Sponsored

Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not even remotely. Stay the course. (y)
Sponsored

glacierbear

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS 7, Ram 3500, Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So here's a little story, got tired of Ford changing things or eliminating desirable to me options (white roof) and limiting interior colors so we picked up a defender 110 HSE (green with white top). I will still plan on getting the Bronco and it will replace my JL Wrangler when I get it. I suspect that the Bronco will drive and ride nicer than the Wrangler and be just as capable. I think that the Defender is in a different category than the Bronco and has moved into the luxury SUV segment but unlike a lot of luxury SUV's still has serious off-road capability. As far as reliability, I have owned several Jaguar/Land Rovers and none of them have left me stranded and it came with a 4 year/50K warranty and courtesy vehicle while defender is being serviced or repaired. I am hoping Ford gets their act together as I am looking forward to seeing them in person ( I have owned 3 during my lifetime) and it is exciting to see more competition in the true off road vehicle category (not just jeep) in the American Market. To end the story I will say that I really like the defender, have had zero problems, it handles and drives really nice, I doubt that Ford will ever match the quality of the interior and will probably have to wait for the warthog to match the horsepower/performance of the 6 cyl Defender engine.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Kinda sus, think Ben's an imposter

Clint

Base
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have looked at them . They are pretty cool, but you can't remove the top. This is the number one reason I like the Bronco.

abdickson70

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think it really is a matter of investing in capability/durability/open air experience or comfort/rarity and quirkiness/image. Folks really ought to add at least a few $1000 for a serious warranty on the Rover.

At least! More like 4-5 K from the dealership, because TATA knows best, that they will be taking it up the a$$ in warranty work! I Would never purchase one without a warranty but because of astronomical depreciation and poor residuals and money factors on leases, you will pay dearly on a lease as well. If money and time spent in a service bay are not a factor, Rovers are one of the most pleasant and appealing drivers on the road today.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
if the roof don't come off i ain't interested

NoMansLand

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've already sounded off on this before. I opted for the Defender in lieu of the Bronco. I cancelled my 7/15 reservation today and it was a hard thing to do.
So hear me out. I really, really, really want a Bronco. BUT, a combination of things is pushing me away:
1) I am a late reservation holder already, so with the latest news from Ford I am very disheartened about probably having to wait till calendar year 22 to get my manual Sasquatch badlands
2) I am frustrated that the only interior choices on the badlands are black
3) I am frustrated that Ford is not offering a green color (CG doesn't count)
4) Equipped the way I want, with all the goodies I want, the Badlands I have been planning to order will top $60K (I am a business owner and will be using this vehicle for marketing purposes/tax right off)

so...

1) I think I can get a Defender much, much sooner as they are already on the streets
2) The Defender has a strikingly similar interior design to the Bronco but with nicer materials and colors, I can get white headliner & seats
3) I can get a Defender in Green, WITH A WHITE ROOF AND WHITE STEEL WHEELS!
4) While certainly more expensive than a fully loaded Bronco Badlands, the Defender isn't nearly as expensive as you might think it'd be, especially when you think about all the aftermarket 'investments' I'd want to do to the Bronco; AND you can equip it with some pretty cool accessories from the factory that the Bronco does not offer (for example, a functioning snorkel, air ride suspension, integrated air compressor (Ford's is a separate ARB piece you have to mount yourself if you want it onboard), integrated ladder, a sliding glass panoramic roof that still functions under their roof rack, and on and on).

I realize that the combination of factory 35"s and a manual transmission can't be had on the Defender, but I don't really 'need' 35's, and I'd be willing to sacrifice the Manny tranny to get my off-roader no later than summer and possibly in the spring. Also aesthetically I think the Bronco looks better, but the new Defender design has really grown on me and I don't think its a bad looking vehicle at all.

Am I crazy? Do I need to be talked from the edge? or does the Defender push your buttons too? Do these pictures rustle your feathers as they do mine? Anybody have LR horror stories to share and scare me away from the Land Rover? (also I would probably go the 4 door 110 route vs the two door 90 route but couldn't find cool action shots of a white roofed white wheeled green 110 playing in the countryside)

901ba4a1cbe0c8a601e293e5613159e0.jpg

2020-Land-Rover-Defender-90-off-road-wading-1000x600.jpg

100919-New-land-Rover-Defender7-c-Land-Rover.jpg

LR_DEF_20MY_90_26.02.2020_22.jpg

Land-Rover-Defender-3-of-5.jpg

land-rover-defender-110_01.jpg
Best of luck!
So hear me out. I really, really, really want a Bronco. BUT, a combination of things is pushing me away:
1) I am a late reservation holder already, so with the latest news from Ford I am very disheartened about probably having to wait till calendar year 22 to get my manual Sasquatch badlands
2) I am frustrated that the only interior choices on the badlands are black
3) I am frustrated that Ford is not offering a green color (CG doesn't count)
4) Equipped the way I want, with all the goodies I want, the Badlands I have been planning to order will top $60K (I am a business owner and will be using this vehicle for marketing purposes/tax right off)

so...

1) I think I can get a Defender much, much sooner as they are already on the streets
2) The Defender has a strikingly similar interior design to the Bronco but with nicer materials and colors, I can get white headliner & seats
3) I can get a Defender in Green, WITH A WHITE ROOF AND WHITE STEEL WHEELS!
4) While certainly more expensive than a fully loaded Bronco Badlands, the Defender isn't nearly as expensive as you might think it'd be, especially when you think about all the aftermarket 'investments' I'd want to do to the Bronco; AND you can equip it with some pretty cool accessories from the factory that the Bronco does not offer (for example, a functioning snorkel, air ride suspension, integrated air compressor (Ford's is a separate ARB piece you have to mount yourself if you want it onboard), integrated ladder, a sliding glass panoramic roof that still functions under their roof rack, and on and on).

I realize that the combination of factory 35"s and a manual transmission can't be had on the Defender, but I don't really 'need' 35's, and I'd be willing to sacrifice the Manny tranny to get my off-roader no later than summer and possibly in the spring. Also aesthetically I think the Bronco looks better, but the new Defender design has really grown on me and I don't think its a bad looking vehicle at all.

Am I crazy? Do I need to be talked from the edge? or does the Defender push your buttons too? Do these pictures rustle your feathers as they do mine? Anybody have LR horror stories to share and scare me away from the Land Rover? (also I would probably go the 4 door 110 route vs the two door 90 route but couldn't find cool action shots of a white roofed white wheeled green 110 playing in the countryside)

901ba4a1cbe0c8a601e293e5613159e0.jpg

2020-Land-Rover-Defender-90-off-road-wading-1000x600.jpg

100919-New-land-Rover-Defender7-c-Land-Rover.jpg

LR_DEF_20MY_90_26.02.2020_22.jpg

Land-Rover-Defender-3-of-5.jpg

land-rover-defender-110_01.jpg
I have already made the switch to a Defender. With a lot of sadness, I cancelled my 7/15 reservation today (you're all welcome). I love the look of the Bronco and Defender equally for different reasons. On top of Ford having no clue when these will get built, towing and seating capacity were the deciding factors for me. I am still a HUGE Bronco fan though and can't wait to see them on the road. Best of luck on your decision.

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

not for me, does not even remotely look the part of what I am looking for - trying to create a retro, throwback look. The defender looks too modern for me. it may be more comfortable, but it also looks more comfortable too, and thus loses "rugged look" points. I think the Bronco will be plenty comfortable while looking the part of a throwback, roots based vehicle (like the Wrangler has managed to be)

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

He basically began his career by making fun of his range rover's reliability and taking advantage of a crazy warranty on it with CarMax. He has a fondness for them though, so hats off to him for knowing what he's getting into.
Doug Demuro just announced he's driving it across country round trip... Southern CA to Nantucket and back.

He figures it could be one the highest milage new Defender 110 after he's done, and is going to report on his experience.

Sponsored

OrlandoBroncos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup. I’d get if it was just one that it would be a fluke. But 3 different ones is insane.
They just put out a new video this week:

Good news? Bad news? Spoiler alert:
The video is just a tease for a future video. They don't say what's wrong with the 3rd Defender yet

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Watching some of the videos of that Defender, especially off road, are pretty impressive. It's got some amazing tech and the lockers and height adjustability is incredible. I love watching it crawl. The Bronco has competition.

scuba

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tahoe Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Drove a new defender yesterday. Very tight / polished driving experience, and plenty of headroom. Main disappointment was that the glass "panoramic sunroof" opened (as in, could put your hand through) only about 8 inches. From the sketchy photos online, it appears the "folding cloth" sunroof opens a little more (the salesman said "just a *little*).

If a small part of the buying decision is impressing the kids with "a safari vehicle," this ain't helping.

I found the 360 views amazing, but small enough on the screen to be less useful than they could be.

Also, in case you were wondering like I was (the small amount of info / pics / community online was clear just in my couple days of research), underneath the "lunch box" external cargo box is an opaque panel, just as under the ladder on the driver side, so my plan to switch sides to clear up that blind spot would be moot.

Finally, not sure the motivation, but the inability to have both the front jumpseat and the third row (triple confirmed they force the choice) is a pretty major missed opportunity.

This is the only vehicle I'm aware of worldwide that allows a 3-across front row in the highest trim, so that alone means it'll always be a consideration for me, at least while they are orderable that way-- there won't be any in the used / inventoried market. However, the shortcomings above make me unlikely to pull the trigger.

Totally get why it's conceivable the one or two guys who opted for the Defender while considering the Bronco did so, and if I had to have only one vehicle, the 110 might be it. Thanks to the OP-- this was a great thread.

scuba

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tahoe Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
PS I'm not unaware of the historical reliability issues of LR, and totally get that would (and should) permanently cross them of the list for a lot of folks (maybe most). I live not too far from a dealer, and would expect to use a backup vehicle often.

It was interesting to hear someone on here say "they'd technically never been left *stranded* by a LR." If that's mainly the case (That the issues at least allow you to hobble home, maybe even with a trailer) that would be important to know for me. My three acquaintences who've had them didn't specify how bad the issues were.

I mean, for example, the last X (8?) check engine lights I've had on my Chey have all been O2 sensors or similar EFI issues that leave you suboptimal, but not stranded.
Sponsored