Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have had cloth and MGV, both have plus and minuses. Cloth is breathable and actually nicer on bare skin. MGV is super easy to clean and more swamp butt. With the dogs, MGV is hands down better. Muddy dog was a serious issue with the cloth seats and the dog slobber on the front seats took carpet cleaner to get out. Long as you cleaned the cloth seats immediately nothing stuck to them, if it dried on it was like any other cloth.

Wash out floors are the a game changer. If you like husky/weather tech floor liners just imagine not carrying if you spill anything.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BigDaddySquatch

BigDaddySquatch

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have had cloth and MGV, both have plus and minuses. Cloth is breathable and actually nicer on bare skin. MGV is super easy to clean and more swamp butt. With the dogs, MGV is hands down better. Muddy dog was a serious issue with the cloth seats and the dog slobber on the front seats took carpet cleaner to get out. Long as you cleaned the cloth seats immediately nothing stuck to them, if it dried on it was like any other cloth.

Wash out floors are the a game changer. If you like husky/weather tech floor liners just imagine not carrying if you spill anything.
Thanks for giving me the perspectives on both. Very helpful!

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What I realized at the Bronco Off Roadeo was that without front and rear lockers, capability is greatly reduced. There were multiple situations where lockers were required, even in simple mud/rock situations. Locking the diffs allowed for getting out vs getting stuck.

I would not get a Bronco without lockers, unless you just want a pretty vehicle.
I would not get a Bronco without rear lockers, unless you just want a pretty vehicle.

fixed that statement.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would not get a Bronco without rear lockers, unless you just want a pretty vehicle.

fixed that statement.
Locker is nice but really the upsell is skid plates and steel bumpers. I needed full skids way before I was traction impaired. I also managed to rub front and rear bumpers enough to damage them.

i-5zLd9gw-X2.jpg

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Here is how it all kind of breaks down to me as far as value for the money goes:

1) Actually going to offroad it and don't care about extra creature comforts: Basesquatch

2) Not going to offroad that much and want a manual/4 door/tow option/rear locker option - Big Bend

3) Not going to offroad it that much and want extra creature comforts - Outer Banks

4) Going to offroad it AND want creature comforts - Standard Badlands

To me the Black Diamond doesn't really make sense with SAS because why wouldn't you just get the standard Badlands which is going to be pretty much just as capable for about the same price, or get the base squatch which is gonna save considerable coin?

Sponsored

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wide tires and lockers are a false sense of security for snow. Going to be interesting when people realize SAS package is a down grade for rain/ice/snow on pavement. Spent some time in Iowa and your dry powder snow is very different from wet west coast snow. Neither are better handled by wider tires and traction aids.

I passed on the SAS package because I wanted to replace most of what comes with it. Once the aftermarket catches up, I will be self SAS with upgraded parts.
Yes agreed. My two xterras gas 235 85 R16s and it tore up the snow with open diffs.

I wrnt with the black diamond because I liked the idea of an easy maintenance Interior, and I won't be using it for deep mud or rock crawling so the front locker and 35s are really just too much for me.

One day I may get 255 80R17 33s but I bet that black diamond takeoffs will be easy to find off those who upgraded to 33s/35s right away. Will be tempting to just buy a new set and sell my original ones and keep on rolling. For my uses the general grabbers are perfect.

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I love the look of the steelies on my OBX.

Ford Bronco Black Diamond vs. Base i-5zLd9gw-X2

much better than the stock OBX rims.

Ford Bronco Black Diamond vs. Base i-5zLd9gw-X2

Best part was getting all 5 rims and tires for $600!
It does look a lot better.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I ordered a base black diamond because I wanted Cyber Orange, but if I could do it over I would have ordered a base sasquatch instead for the same price

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What I realized at the Bronco Off Roadeo was that without front and rear lockers, capability is greatly reduced. There were multiple situations where lockers were required, even in simple mud/rock situations. Locking the diffs allowed for getting out vs getting stuck.

I would not get a Bronco without lockers, unless you just want a pretty vehicle.
Interesting. At the Utah one it seemed to be the opposite. The guy was getting us to try everything without using the "hero switches". He said everything could be done with driving skill and setting up the right lines beforehand. All the Broncos in the off-rodeo had Squatch and I asked him if non-sas Broncos could do the same trail we were doing. He said "base-base can do all this". I was impressed.

st3v

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Interesting. At the Utah one it seemed to be the opposite. The guy was getting us to try everything without using the "hero switches". He said everything could be done with driving skill and setting up the right lines beforehand. All the Broncos in the off-rodeo had Squatch and I asked him if non-sas Broncos could do the same trail we were doing. He said "base-base can do all this". I was impressed.
Not sure about the terrain at the Utah Off Roadeo, but I went to the one in New Hampshire. They did say that skill and a base-base Bronco would still work. That day I went, it was slightly muddy in some areas, and some rocks were slick. I needed both front and rear lockers on to get up one muddy and rocky hill after everyone tore it up (I was at the end of the line). In the beginning there were some scenarios shown where you would just get stuck without a locker. Of course if you prep a scenario perfectly you can make it work without lockers. But what about if you get stuck somewhere? I'd rather have the peace of mind with the front and rear lockers.

Super glad I ordered a base bronco w/Sasquatch (that includes front/rear lockers and Mud-Terrain tires) after that experience.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I live in southern FL and can tell you the MGV is one of the reason I got the BD. Everyone complaining about it must just be a hot bodied person. In the summer it literally doesn’t get any closer to what hell is like I imagine with the heat and humidity. No one who has rode with me has complained, even with the top down and doors off. The full underbody skid plate is another thing that makes the BD stand out. Couldn’t be happier with my decision.

F5716E4F-D53F-4A0A-8931-7678AD89C109.jpeg

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not sure about the terrain at the Utah Off Roadeo, but I went to the one in New Hampshire. They did say that skill and a base-base Bronco would still work. That day I went, it was slightly muddy in some areas, and some rocks were slick. I needed both front and rear lockers on to get up one muddy and rocky hill after everyone tore it up (I was at the end of the line). In the beginning there were some scenarios shown where you would just get stuck without a locker. Of course if you prep a scenario perfectly you can make it work without lockers. But what about if you get stuck somewhere? I'd rather have the peace of mind with the front and rear lockers.

Super glad I ordered a base bronco w/Sasquatch (that includes front/rear lockers and Mud-Terrain tires) after that experience.
Similar situation in NH. Hit a muddy spot, headed straight for a tree. Was not turning away, engaged the front locker and it turned on a dime and left me 9 cents change...

porkchop express

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 camaro ss 1le, 2017 focus st, 2020 ram
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I live in southern FL and can tell you the MGV is one of the reason I got the BD. Everyone complaining about it must just be a hot bodied person. In the summer it literally doesn’t get any closer to what hell is like I imagine with the heat and humidity. No one who has rode with me has complained, even with the top down and doors off. The full underbody skid plate is another thing that makes the BD stand out. Couldn’t be happier with my decision.

Ford Bronco Black Diamond vs. Base F5716E4F-D53F-4A0A-8931-7678AD89C109
Wow. Look at that water. My folks have a condo in Venice. Luckily, they had only had a little damage.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm just not a huge fan of the "old school" steelie look. To each their own though.
You are mad, mad I say. The black steelies are the best. Folks are hawking a set of BD Take-offs on CL and FB for $1000-1200. The alloys from a BB or OBX can barely get $500.

As soon as I wear out the minivan tires on my Base, I'll buy the first set of BD take offs I can get under $1000.
Sponsored