Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Heritage Edition
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I'm flying from Birmingham to St Louis and picking mine up from Laura Ford.
Will be taking secondary roads home for the stop and go, as well as the constantly changing speeds.
Should get me around 600 miles of break in.

Jim
Sponsored

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I went to the 2020 Ford F-150 Owner's Manual and this is the recommended break-in operation:
BREAKING-IN You need to break in new tires for approximately 300 mi (480 km). During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics. Avoid driving too fast during the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine. Do not tow during the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km)

PELS82

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Reminds me of when i was in my early 20s. Bought a brand new sports car. Driving home with my brother (multi state trip to the dealer)

“hey check the manual for the break in period”
“Im looking. Im looking. Found it! No break in!!!”

Few seconds later im going 115. :ROFLMAO:

i wont be doing that with the Bronco but it was fun

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also, don't lug the motor under high loads and low rpm. Especially a boosted engine!
Generally never do this, but particularly under break in.
Agree with the other comments... No steady RPM, allow the motor to spin easily with varying loads, and short trips initially to allow cool down (higher friction and local temp until parts are worn in). The last part may be optional as the truck will likely already have miles on it before delivery.

coolrain

Badlands
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger, 2014 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow this thread is early
If your going to buy out of state etc just use side roads every couple of hours.... perfect for breaking in

Sponsored

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I went to the 2020 Ford F-150 Owner's Manual and this is the recommended break-in operation:
BREAKING-IN You need to break in new tires for approximately 300 mi (480 km). During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics. Avoid driving too fast during the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine. Do not tow during the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km)
I could interpret that as meaning redline it in the first five gears and take 6th gear only to 100mph (too fast? varying speeds frequently? Changing up through the gears?) - and then take it down to 90 and then to 80 and then to 70 and then to 60 and to a stop and then do it all over again (not laboring the engine?) I am saying this only half jokingly as I really do not understand how Ford wants this truck broken in - rather vague.

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Also, don't lug the motor under high loads and low rpm. Especially a boosted engine!
Never could understand this with a turbo engine. So basically, it's not good to stomp on it from a standstill because that is a "high load, low rpm" situation? I'm personally not a fan of turbo engines, but it's all we got.

RAB123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RUBICON , 1980 BLAZER , OWNED LIKE 4 OF THE ORIGINAL BRONCOS
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
take it to a local speed shop and pay for 1 hour of dyno time , then dump the oil , recheck the numbers and your off to the races .

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ye
Never could understand this with a turbo engine. So basically, it's not good to stomp on it from a standstill because that is a "high load, low rpm" situation? I'm personally not a fan of turbo engines, but it's all we got.
Yeah... Or 10th gear, up hill, pulling a trailer at 1300rpm. BAD!
With the pistons moving so slowly, the combustion cycle puts a LOT of stress on the ring lands and bearings (which aren't bedded in and high-spots polished down)...
A little rpm in these situations is absolutely necessary... But not like 6000rpm or anything!

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Long drives at a constant speed are not good for a new engine, if you want to keep it for years and miles to come. While metallurgy and materials have changed in the last 100 years, the basic internal combustion engine has not, crankshaft, rods, bearings, pistons and rings. Treat them right at the start and they will most likely treat you right for the long haul.

There are many examples of the proper engine break-in procedure on the internet, here is one example:
https://www.theenginebuilders.com/break-in-procedure

Sponsored

jsharpe

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sharpe.com
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks. It was that constant rpm I was wondering about.
Going up and down all those Iowa/Nebraska/etc. mountain passes will help with the constant rpm thing. I think the elevation changes might mike it into the double digits in some places. ;)

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Owner Manual: No special break-in period is needed

Also the Owner’s Manual: Here’s how you break-in the engine properly...

???
Yep really, lol. The non-break-in break-in procedure. :)

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco Wildtrak; ‘13 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My two cents -- break-in is your decision. I was, and still am, active in the Camaro5 forums and when the 11/12/2013 product group were all waiting for our 1LE's to be built, the same conversation and recommendations ensued:
  • "Break it in"
  • "Don't break it in"
  • "Drive it like you stole it"
  • Those are guidelines
  • Change the oil early
  • Don't change the oil early
  • etc
I maniacally followed the 1500-mile break-in owner's manual instructions. Painful. Long. And, what I'm about to say is NOT factual but just my experience.

My 1LE yielded more horsepower than the guys who "drove it like they stole it".
  • Related to how I broke the car in? Maybe
  • Difference in my town's tuner equipment than others? Maybe
  • Difference in the before-after time of day, ambient temperature in my HP studies vs. "theirs"? Maybe (FWIW, I tested both time at 8am in the same season, same temp, same distance from home to the shop, blah blah blah)
The 1LE was rated at 428 HP. I consistently got more. Others were getting 378, 412, and some even 410 or more like me.

Science? Nah.

But, will I "follow the directions" with the Bronco? You betcha!

YMMV!

Again this is EACH owner's decision. Whatever choice you make is the right choice for YOU.

--CRT (my handle here and the color code of my 1LE)
--Green Machine (the name for my Eruption Green Bronco6g. Shoulda' been my name here!)

EGBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I look at it as the break in practices can't hurt and do as I've always done. Don't think a long road trip will be an issue just vary the throttle often as to not stay in one rpm. 4,000 rpm was what I've stayed under for first 1000 miles.
Sponsored