First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In my experience, admittedly limited to diesel engine tests, rings are fully seated in a couple hundred thousand revolutions. Call it 80 miles in a manual and 120 in an automatic. I personally like to subject it to medium high loads both in power application and in compression braking to flex the rings during the mating process. Probably doesn't make that much difference as to how you choose to run the engine in. What does matter are the brakes and the clutch (should you be so equipped). Both need to be bedded in to get maximum life from them. My suggestion is to go read up on manufacturers suggested break in procedures for those two items and incorporate them into your first 500 miles or so. Factory installed stuff may be different than the replacement stuff, but I would think they need similar bedding in processes.
Sponsored

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just drive mine like I do, gave her an Italian tune up or two and no issues with the 7m or engine

long_road

Big Bend
First Name
TR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
202? 4dr CG Big Bend 2.3 7MT (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Useless anecdotal experience: break-in matters, gotta seat those rings. In every new car I've ever owned, I've immediately goosed it, repeatedly redlined it, and blipshifted it from mile 1 on to infinity. Never had any issues.

Dayv

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been reading a lot of people on this forum talk about a "break in period" for the new Bronco. Is this really something Ford is saying is needed or just a holdover from old car guys from days gone by? I have bought probably 10 new cars over the last 20 years (everything from a hatchback Chevy to an Audi) and have never been told that any of them needed a "break in period". I actually had to look it up and found a Consumer Reports article on how it is no longer necessary or recommended for newer vehicles.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the topic.
The manual says 1000 mile break in. No towing, no excessive acceleration, no excessive speed - per the manual for what is worth.

Efudd

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's good to let the brake seat a bit, as you would also do after a brake job. Otherwise, your engine doesn't really break-in, it just breaks-down.

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I try to avoid full throttle acceleration for the first thousand miles and I try to run the engine through most of the RPM range during the first 200. I‘ll manually downshift and run it up to 5000+ RPM then let it naturally decelerate back to a normal RPM a few times on each trip when it’s warmed up.

I do need to decide when to install the UPR catch can, probably ASAP.

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Manual simply sayes to be gentle the first 1000 miles.

My engine seemed to have more top end power after putting a couple thousand miles. Not sure if it's just the placebo effect, or if Ford detunes them during the break in period.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Manual simply sayes to be gentle the first 1000 miles.

My engine seemed to have more top end power after putting a couple thousand miles. Not sure if it's just the placebo effect, or if Ford detunes them during the break in period.
My brother’s F-150 seemed to really open up after 10k miles.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The manual says 1000 mile break in. No towing, no excessive acceleration, no excessive speed - per the manual for what is worth.
Yes sir, David page 297 in the manual, "Breaking-In". I've seen so many questions answered here, and on other forums telling folks who ask questions like this to "read the owners manual". Now, it's up to an owner as to whether they want to follow the OM, but I figure Ford and other manufacturers put a lot of time and money to know whats best for a brand new vehicle. So, I've followed the OM's directions on breaking in a vehicle for years, and everything has worked out just fine.

Sponsored

Saddle Tramp

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F350, 2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been reading a lot of people on this forum talk about a "break in period" for the new Bronco. Is this really something Ford is saying is needed or just a holdover from old car guys from days gone by? I have bought probably 10 new cars over the last 20 years (everything from a hatchback Chevy to an Audi) and have never been told that any of them needed a "break in period". I actually had to look it up and found a Consumer Reports article on how it is no longer necessary or recommended for newer vehicles.

Drag racing legend, driver & mechanic, father of the 427 chev engine. Dick Herrell, “Mr Chevrolet”, said break them in like you’re going to drive them.

stbanning

Badlands
First Name
sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 platinum, mazdaspeed miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

New Rings really don't need to be set like the old ones did. Engineering has come a long way.

Back in the day to set rings you would just put it under a load, (Drop down a gear on a hill and give a little extra gas and make the motor lug) Then I would do a Compression test and test leak down to check.

Every Engine I have built or bought built. I drove it or was told drive it like I stole it by builder.

Last engine I bought was a Dart Block 363 capable of 1400hp.

Engine builder build an engine then dyno test them a max RPM all the time.

Engine builders and Car companies add extra zinc in oil for this reason.

I'm not saying it's wrong book says it do it. But why it's in the book is lawyers wanted it in the book.

Marsalad

Heritage
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
It's good to let the brake seat a bit, as you would also do after a brake job. Otherwise, your engine doesn't really break-in, it just breaks-down.

I see what you did there. I’m glad I wasn’t the only one that noticed.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Just give it the famous "Italian Tune-Up" the moment you take the keys and see how she chooches!

Report back with your findings, it's not like there is any friction or moving components on a modern engine, they probably all fit together like magic and work perfectly forever.

Breakin is no longer needed.
I was also told that you can jump different octanes at will so who knows anymore. !
Modern cars use a MEMS sensor in conjunction with a phononic crystal sensor in the tank which will do quite a bit to adjust the parameters the engine runs in based on the fuel in the tank.

info on MEMS sensor: https://www.mouser.com/blog/mems-sensors-monitor-fuel-performance

Basic info on RON sensor: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...bronco-2-3l-and-2-7l.16405/page-4#post-594746

I know, I know, TLDR... But if you feel like learning WHY you can run different octanes, or blend them together, and not have any issues with it, it's worth a read.

Note: this is not to say a specific RON is better/best or must be used. That's a different topic!
Sponsored