Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If 6qts is true, this throws a wrench into everything about oil capacities and dip sticks up to this point. If there was a change, we prior to 6/22 builds (2021's) would like to know how we fit in if at all.
Mine built 5/4 22 so I’m in only batch as well….
Sponsored

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Mine built 5/4 22 so I’m in only batch as well….
I feel your pain. I know a lot of people don't seem to care how much oil is in their vehicle but I'm a little OCD about these things.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I claim misprint. It probably should read "without" oil filter. In theory you can just change oil and only change filter every other time and not void warranty
It sure would be a strange misprint. Someone would have had to have made a change on a 4th iteration. Also, a filter does not hold a quart of oil.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Because I have the felt the pain of this oil level fiasco since I got my Bronco and dumped the oil only several hundred miles after I got the car in October (I wanted to get the factory oil out and get something better for turbos in quickly and to inspect the filter pleats for debris and to install a better drain plug with a magnet). Since I first checked my oil I was flummoxed by the inaccurate level. In November, while on a RV trip, I stopped at a dealer in AZ to conduct some detective work. Even then, the stick I had from the factory was not listed as the correct stick for my application. It took zillions of forum messages and calls to dealers to eventually find a parts guy a couple of months ago who was able to score me the stick I have...and they very quickly sold out. Now the second iteration is sold out...so while I would love for my current stick to be dead accurate, especially because I am a mechanic who likes precision, I also realize first-hand how it was to get even the stick I have now. I wouldn't let a dealer change my oil (personal preference and having worked at a dealer I can assure you it is not often mechanics who do the oil changes), but now that I at least have a baseline on a stick that is far more accurate than the first one I have settled. I doubt that Ford will tool a stick specifically for the Bronco 2.7, otherwise they would have already done so. In short, owning a Ford this far has unfortunately lowered my expectations...and I figure if I lose a valve I'd get an engine with the newest stick (hopefully). I can sleep at night knowing my oil level is as close as it is going to be for some time.
If I had a twin.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m literally scared to drive my ride :(
Lol, that is a bit of an over reaction. If it is that concerning, split the difference and throw in half a quart until the dust settles and a determination is made. I promise things will be fine.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SavSqch

SavSqch

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I feel your pain. I know a lot of people don't seem to care how much oil is in their vehicle but I'm a little OCD about these things.
I’ve just discovered I am massively OCD about oil. It’s freaking me out

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If 6qts is true, this throws a wrench into everything about oil capacities and dip sticks up to this point. If there was a change, we prior to 6/22 builds (2021's) would like to know how we fit in if at all.
I agree. It shouldn't have taken this long to clarify what should be a spec I'd like to call somewhat important. Now, if they did a change, it wasn't put out there in a communication I've seen yet. Let's see what my FSE comes back with.

seashell

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I didn't make it through all of the posts so I don't know if someone already brought this up but I believe that the issue is dealers and quick oil change service centers don't allow enough time for all of the oil to drain. I'm another to confirm 7 qts on my 2021. We just finished our fourth oil change at home.

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m literally scared to drive my ride :(
That's being more than a little dramatic. It's a modern liquid-cooled engine, as long as it isn't overfilled, you're fine.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It's a modern liquid-cooled engine, as long as it isn't overfilled, you're fine.
That is precisely the concern. I know 3 people that suffered engine damage due to a quick change shop overfilling. Underfilled could be just as bad considering Ford as has already acknowledge an issue with oil pickup/pan/pump.

Sponsored

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I’ve just discovered I am massively OCD about oil. It’s freaking me out
Ok I admit, I might be more than a little OCD about it myself. That and the freaking potential RUD group I'm in.

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That is precisely the concern. I know 3 people that suffered engine damage due to a quick change shop overfilling. Underfilled could be just as bad considering Ford as has already acknowledge an issue with oil pickup/pan/pump.
The margin for doing damage by overfilling is certainly much smaller than underfilling in most engines, but we're not talking being half a quart high and grenading the engine here.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is exactly what happens. If you drain your oil you will only get 6 qts out. So you only need to add 6 qts during an oil change.
I drained my oil shortly after I got my Bronco (with my initial oil level after PDI showing halfway up the twist) and got 6.7. quarts out...and the old filter held several ounces of oil, so mine added up to just about 7 total (NOT six). Scores of other Bronco owners with 2.7s also drained out 7. It is possible that Ford's "7 quart capacity pan" was nothing but a fantasy, and that they went ahead and filled all the earlier Broncos with 7 as they left assembly...wishful thinking that 7 was correct...and that the first gen stick WAS accurate. Or it is possible that they did engineer a pan for 7, and used whatever stick that could find initially...and then said "oops"...hence the two additional sticks that they added to their parts database for the Bronco. Maybe they even did have a pan that held 7, used it, and found that whatever oil pickup assembly they had was starving some engines grenading valvetrains...who knows...and then decided to go back to 6? Hopefully some sleuthing will get us all the accurate answer ASAP.

OP
OP
SavSqch

SavSqch

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I drained my oil shortly after I got my Bronco (with my initial oil level after PDI showing halfway up the twist) and got 6.7. quarts out...and the old filter held several ounces of oil, so mine added up to just about 7 total (NOT six). Scores of other Bronco owners with 2.7s also drained out 7. It is possible that Ford's "7 quart capacity pan" was nothing but a fantasy, and that they went ahead and filled all the earlier Broncos with 7 as they left assembly...wishful thinking that 7 was correct...and that the first gen stick WAS accurate. Or it is possible that they did engineer a pan for 7, and used whatever stick that could find initially...and then said "oops"...hence the two additional sticks that they added to their parts database for the Bronco. Maybe they even did have a pan that held 7, used it, and found that whatever oil pickup assembly they had was starving some engines grenading valvetrains...who knows...and then decided to go back to 6? Hopefully some sleuthing will get us all the accurate answer ASAP.
Definitely checking this constantly for a response from Red or Flip.

I just want try and resolve this without guessing on such an expensive vehicle.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And I'd just like to add that it is sad and comical at the same time that with the HUGE runway Ford has had (like years and years) to bring back an icon that they STILL can't get something as basic (and as critically important) as the correct oil level...on an engine that has been in service for years. Why doesn't Ford reach out to the engineer that allegedly told Bronco Nation about the 7-quart pan news bulletin and trace the steps backwards to the point where that engineer worked with other engineers to confirm if that ever happened for reals? And if so, the steps that led to R&D for determining the correct level of oil with that Bronco-specific pan design we currently all have (unless Ford snuck a NEW pan for mid-2022 in there)...sigh...
Sponsored