First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No idea, but it's cool to think I could park my Bronco, put out a shady solar array, go for a long hike all day and have some additional battery. And possibly even use that power to run the AC or heater while I'm camping in the Bronco without running the engine.
Sorry but a 200w panel isn't really going to do much for you. Maybe a fan and keep your 12v topped off.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Let the markets truly decide what they want without outside interference, then I'll come back to you in 20 years to see what's up.

Some apartment buildings and rentals are banning Electric stuff like bikes, scooters and hoverboards due to them being prone to burst into flames, this is something that needs to be addressed in due time. Again though, let the markets decide how things play out though
But those items listed are manufactured to lowest standard using cheap materials. EV batteries have their own climate controls to protect them during extreme weather, which is part of the reason why range is affected in those extremes.

The other issue is that there are something like 13 states that use CARB regulations, and a significant amount of those states are also the top 10 car selling markets...that alone will push manufactures to making more EVs.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Let the markets truly decide what they want without outside interference, then I'll come back to you in 20 years to see what's up.

Some apartment buildings and rentals are banning Electric stuff like bikes, scooters and hoverboards due to them being prone to burst into flames, this is something that needs to be addressed in due time. Again though, let the markets decide how things play out though
I understand why you do not want to pay any money to expedite the change over. Everybody seems to look at the short term.

The change is happening like it or not. Does not matter what you think or I think.

The change will benefit all of us. Energy will cost significantly less, energy capture and storage will be more local creating less reliance on the regional network of wiring.... This is a major benefit.

In my opinion (and that is all it is, an opinion) having been studying this industry for decades, is that accelerating the change over does benefit the vast majority of people.

It also allows us to keep some kind of pace with China with could become the worlds most influential country (economically and therefore politically) if we do not stay on top of things... But that is just my opinion.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That boils down to a training issue and not an actual issue. Its like going from diesel to gas, well to a point.
It sort of is an actual issue if no one's trained.

Sponsored

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It sort of is an actual issue if no one's trained.
But training is out there if one so desires to learn.

I have an old army buddy who is a Ford tech that got training to work on the Mach E and Lightning and I'm sure they have it for the hybrids also.

Its just your local mechanics don't have the training because they haven't kept on it or aren't interested. That should change very soon if they want to keep their careers.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It also allows us to keep some kind of pace with China with could become the worlds most influential country (economically and therefore politically) if we do not stay on top of things... But that is just my opinion.
Depending on who you believe, Geopolitically the Chinese might just fall apart in the next five to ten years. Lots of countries are going to see some very big demographic changes in that same time, due to decline in birth rates over the past 30 years.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But training is out there if one so desires to learn.

I have an old army buddy who is a Ford tech that got training to work on the Mach E and Lightning and I'm sure they have it for the hybrids also.

Its just your local mechanics don't have the training because they haven't kept on it or aren't interested. That should change very soon if they want to keep their careers.
Unfortunately desire for training and paying for training are two different things.

I'm sure the independent places are perfectly fine without paying a whole bunch of money to get technicians trained when they can still service >98% percent of the automotive market.

Most will be able to operate indefinitely with not working on the EV specific portions of a vehicle.

For dealers, I'm sure they have no choice but to spend the money to get training and equipment as required by the manufacturer with no reimbursement from said manufacturer.

What I see in the future is either you get your EV serviced at a mega dealer (small places are drying up quickly) with associated wait times or just throw it away after 10ish years.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Unfortunately desire for training and paying for training are two different things.

I'm sure the independent places are perfectly fine without paying a whole bunch of money to get technicians trained when they can still service >98% percent of the automotive market.

Most will be able to operate indefinitely with not working on the EV specific portions of a vehicle.

For dealers, I'm sure they have no choice but to spend the money to get training and equipment as required by the manufacturer with no reimbursement from said manufacturer.

What I see in the future is either you get your EV serviced at a mega dealer (small places are drying up quickly) with associated wait times or just throw it away after 10ish years.
The small independent shop next to me sees the writing on the wall.... They are hiring and training with electrification in mind. But they are one of the better shops around with an owner that can see where the future is headed.

TheGriffin1313

Base
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not politics just common sense…..

Sponsored

Melzingah

Badlands
First Name
Blakeley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry but a 200w panel isn't really going to do much for you. Maybe a fan and keep your 12v topped off.
I'd take that, especially if camping in remote wilderness for a long period of time. I was inspired to make my comment after seeing these interesting articles on the topic.

https://www.notateslaapp.com/news/1871/another-solar-tesla-attempt-and-why-it-wont-work

And this...

https://futurism.com/solar-upgrade-teslas

"A startup called EV Solar Kits is working on a photovoltaic upgrade package for Tesla vehicles that it says will cost just $5,000 and add up to 60 miles of range per day."

You're correct, not really feasible, or economical — I just think it would be cool.

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only issue is with larger cars, Hybrids aren't a huge improvement in saving gas.

Capture1.PNG

PHEV offers a bit better MPGs, if you plug it in, but overall Hybrid in larger cars is more about performace adder or powerboost in Fords case.
That mileage is highly dependent on use case though. Driving around town in consistent stop and go? Added EV range from a PHEV or hybrid will be greatly beneficial? Doing a highway trip to work every day that’s 20+ miles at 65mph? Probably not worth it. Plus the Ford has the benefit of being able to power tools.

Toyota trucks are a bit interesting in that they didn’t seem to blow mpg out of the water like their cars & crossovers do, but still saw a solid bump over the V8s they replaced.
I have a Mach E GT now for a loaner. It drives well, feels stable as it has the mag suspension in it, and it can go. I mean really go. The Mach Ex GT has the 4 motor setup. It gets about 250 range, and as I found out, you charge it to about 85~90%. With the chargers at Wallmart it takes about 20 minutes from 20% to 85%.
Btw Mach E GT only has 2 motors. I believe the Rivians are the only vehicles with 4 motors.
They're lot rocks at this point, everyone bought into the hype and now they're White Elephants. If they weren't, why the super heavy discounts?
Sales on all vehicles has caught up this year. Heck there was a thread on here the other day about Broncos sitting on lots.

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I don't want a full EV, but I was hoping on trading up to a Bronco PHEV if they released it soon. I don't plan on waiting until early 30s, so if Ford doesn't do anything, I'll probably switch to a Jeep PHEV in a year or two.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Btw Mach E GT only has 2 motors. I believe the Rivians are the only vehicles with 4 motors.
"These feed a single electric motor on the RWD versions of the Select and Premium, or a motor on each axle in AWD variants of all four trims. In the ultimate GT and GT Performance models that only come with AWD, those motors combine to make 480 horsepower and up to 634 pound-feet of torque."

So basically as I said, the Mustang Mach E GT has a motor on all 4 axles because it is AWD.
Just jump on the Ford.com and look it up. The NORMAL Mustang Mach E only has the RWD.

Last edited:

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"These feed a single electric motor on the RWD versions of the Select and Premium, or a motor on each axle in AWD variants of all four trims. In the ultimate GT and GT Performance models that only come with AWD, those motors combine to make 480 horsepower and up to 634 pound-feet of torque."

So basically as I said, the MMustang Mach E GT has a motor on all 4 axles because it is AWD.
From the article you quoted (bottom portion talking about Mach E GT):
“MOTORS
2 permanent-magnet synchronous AC; combined output, 480 hp, 634 lb-ft; 88.0-kWh liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery pack”

The wording may be funny, but I assure you it’s two motors.

Example of Rivian with 4 motors (bottom portion again)

“POWERTRAIN
4 permanent-magnet synchronous AC motors
Combined Power: 835 hp
Combined Torque: 908 lb-ft
Battery Pack: liquid-cooled lithium-ion, 128.9 kWh
Onboard Charger: 11.5 kW
Transmissions: direct-drive”
Sponsored