First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That was one of the easiest oil changes I’ve done in a long time. 4 bolts on the skid plates, top filter is a game changer and was nice to easily be able to see in your filter to see what you have running through it without cutting a filter open. Break in oil change is definitely needed in my opinion after seeing the amount of metal flakes in the filter. It is doing its job but there was a decent amount of metal in it. Motor craft filter and Mobil 1 Full synthetic and it is ready for the next 5,000. How many are sticking with motor craft vs others “superior” filter brands like K&N, Mobil 1, etc? I stuck with motor craft this time because I figured they designed the engine and know what it needs but curious what others think.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Not sticking with Motorcraft filters--FRAM Endurance has the highest efficiency and quality of construction for the money.

Also not sticking with Motorcraft oil. My first oil change was at 1000 miles and Motorcraft 5W-30 was already out of viscosity grade. The minimum viscosity for a 5W-30 is 9.3 @ 100°C and the Motorcraft was at 8.9 @ 100°C.

I am currently trending to see how other oils fare, but no way would I run Motorcraft for 5K miles as it would be a very thin xW-20 and the turbochargers would not like that long term.

OP
OP
BulletTheBronco

BulletTheBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not sticking with Motorcraft filters--FRAM Endurance has the highest efficiency and quality of construction for the money.

Also not sticking with Motorcraft oil. My first oil change was at 1000 miles and Motorcraft 5W-30 was already out of viscosity grade. The minimum viscosity for a 5W-30 is 9.3 @ 100°C and the Motorcraft was at 8.9 @ 100°C.

I am currently trending to see how other oils fare, but no way would I run Motorcraft for 5K miles as it would be a very thin xW-20 and the turbochargers would not like that long term.
No one mentioned motor craft oil. Just speaking to the filter. I run Mobil 1 full synthetic in everything I own and have owned.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BulletTheBronco

BulletTheBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No reason to use Motor Craft oil as several common brands have the required API Certification Mark
Just speaking to the motor craft filter not oil. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic in everything I have.

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
First change was at 1400mi and I went with Mobil 1 full syn/Motorcraft filter. My filter didn’t have any metal shavings though. I saved it in a ziplock bag (for now) just in case of any engine issues later, (likely overkill, but after my GT350 Voodoo engine - some early engines had oil pump issues evidenced by metal shavings in filter), got in the habit.

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
That was one of the easiest oil changes I’ve done in a long time. 4 bolts on the skid plates, top filter is a game changer and was nice to easily be able to see in your filter to see what you have running through it without cutting a filter open. Break in oil change is definitely needed in my opinion after seeing the amount of metal flakes in the filter. It is doing its job but there was a decent amount of metal in it. Motor craft filter and Mobil 1 Full synthetic and it is ready for the next 5,000. How many are sticking with motor craft vs others “superior” filter brands like K&N, Mobil 1, etc? I stuck with motor craft this time because I figured they designed the engine and know what it needs but curious what others think.
I also had quite a bit of metal and miscellaneous debris in my first filter. I changed at ~4100 miles when the oil life was at 1% due to the high factory fill volume and visual condition of the oil. I also had fuel contamination common in the ecoboost engines, if allowed to excessively idle. I could smell the fuel and some spilled oil cleaned up too easily and the spill spot evaporated. I used the Ford factory filter and Ford synthetic blend oil filled to 6qt. Here’s some interesting information on the filter options:

https://www.svtperformance.com/thre...ewed-3-0l-2-7l-nano-ecoboost-engines.1210532/

You may have had fuel contamination lowering the viscosity. It’s a thing on ecoboost engines allowed to excessively idle.

First change was at 1400mi and I went with Mobil 1 full syn/Motorcraft filter. My filter didn’t have any metal shavings though. I saved it in a ziplock bag (for now) just in case of any engine issues later, (likely overkill, but after my GT350 Voodoo engine - some early engines had oil pump issues evidenced by metal shavings in filter), got in the habit.
No metal shavings at all? Even deep deep down in the pleats? 🤔

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No metal shavings at all? Even deep deep down in the pleats? 🤔
[/QUOTE]

None I could see visually certainly nothing compared to the voodoo engines that were having oil pump issues…

Reactions: 0ne

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No one mentioned motor craft oil. Just speaking to the filter. I run Mobil 1 full synthetic in everything I own and have owned.
I know, just sharing data (not opinion). Fuel dilution appears to be an issue with the 2.7L and unless it changes as I stack on a few miles, long oil change intervals are not going to be possible.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You may have had fuel contamination lowering the viscosity. It’s a thing on ecoboost engines allowed to excessively idle.
Fuel dilution appears to be a thing on Ecoboost engines period. The first 1,000 miles were from Dallas to Colorado Springs (flew to Dallas to buy it) and there was no idling. Open road is where the least dilution should happen, yet I had 2.5% (which is too much) on the first 1,000 mile oil change and 2.4% (also too much) on the second 1,000 mile oil change. The lab I use (Polaris) uses gas chromatography to determine fuel content so it is accurate (other labs such as Blackstone do not so the fuel concentration is not accurate).

Motorcraft oil did not stay in grade, the Mobil did on the second run, but it is M1 ESP 0W-30 so it begins with a much higher thickness than other M1 oils AND this is only a 1,000-mile run. I would opine that it would be out of grade on a 5K OCI. Just completed a 3,000-mile road trip so I'll see how it did. Unless I have the unicorn of 2.7L engines, one thing is for sure--forget about long oil change intervals in it.

Ford Bronco Break-in oil change 2.7 2023-11-08 19_00_28-2023 Ford Bronco - Google Sheets and 15 more pages - Personal - Microsoft​

Last edited:

hotrodtim

Wildtrak
First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EXPEDITION,2009 F150,2003 LINCOLN AVIATOR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
First oil change at 500 miles; Amsoil Signature and Amsoil filter. Also in our 3.5 t turbo Expedition; mainly for longevity with cam phasers and cold starts. :cool:

bravely

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
3490 s leonard rd, new palestine in 46163
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've always used Purolator or Wix filters...for the bronco, Purolator. There are a lot of oil filter reviews available.

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Valvoline Motor Oil. After spending 16 years working for them, I definitely trust the quality. Motorcraft filters, or even STP extended. Seems like Motorcraft does the job.
Sponsored