Sponsored

Why I'll never run a spare tire delete..

Jer

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands,2017 F350, 2023 F150L, 1976 K20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Plug sets are great for small holes like this screw. How you gonna batch a blow out?
Sponsored

ScottyC

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I see more people driving around with no spare jack or anything. Not sure what happened to common sense?
It's called Triple A...

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Jeep Patriot, 06 BMW F650GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Always keep a plug kit in the compressor case when headed off the beaten path. Have put multiple plugs in a single hole before, while not ideal it has gotten me home. For road trips there is road side assistance.
Ford Bronco Why I'll never run a spare tire delete.. IMG_0420

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well, I have heard that plugs don't work well on low profile sports car and motorcycle tires, which are the only ones I've plugged so far. I have heard they work better on regular and truck tires. But still, for $25, I rather have a patch if possible.

I would never patch or plug a highway motorcycle tire except in an emergency. Tires are too cheap not to replace on a motorcycle. I ride mine most days weather allows and would not trust a plugged/patched tire with my life.

I've never plugged a tire lower than 65 aspect ratio, so the low profile tires may not do well with plugs. I've only owned one vehicle with 35/40 runflats and never had to plug/patch them.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

LOL, my Bronco is running two tires with plugs already because I'm too cheap to go to the tire shop, I think one plug has 15,000 miles on it at this point. I'm fairly confident that with my ARB and plug kit along with some safety wire I wouldn't need a spare, but I still don't understand why anyone would want to get rid of it...blowouts are still a thing even with newer tires. I'd understand if a Bronco looked better without a spare, but all the spare tire deletes I've seen look terrible.

Two piece wheels are on my wishlist, I'll have the ability to pull the tire off and actually patch it instead of plugging in the field. Dual beadlocks are a plus too.

Sponsored

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Spare Tire Delete?? Isn't that the fairly expensive piece of kit you use to plug the hole left in the tailgate after you install a bumper mounted swing out tire carrier? Asking for a friend.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I see more people driving around with no spare jack or anything. Not sure what happened to common sense?
There’s new cars made without a spare tire. They come from the factory with run flats which are not always enough IMO. Believe one of my parents Mercedes is set up this way.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just had a flat on my C6 Corvette last week- double puncture from a piece of fencing I think. It was in the tread area, not on the sidewall. Of course no spare but I keep a manual air pump in it. Good thing for that, I stopped 3 or four times to pump air in the tire it and limped the car home. There used to be a good tire shop non chain in town to fix/patch flats. They sold the building and are out of business. So I went to 4 tire chain shops in town and 3 out of 4 would not patch a flat, never mind plug it. They all wanted to sell me new tires. The 4th shop was so booked they had a week lead time to fix a flat. I said screw that I plugged both holes. I'll eventually get new back tires but can't afford it right now and I don't drive the car that much so it will have to be fine for now.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would never patch or plug a highway motorcycle tire except in an emergency. Tires are too cheap not to replace on a motorcycle. I ride mine most days weather allows and would not trust a plugged/patched tire with my life.

I've never plugged a tire lower than 65 aspect ratio, so the low profile tires may not do well with plugs. I've only owned one vehicle with 35/40 runflats and never had to plug/patch them.
I was young and dumb when I plugged motorcycle tires. I'll never do it again ;)

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Doesn't the TPMS use the rotation to read the pressures? At least I think that's how my Indian works.
Yes. TPMS sensor data is sent once every 60 seconds when the vehicle speed exceeds 20 mph, and the sensor goes into sleep mode after 30 minutes of no movement.

OP
OP
LightRefined

LightRefined

Outer Banks
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not saying this was the case, but keep in mind the OP may have been older than you or had health issues......would take longer then...
Thanks for the benefit of the doubt, but nope I'm just slow 😅

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes. TPMS sensor data is sent once every 60 seconds when the vehicle speed exceeds 20 mph, and the sensor goes into sleep mode after 30 minutes of no movement.
I just rented a Subaru that wouldn't display tire pressure until you got up to speed, so it might be true for that vehicle, But I don't think it is true for our Broncos. I'll test it today, my right front tire has a few extra pounds in it. Right now the app says it has 39 in it (very cold out). I'll let a few lbs out soon, then check it from the app again later and check back here.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just rented a Subaru that wouldn't display tire pressure until you got up to speed, so it might be true for that vehicle, But I don't think it is true for our Broncos. I'll test it today, my right front tire has a few extra pounds in it. Right now the app says it has 39 in it (very cold out). I'll let a few lbs out soon, then check it from the app again later and check back here.
The information I posted is straight out of the workshop manual.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The information I posted is straight out of the workshop manual.
Interesting, if so it means every time I adjust tire pressure I should drive it first up to 20 mph, then adjust pressure within 30 minutes.
Sponsored