Sponsored

Colorado 2.7L (or any >7K ASL) owners chime In...especially those with 4.7 gearing

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
All,

I am curious as to your experiences with the 2.7L at 7,000 ASL or higher. I have a N/A 2019 3.6L Rubicon with 37's that even after re-gearing to 5.13 does not handle the elevation very well.

Curious how the 2.7L with 4.7 gearing does at 7K or higher.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It does everything I've ever asked of it. Plenty of trips up the mountains and wheeling as high as 11,000 feet and above. I tow up and down I-70 and 285 and again it's been great.

Colorado4x4

Wildtrak
First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It does awesome. I have a Wildtrak 2.7L with 4.7 gear ratio and the stock 35s. My previous rig was a 2016 JKU with 35s and had the 4.10 gear ratio (undergeared so not a direct comparison) but have ridden in some JKs and JLs with 37s and 5.13s. The Bronco does awesome going up I-70 to the tunnel, Floyd Hill, 285, etc. I’ve got a homemade cargo/roof top tent/camping trailer that I built on 35s and it does really well dragging that up the hill and I load that bastard with a pile of camping gear. I’m just tickled with it. No lack of power or want to change anything as far as power goes.

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No problems with power above timber line and no problems with power on the highway getting up the hill. Badsas 2.7 at altitude is working fine with premium fuel.
Ford Bronco Colorado 2.7L (or any >7K ASL) owners chime In...especially those with 4.7 gearing 20230619_145836

ColoradoKid26

Badlands
First Name
Naughty Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badsquatch, 2022 F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I spend a good deal of summer between 8,500 to 12,000 ft ASL and mine runs great.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I appreciate the information guys. As much as I love my Jeep, after being at 7K+ for 2 years, the lack of power is really starting to grind on me. Though I could look into an engine swap or a supercharger, the reliability would likely be reduced or become unpredictable.

I am considering shifting to the "dark side" and aside from the IFS, the Bronco is starting to really appeal to me. I need to see if there is a car rental company around that rents them and drive one for a week or so and my fate would likely be sealed. :D

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Plenty of torque at high elevation especially on my trails here in Wyoming. 4low I can lug the engine barely past idle over rocks. On the highway my Bronco Sasquatch gets up to 80-100mph before you can blink an eye. Even in a Wyoming head wind.

Reactions: Wyo

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I appreciate the information guys. As much as I love my Jeep, after being at 7K+ for 2 years, the lack of power is really starting to grind on me. Though I could look into an engine swap or a supercharger, the reliability would likely be reduced or become unpredictable.

I am considering shifting to the "dark side" and aside from the IFS, the Bronco is starting to really appeal to me. I need to see if there is a car rental company around that rents them and drive one for a week or so and my fate would likely be sealed. :D
My wife got the 2.0 jlur and it was fine 11000 and around that… thats why we both went 2.3 in the broncos

AceGoliath

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco OBX SAS , 22 Maverick XLT, 10 Fusion SE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Check out TURO in your area.

graham5david

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 2.7 has more power than the diesel 3.0 gladiator I had and it tows better in my opinion. The 3.6 feels anemic compared to the 2.7. Jeep has a much better audio system though. That is the only thing I miss about my Jeep.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My wife got the 2.0 jlur and it was fine 11000 and around that… thats why we both went 2.3 in the broncos
If mine was a 2.0T, I would be fine with it as the turbocharger compensates for the altitude, but without it, well, it's a 21% loss in HP/TQ from sea level to 7K and the 3.6L does not have 21% of anything to spare.

I re-geared from 4.88 to 5.13 and it helped some, but over time, I am growing to hate the way it runs heading up into the mountains and to some degree even around town. It drags the gears out too much between shifts.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The 2.7 has more power than the diesel 3.0 gladiator I had and it tows better in my opinion. The 3.6 feels anemic compared to the 2.7. Jeep has a much better audio system though. That is the only thing I miss about my Jeep.
For the audio, even with the Ford B&O system, the Jeep is better?

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Plenty of torque at high elevation especially on my trails here in Wyoming. 4low I can lug the engine barely past idle over rocks. On the highway my Bronco Sasquatch gets up to 80-100mph before you can blink an eye. Even in a Wyoming head wind.
Yep, that WY (and CO) head wind is a killer and since the Jeep is a box on wheels and with a 3.5" lift kit, the profile requires HP/TQ to maintain speed.

Not that I would buy one for the MPG, but what are you getting at 70-75MPH?

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, that WY (and CO) head wind is a killer and since the Jeep is a box on wheels and with a 3.5" lift kit, the profile requires HP/TQ to maintain speed.

Never really looked. Maybe 16-17? I’m getting the ford performance tune soon so that should help some from what I read. My 2 door will have almost as much torque as a raptor after the tune!

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

6800 miles in 21 days we got 23mpg avg speed almost 50 on the whole trip in a stock JLUR from Louisiana to Wyoming/Colorado/Utah/New Mexico/Kansas/Idaho/ South Dakota/Montana /Texas and Louisiana

Louisiana to Colorado and Utah New Mexico and back 3100 miles I got 16 in a Sasquatch 2.3 on Yokohama mud tires

the other two people I think got 20 mph stock following me 2.3 Sasquatch
Ford Bronco Colorado 2.7L (or any >7K ASL) owners chime In...especially those with 4.7 gearing IMG_1849
Sponsored