sound deadening on all MIC tops (with the caveat that Black Diamond reservation holders need to contact their dealer and have them add it to their builds free of charge), I'm at a crossroads: Do I just take the free version from Ford and not look back? Or do I stay the course, get my MIC top without the pre-installed thin liner and go with a HotHeads eventually? I imagine installing a HH on top of the Ford deadening is a no-go, as the weight of the HH could potentially begin to pull on the Ford headliner, causing it to sag (especially out here with the AZ heat potentially softening up the adhesive)

Are any other Black Diamond owners have the same trepidations?
(I've attached a pic of Ford's deadener versus a HotHeads Jeep deadener to showcase the differences in quality, fit, and coverage)

Ford Bronco Black Diamond Sound Deadening Dilemma HH

Ford Bronco Black Diamond Sound Deadening Dilemma bronco-sound-deadening-headliner-top7
Sponsored

Brokennose

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scout
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think Ford is going to be installing the liner on every top regardless.

OP
OP
FishKzor

FishKzor

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think Ford is going to be installing the liner on every top regardless.
They're installing on all MIC Tops for Broncos that *don't* have the Marine Grade Vinyl.
Customers that DO have MGV need to contact their dealer to add the free deadener if they want it.

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Since my original build didn't allow for the sound deadening option initially, I had my mind set on purchasing an aftermarket HotHeads kit instead. For one, it seems much more substantial, and the reviews on their Jeep products are glowingly positive. Also, being in Arizona, the thickness of the HotHeads' product will aid in minimizing the transfer of heat from the roof to the cabin of my Bronco.

That said, now that Ford is offering FREE sound deadening on all MIC tops (with the caveat that Black Diamond reservation holders need to contact their dealer and have them add it to their builds free of charge), I'm at a crossroads: Do I just take the free version from Ford and not look back? Or do I stay the course, get my MIC top without the pre-installed thin liner and go with a HotHeads eventually? I imagine installing a HH on top of the Ford deadening is a no-go, as the weight of the HH could potentially begin to pull on the Ford headliner, causing it to sag (especially out here with the AZ heat potentially softening up the adhesive)

Are any other Black Diamond owners have the same trepidations?
(I've attached a pic of Ford's deadener versus a HotHeads Jeep deadener to showcase the differences in quality, fit, and coverage)

Ford Bronco Black Diamond Sound Deadening Dilemma bronco-sound-deadening-headliner-top7

Ford has only stated Broncoā€™s version is only for sound deadening. Nothing about heat transfer, so I donā€™t think itā€™s apples to apples here.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why not try the OEM product first. If it doesnā€™t meet your needs, replace it with the Hotheads.

Sponsored

Monho

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm going with the Ford headliner first and I'm going to see how much heat is really coming through the top. If it's unbearable, I won't have a problem tearing it out and putting the hothead headliner in. At the end of the day someone at ford felt that their headliner was worth $500 at one point, so TAKE IT!

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford has only stated Broncoā€™s version is only for sound deadening. Nothing about heat transfer, so I donā€™t think itā€™s apples to apples here.
While you can optimize a system for one or the other - thereā€™s considerable overlap in sound deadening and insulation. It is pretty much just foam and adhesive.

Sponsored

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So I reserved a BD as well, but my dealer said he hadnt heard anything about any free sound deadening headliner. Has anyone else had a different experience with their dealership?

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
While you can optimize a system for one or the other - thereā€™s considerable overlap in sound deadening and insulation. It is pretty much just foam and adhesive.
Right but I thought hotheads had a reflective heat barrier as part of the material. Is that not the case?

JMBGlass

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Toyota Tacoma/C.O. Badlands 2.7 4Dr hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So with a 2.7 4dr BL with MGV on order, will Ford now allow their WBDO system to let this sound deadening be added since it wasn't allowed for my combo before?