Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Better to work everything out, including the Transfer case, for the break-in. Make sure everything is in working order before you NEED it (on a trail in the backwoods, or backing out of your snow -covered driveway). I was told drive it like you're going to drive it. It has to end up working for YOUR driving habits anyway.
Sponsored

HideoutBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Defender / 1985 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Break in is not what it used to be - just drive normally and avoid getting on the highway at 2K rpm for hours, and you'll be fine. If you really want to be good, do an oil change around 1000 miles ;)
Drove mine direct from the dealer 1200 miles home at 95mph. All good 25,000 miles later.

HideoutBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Keep in mind you should never use 4H or 4L on pavement even if there's "bad weather." You still have traction even in rain or snow (and if you don't then you shouldn't be driving on that road anyways). Otherwise it will bind the drivetrain and cause damage. You should only use those modes on loose dirt, sand, mud, or snow when your tires are free to slip.

You should only use 4A if your Bronco has it.

This is actually a huge mistake I see tons of people making.
You definition of "bad weather" and mine must be very different. 4H is a must (even mut/ruts goat mode) on roads here during "bad weather."

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I took mine to Windrocks and tried out the 4WD side of it. I had about 700 miles on it at the time.
Ford Bronco Break-In Period? IMG_5271.JPG

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Drove mine direct from the dealer 1200 miles home at 95mph. All good 25,000 miles later.
That'll be me in a couple weeks driving mine home 1300 miles from granger. Although I'm not planning on 95 mph lol

Sponsored

HideoutBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That'll be me in a couple weeks driving mine home 1300 miles from granger. Although I'm not planning on 95 mph lol
* Wyoming where the speed limit is 80 :)

I can also confi (at least on a BadSquatch) that it is speed limited at 102.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Oh I'll be going through Wyoming. I live in Idaho!

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

wailing on throttle?
No. WOT is whining off topic.
Yeah, that's what I've been using 4A. Just didn't want to keep using it everyday but it's been snowing all week and patches of ice in town so thought it was better than spinning in 2WD at the intersections in town. I also was concerned driving it at 45mph and higher while in 4A during this period. So that's why I wanted to get everyone's opinions.
Break in is mostly for the engine not the other components. And 4A is 2wd 90% of the time

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You get the extra 1 mph due to the larger tires. My 2.7 OBX won't go over 101. But it has gone 101 on I80 in Nebraska and I76 in Colorado.

Back East an occasional burst to 90-95 happens so easily and acceleration and handling at speed belues the fact these weigh as much as they do. Bucky is just as fast as my wife's X4

Sponsored

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My first oil change was 164 miles, and just got my second at 4000 miles. I wish I would've gotten it sooner, but I just started to feel like the engine was acting a little slower, and its still a thousand under realistic recommendations. The 2.3 feels a lot happier now, and I plan to try full boost for the first time since I bought it. My next change is at 7000-7500 miles, will be full synthetic, and I'll probably upgrade to the FL-400s

BlazinGrizz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco OBX / 2020 Subaru Ascent Touring
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

wish I could have broken mine in better but I had to take delivery and immediately drive 9 hours home. I was easy on the acceleration and have been to date (1500 miles now).
I’m going to be in a similar situation. Albeit shorter, only 2 hours away. I’m not sure exactly how to tackle the break-in with a decent drive back home out of town. Any suggestions?

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I usually baby it the first tank of gas, then its 100% normal use and first oil change at 1000-1500 miles. Like others, my Bronco lost its dirt virginity early and became a whore but that is life.

OF Hero

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sorry to bump this old thread...but any thoughts on adding more negative offset wheels (0 in this case) before the break in period is complete...or would you let the suspension "settle" first?
Sponsored