Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It’s a twin turbo 6.
I've seen both the 4cyl turbo and twin turbo 6 discussed on the Toyota forums, what makes you so certain the twin turbo 6 will be available in the LC?

It seems they may want to keep that exclusive to the Lexus GX.
Sponsored

Lewisj41

Heritage
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Renders based on recent tease.

Screenshot_20230728_111223_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230728_111300_Chrome.jpg

CTS-V

First Edition
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac CTS-V
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I've seen both the 4cyl turbo and twin turbo 6 discussed on the Toyota forums, what makes you so certain the twin turbo 6 will be available in the LC?

It seems they may want to keep that exclusive to the Lexus GX.
Because I may or may not have an inside source who may or may not have test driven the new LC this week. 😉

rayhil67

Black Diamond
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sahara 2006 hummer H3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks nice, but no ground clearance or room for bigger tires, so what's the point?

Are they gonna call it the "Parking Lot Cruiser"?
LOL.... This looks nice but more of a competition for the Bronco Sport at double the price im sure!!!!

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Didn't read the whole thread, but if the doors and roof aren't easily removable, then it isn't "competition" ;)
Agreed, if these other vehicles are not in the open top class, then they aren't competitors. The open top and door removal on the Bronco is the key feature separating it from all other vehicles in the USA save for Wrangler.

Otherwise there are plenty of vehicles having fixed roofs to choose from, not sure why people are buying Broncos if they don't want or have use for that key feature.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Because I may or may not have an inside source who may or may not have test driven the new LC this week. 😉
Was that the Plano, SoCal or Utah test circuit that they may or may not have been on?

Last edited:

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Looks nice, but no ground clearance or room for bigger tires, so what's the point?

Are they gonna call it the "Parking Lot Cruiser"?
Perhaps looking at renderings is clouding your focus, the real thing looks like it has plenty of clearance for bigger tires.
Land Cruiser incognito

screenshot_20230727_221500_instagram-jpg-jpg.jpg

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dan Neil is the vehicle review guy for the Wall Street Journal. He's woke, loves exotic out-of-reach performance cars, Subarus, and especially EVs. He reviewed the LC and found it heavy, sluggish, loaded with comfort and luxury features, and powerful--with more hp than most buyers will ever use.

I already wisecracked on Bronco6G that Toyota will market it to upscale lifestyle markets, and throw in a few shots of it driving dirt roads (not trails!) and posed in remote-looking campsites: just enough for owners to brag, "Sure, I take it off-road." I wisecracked elsewhere on Bronco6G that it's just perfect for trailering your cigarette boat to the launch ramp at the yacht club.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Dan Neil is the vehicle review guy for the Wall Street Journal. He's woke, loves exotic out-of-reach performance cars, Subarus, and especially EVs. He reviewed the LC and found it heavy, sluggish, loaded with comfort and luxury features, and powerful--with more hp than most buyers will ever use.
If Dan Neil has in fact "reviewed the LC", before the Aug 1st reveal, and published his findings, before the media embargo is lifted, something tells me he did not review the new 2024 Land Cruiser and you are referring to his 2017 review, of the old 2017 model.

2017 Toyota Land Cruiser: The Hippopotamus of Luxury SUVs

Sponsored

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

I already wisecracked on Bronco6G that Toyota will market it to upscale lifestyle markets, and throw in a few shots of it driving dirt roads (not trails!) and posed in remote-looking campsites: just enough for owners to brag, "Sure, I take it off-road." I wisecracked elsewhere on Bronco6G that it's just perfect for trailering your cigarette boat to the launch ramp at the yacht club.
Like @North7 already implied, please provide a link to this review.

I also ignored everything after "woke"

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If Dan Neil has in fact "reviewed the LC", before the Aug 1st reveal, and published his findings, before the media embargo is lifted, something tells me he did not review the new 2024 Land Cruiser and you are referring to his 2017 review, of the old 2017 model.

2017 Toyota Land Cruiser: The Hippopotamus of Luxury SUVs
You're right--my bad. In my aging state. I misremembered it for the review of its upscale twin, the "2022 Lexus LX 600 F Sport Handling." Although I sometimes take exception to Neil's conclusions, I always enjoy his snappy writing, especially his put-downs. And yes, he had some on the Bronco which hurt. Neil's writing is behind a paywall (your link didn't work), so I'm including some cut-and-paste excerpts to give you an idea of his conclusions without pushing copywrite issues. Neil writes,

"I have little sympathy for buyers of the 2022 Lexus LX 600 F Sport Handling. Anybody who plops down six figures for one of these woozy mammoths has got what’s coming to them. May the hotshot real estate agents who buy them never find a parking place. May barn owls disgrace Courtney’s open moonroof while she’s taking riding lessons.

Based on the freshly redesigned Toyota Land Cruiser heavy-duty SUV and powered by global trophy culture, the LX 600 F Sport Handling turns an already improbable creature—a body-on-frame SUV with locking diffs and a solid rear axle—into a fantastical beast of human folly: a chauffeur-driven luxury 4x4, with performance dampers and 22-inch wheels, brandishing a huge and crazy-making seven-bar chrome grille. That is so not me.
####

What, you may ask, is the purpose of such grandiosity? To borrow a phrase from 19th-century Parisian poets, Épater la bourgeoisie—to shock and appall the middle class.
###

The LX 600 joins an elite fleet of luxury SUVs including Cadillac Escalade, Lincoln Navigator and Jeep Grand Wagoneer. What unites these machines—apart from their three-row seating and used-airplane prices—is their mammon-worshiping styling. In these braggin’ wagons, the radiators work the other way, beaming presumptions of prestige and status outward, and downward. If the message you get from the LX 600 is that you’re some pissant in its way, well, you’re reading it loud and clear.

This is, of course, a class-based society. At the Ultra Luxury price point—$250,000 and above—you will find royals such as the Bentley Bentayga Speed and Rolls-Royce Cullinan looking down their noses. The Toyota-centric LX 600 can’t match their breeding but it can boast of a bigger tiara.

The need-to-know: The LX 600 replaces the LX 570, while the Land Cruiser proper has been dropped from Toyota’s U.S. lineup. The LX 600 benefits from the generational redraft of the Land Cruiser donor vehicle, including new, body-on-frame chassis engineering that nonetheless landed on the same wheelbase (112.2 inches) that Land Cruiser has had for decades.
###

Despite a swelling of the hood and fender region, the new engine is actually smaller: a twin-turbo 3.5-liter V6 succeeds the naturally aspirated 5.7-liter V8. With a max output of 409 hp, and 479 lb-ft available at a breath above idle (at 2,000 rpm), the V6 is stronger (by 26 hp and 76 lb-ft) than the retiring V8, lighter and more efficient.

Paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission and limited-slip rear differential (replacing a standard locking center differential in other trims), this power-dense little V6 manages to win a 19 mpg combined from the EPA’s estimators.
###

The dirty bits work well. With so much turbo-torque and so many gears for the transmission to choose from, the LX 600 F Sport moves out with whispering authority, smoothly responsive at low speeds and impressively quick when summoned. The F Sport Handling can haul itself to 60 mph in 6.9 seconds, says Lexus. That’s pretty salty for a nearly three-ton SUV.

Electric-assist power steering replaces the previous hydraulic system. Unlike my memory of past LXs, the LX 600 F Sport’s steering effort was agreeably light at low speeds, making this parade-day pachyderm easier to park. Among the cute features is a glass-bottom-boat camera view, which compiles several feeds from low-mounted cameras to create an unobstructed view of the terrain beneath.
###

If you’re wondering how the LX 600 handles rough terrain, I wish you wouldn’t. It’s only perpetuating the cognitive dissonance upon which the marketing is based. Thanks to its heavy-duty underpinnings, the LX 600 is of course capable of extreme off-roading feats—once, maybe twice, before you have to leave it at a paint and body shop.

And the F Sport Handling version should avoid the great outdoors like it’s allergic to bees. The most trivial gravel roads would thrash its glossy bumper valances, to say nothing of the metallic-painted 22-inch wheels, which are about as trail-rated as five-inch Louboutins.

So why lug around 2.83 tons of ladder frame and a two-speed transfer case? And why would anyone put up with the pitching and swaying body around the most ordinary of turns? I put my dogs in the back for a trip to the park and they got thrown around like kids in a bouncy house. Sport suspension my Aunt Fanny.

#############................................................#####################3

So there you have it: a very sardonic review of the Lexus version of the Toyota Land Cruiser. I don't think Bronco and Toyota/Lexus "SUVs" (I really don't like the term) will compete against each other, let alone meet each other on trails or off-road parks. But I appreciate the point that these pricey vehicles will reduce some of the "glam" factor for Broncos & Rubicons, leaving such production for more people who value them for the performance they are built for.

Happy motoring!

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

You're right--my bad. In my aging state. I misremembered it for the review of its upscale twin, the "2022 Lexus LX 600 F Sport Handling." Although I sometimes take exception to Neil's conclusions, I always enjoy his snappy writing, especially his put-downs. And yes, he had some on the Bronco which hurt. Neil's writing is behind a paywall (your link didn't work), so I'm including some cut-and-paste excerpts to give you an idea of his conclusions without pushing copywrite issues. Neil writes,

"I have little sympathy for buyers of the 2022 Lexus LX 600 F Sport Handling. Anybody who plops down six figures for one of these woozy mammoths has got what’s coming to them. May the hotshot real estate agents who buy them never find a parking place. May barn owls disgrace Courtney’s open moonroof while she’s taking riding lessons.

Based on the freshly redesigned Toyota Land Cruiser heavy-duty SUV and powered by global trophy culture, the LX 600 F Sport Handling turns an already improbable creature—a body-on-frame SUV with locking diffs and a solid rear axle—into a fantastical beast of human folly: a chauffeur-driven luxury 4x4, with performance dampers and 22-inch wheels, brandishing a huge and crazy-making seven-bar chrome grille. That is so not me.
####

What, you may ask, is the purpose of such grandiosity? To borrow a phrase from 19th-century Parisian poets, Épater la bourgeoisie—to shock and appall the middle class.
###

The LX 600 joins an elite fleet of luxury SUVs including Cadillac Escalade, Lincoln Navigator and Jeep Grand Wagoneer. What unites these machines—apart from their three-row seating and used-airplane prices—is their mammon-worshiping styling. In these braggin’ wagons, the radiators work the other way, beaming presumptions of prestige and status outward, and downward. If the message you get from the LX 600 is that you’re some pissant in its way, well, you’re reading it loud and clear.

This is, of course, a class-based society. At the Ultra Luxury price point—$250,000 and above—you will find royals such as the Bentley Bentayga Speed and Rolls-Royce Cullinan looking down their noses. The Toyota-centric LX 600 can’t match their breeding but it can boast of a bigger tiara.

The need-to-know: The LX 600 replaces the LX 570, while the Land Cruiser proper has been dropped from Toyota’s U.S. lineup. The LX 600 benefits from the generational redraft of the Land Cruiser donor vehicle, including new, body-on-frame chassis engineering that nonetheless landed on the same wheelbase (112.2 inches) that Land Cruiser has had for decades.
###

Despite a swelling of the hood and fender region, the new engine is actually smaller: a twin-turbo 3.5-liter V6 succeeds the naturally aspirated 5.7-liter V8. With a max output of 409 hp, and 479 lb-ft available at a breath above idle (at 2,000 rpm), the V6 is stronger (by 26 hp and 76 lb-ft) than the retiring V8, lighter and more efficient.

Paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission and limited-slip rear differential (replacing a standard locking center differential in other trims), this power-dense little V6 manages to win a 19 mpg combined from the EPA’s estimators.
###

The dirty bits work well. With so much turbo-torque and so many gears for the transmission to choose from, the LX 600 F Sport moves out with whispering authority, smoothly responsive at low speeds and impressively quick when summoned. The F Sport Handling can haul itself to 60 mph in 6.9 seconds, says Lexus. That’s pretty salty for a nearly three-ton SUV.

Electric-assist power steering replaces the previous hydraulic system. Unlike my memory of past LXs, the LX 600 F Sport’s steering effort was agreeably light at low speeds, making this parade-day pachyderm easier to park. Among the cute features is a glass-bottom-boat camera view, which compiles several feeds from low-mounted cameras to create an unobstructed view of the terrain beneath.
###

If you’re wondering how the LX 600 handles rough terrain, I wish you wouldn’t. It’s only perpetuating the cognitive dissonance upon which the marketing is based. Thanks to its heavy-duty underpinnings, the LX 600 is of course capable of extreme off-roading feats—once, maybe twice, before you have to leave it at a paint and body shop.

And the F Sport Handling version should avoid the great outdoors like it’s allergic to bees. The most trivial gravel roads would thrash its glossy bumper valances, to say nothing of the metallic-painted 22-inch wheels, which are about as trail-rated as five-inch Louboutins.

So why lug around 2.83 tons of ladder frame and a two-speed transfer case? And why would anyone put up with the pitching and swaying body around the most ordinary of turns? I put my dogs in the back for a trip to the park and they got thrown around like kids in a bouncy house. Sport suspension my Aunt Fanny.

#############................................................#####################3

So there you have it: a very sardonic review of the Lexus version of the Toyota Land Cruiser. I don't think Bronco and Toyota/Lexus "SUVs" (I really don't like the term) will compete against each other, let alone meet each other on trails or off-road parks. But I appreciate the point that these pricey vehicles will reduce some of the "glam" factor for Broncos & Rubicons, leaving such production for more people who value them for the performance they are built for.

Happy motoring!
TLDNR, absolutely 100% irrelevant trying to bring up an old review of an old model and trying to smear a new model with it. But hey, it's just another snappy w*** reply, trying to cancel a new model before it's even out of the gate, get real.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

TLDNR, absolutely 100% irrelevant trying to bring up an old review of an old model and trying to smear a new model with it. But hey, it's just another snappy w*** reply, trying to cancel a new model before it's even out of the gate, get real.
Respectfully disagree. The Lexus is the Landcruiser, "only more so," and what you get with the LC will be found on the LX600.
But thanks for the heads-up on the reviews. I might have knocked my head a little when I fell up the airplane stairs.
It's worth the read, simply for Neil's sardonic humor. I enjoy him even when I don't like him.

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Respectfully disagree. The Lexus is the Landcruiser, "only more so," and what you get with the LC will be found on the LX600.
But thanks for the heads-up on the reviews. I might have knocked my head a little when I fell up the airplane stairs.
It's worth the read, simply for Neil's sardonic humor. I enjoy him even when I don't like him.
The new LC shares a platform with the Lexus GX, not the LX. The old LC and LX shared platforms, but not the new ones, so again, his review is completely irrelevant to the new LC.

Reading comprehension is a useful skill that is not being used by you apparently or you're just being a troll and don't actually read anything before you post about it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.