Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

And here’s me keeping my spare center cap to roll a single pass. The spare needs a spare center cap to execute this strategy, otherwise it’s not exactly that easy.
Not true. Think about it.

Also, the spare doesn’t have a center cap because the backup camera is there.
Sponsored

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m probably not saying anything novel here, but consider this a “+1” for the rational side of this conversation…

Unless you just can’t afford the up-front cost of $250ish for a fifth tire, there is no rationale for skipping it. With a set of five, 20% more cost upfront = 20% more life out of the full set of tires.

Also, all this talk about cost/effort to rotate is moot. I mean, at this point, are there any tire places that still don’t offer free rotations for the life of the tires?

I have the same size tires you’re talking about getting. Doesn’t this look better than a smaller/different-tread spare with a cover…?

Ford Bronco Cheap A$$ Spare 237530A3-169E-4023-9598-213B593178E3

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thank you - I never suggested buying a smaller spare - just buy a cheaper spare the same size.

Another person suggested keeping the original smaller spare, but that idea is not where I was going with this topic.

The question is: Is it a bad idea to have a same size spare, but a cheaper tire thats kept out of rotation and kept covered.
Keep in mind that just because the two sets of numbers on the sides of two different tires equate to the same OD in an calculator it doesn’t mean they’re the same size… I’ve seen a heck of a lot of different sizes of “35” for example.. search some 315/70/17’s and you’ll find they‘re all listed as that but the actual OD varies by up to half an inch a lot. As others have mentioned it’s really only an issue in 4h/L/locked and or on pavement but something to consider. I’d get 5 and be done.. plus assuming you rotate tires yourself I find it easier when using jack/jack stands to rotate 5 vs. 4 as you only ever have to have 1 wheel off the ground at a time

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not true. Think about it.

Also, the spare doesn’t have a center cap because the backup camera is there.
As a five tire rotator I always found it easier to pop a spare center cap in as the spare comes off the tailgate and then proceed around the vehicle one corner at a time. If there is a better way, I’ve been doing it wrong. Of course I haven’t had a five tire rotation vehicle since I was in my 20’s, so I’m up for a better mousetrap if there is one.

the bonus to running aftermarket wheels, you get the center cap for the spare location.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Buy a set of runflats and wheels to match. Unless you puncture the sidewall you can drive out of the woods on 4 flats. Replacing them at a dealer will cost $1500
/4

Sponsored

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As a five tire rotator I always found it easier to pop a spare center cap in as the spare comes off the tailgate and then proceed around the vehicle one corner at a time. If there is a better way, I’ve been doing it wrong. Of course I haven’t had a five tire rotation vehicle since I was in my 20’s, so I’m up for a better mousetrap if there is one.

the bonus to running aftermarket wheels, you get the center cap for the spare location.
Why wouldn’t you take the spare off, jack the first corner, remove that tire (and cap), replace with the spare (and cap you just took off, then move along? So, all center caps stay where they are as you move wheels and tires around the vehicle one at a time.

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Buy a set of runflats and wheels to match. Unless you puncture the sidewall you can drive out of the woods on 4 flats. Replacing them at a dealer will cost $1500
/4
I bought a set of five tires in the size he’s looking for, at a slightly lower price.

BroncoMTB

Raptor
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

You need to calculate in the cost of rotating the tires into the equation. Unless one rotates themselves or gets it done for free, you pay for rotation. Say rotation at 10K miles costs $20. That is probably another $60 to get to the 30K mark. Personally, your original equation works for me because I never rotate my tires. More often one of the tires suffers a non-repairable puncture that requires replacement, and erases any predicted mileage gain from rotation.
1. If tire rotation cost is a consideration you can’t afford the vehicle upkeep.

2. Many tire shops rotate tires for free! (Big Brand Tire, America’s Tire, Discount Tire, Les Scwabe…. Etc. etc.)

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Why wouldn’t you take the spare off, jack the first corner, remove that tire (and cap), replace with the spare (and cap you just took off, then move along? So, all center caps stay where they are as you move wheels and tires around the vehicle one at a time.
That’s what I do. Not sure where the center cap confusion comes from…..

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1. If tire rotation cost is a consideration you can’t afford the vehicle upkeep.

2. Many tire shops rotate tires for free! (Big Brand Tire, America’s Tire, Discount Tire, Les Scwabe…. Etc. etc.)
Not a concern, just including the cost in order to calculate a true scenario.

Sponsored

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Most mom and pop places match that sort of deal from the National chains too.

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Isuzu’s used to use bolts for center caps. My RTR’s are friction fit, so it would
Work. Except, I have the center cap for the spare. So pop center cap on spare and begin rotation. Remove center cap from last wheel to hang on tailgate. The heavier the wheel tire combo, the less putzing around I try and do. I guess I’m lazy and fearful or breaking a center cap, of course, I also have the benefit of a spare!

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Strange thread

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I made an error in the math so reposting.

Let's run some numbers. Say this set of tires will last for 30k.

A set of 4 plus a trailer spare will cost you $1050, which is 0.035 cents/mile.

A set of 5 lasts 20% longer - 36k miles.

A set of 5 tires is $1250. Divided by 36k? 0.035 cents/mile. You're not saving anything.
Only if you actually wear out the tread on tires. Getting 20% more tread life is meaningless if you have to replace your tires because they are cracking and rotting from sun damage.

I just sold my old Expedition when I got my bronco. Tread was easily above 50%, but the tires were 6 years old and probably dangerous to use on the highway.

The 10-year old spare mounted under the truck was probably in better shape than the 4 drive tires.