Sponsored

Dealer Markup on Raptor - Can I do anything?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Japanese Econobox
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
First time poster, long time lurker of these here 6G forums.

Sorry if these questions are answered elsewhere, feel free to link a post to a thread where this question is already answered. I am pressed for time and only have until March 7, so I am posting first and will read later.

Bronco reservation holder since August 2020. I have been very patient and understanding. I have told the dealer all along the way that I do not care if I have to wait 5 years for my Bronco, as long as I get the features promised with the 2020-2021 price fully protected. I never bothered to set up an account and post on the forums because I thought I could outlast anything with patience.

I had spec'd out a fully loaded Badlands before at a price below $61k at the beginning of 2021. But I got my build delayed multiple times owing to having all of the features causing delays, and was 99'd.

Then the Raptor comes along and of course I want to know if I can get it, I've waited this long. The reason I picked the Badlands Sasquatch in the first place was to have the most capable vehicle. I drive a Japanese econobox, and this is the first time I have ever "yearned" for a particular vehicle.

I just got notified by my dealer that they can get a Raptor, as long as I pay a $20k markup. I spec'd out a mostly loaded Raptor and it brought me to a price above $76k. With the markup it would be over $96k, more than 50% above my previously spec'd Badlands. And they told me I need to decide by March 7.

Called Ford Corporate and mentioned that I had read about Jim Farley saying he did not like the dealer markups:

Ford CEO Asks Dealers to End Markups, Plans Punishment (thetruthaboutcars.com)

The Ford Corporate rep tells me they have no power over the dealers, but "they can take feedback." The gist I get here is that Farley being upset about the markup is just virtue-signaling BS, and the idea is to make as much as possible off the people who want a Raptor....even if that person has been holding a reservation for a year and a half and could be alienated from ever buying a Ford.

So am I just choosing at this point if the extra 0.3L of engine and 2 more inches of tire is worth $35k more than the Badlands Sasquatch? Even at 0% interest over 7 years the extra $35k would be $5k per year or $416.67 per month. That is a lot in cost for a difference in performance I may never take advantage of, even if I greatly prefer "FORD" on the grill to "BRONCO."

Is there anything I can do? Are there less brutal markups out there lower than $20k?

I intend to stop by a different dealership today for the first time, even though I have no expectations that anyone can help.
Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Since you didn't get a golden ticket, only thing you can do is shop around and hope for the best...

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You a golden ticket holder? If not, the markup is due to the fact they will only get a couple this year. With the demand so high they will end up going to the highest bidder. I don’t know how else they would determine which few, out of hundreds, would get one. It sucks but that seems to be the way that works

Reactions: jxc
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Japanese Econobox
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My understanding is that people who got the golden ticket got an email a few weeks ago saying they were allocated a Raptor.

I got an email with a picture of a Raptor and a message from Ford basically saying "Looks like you missed out thanks for waiting 18 months."

The dealer called today to tell me I can have what others have if I pay an extra $20k.

Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2001 Bullitt Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My understanding is that people who got the golden ticket got an email a few weeks ago saying they were allocated a Raptor.

I got an email with a picture of a Raptor and a message from Ford basically saying "Looks like you missed out thanks for waiting 18 months."

The dealer called today to tell me I can have what others have if I pay an extra $20k.
Run away from that dealer.

I think the only way you're getting a Raptor is to buy it off of someone who got the golden ticket. Unless you wait another year or two.

Sponsored

cburke996

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 Firebird, E39 M5, Lotus Elise
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am a golden ticket holder. Also had a well spec'ed Badlands Sas on order, MSRP agreed to by my dealer. I've been prodding the dealer since i got my lucky email, and finally at the end of Feb I learn they would charge $50k ADM for the raptor despite my golden ticket holding.

Being that I have already converted my BL order last March, transferring dealers is not looking likely. I've been in contact with Bronco marketing team, and the dealer I would like to transfer to has been in contact with the local Ford Rep. Basically there seems to be a legal issue about moving my allocation to a new dealer because the original dealer "earned" it already. So I think I am screwed.

thenewjs

Raptor
First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Not sure how this would play out. Ford told dealers exactly who won. I’m curious how they would sell it to anyone other than the person specified. Will they sell it to you used. Is this a one in lifetime opportunity and the dealer said screw and will take whatever the consequences ford dishes out.

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Not sure how this would play out. Ford told dealers exactly who won. I’m curious how they would sell it to anyone other than the person specified. Will they sell it to you used. Is this a one in lifetime opportunity and the dealer said screw and will take whatever the consequences ford dishes out.
If Raptor is refused by GT holder it is recommended it goes to next guy in line that’s been waiting

HarderCorer

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So am I just choosing at this point if the extra 0.3L of engine and 2 more inches of tire is worth $35k more than the Badlands Sasquatch?
It's your money but it sounds like you already know the answer to that. It just isn't the answer you want to hear.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

soo they are gonna screw you on your original BL if you order that?

Sponsored

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If Raptor is refused by GT holder it is recommended it goes to next guy in line that’s been waiting
Not exactly "next guy" but another long time reservation holder I think were the exact words in the "memo". It would be incorrect to think the dealership would automatically go to next guy in line.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sadly no, there's absolutely zip you can do. As we've seen in so many cases Ford doesn't care, and it's for damn sure these sum bag dealers don't care. I would wish you luck, but I'm sure you already know there just isn't any in this situation. I am sorry your dealer is treating you this way.

Lucky

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 OB Sasquatch V6 2-Door AMB
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Imagine if everyone who reserved by the end of August 2020 expected a Raptor at MSRP. Ford would just give up. Seriously though, the first hurdle is getting MSRP for the early reservations with a golden ticket.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Japanese Econobox
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If I ran an auto manufacturer, one way I would endear myself to my customers would be standardized pricing and fair dealing, rather than playing mind games and attempting ripoffs.

Getting some folks to believe they deserve the same vehicle for $20k less because they placed a reservation 2-3 weeks earlier is a good way to get the others to hate your company.

I really want the attempt to buy a Made in the USA vehicle to be not an awful experience. I have stuck to Made in Japan so far for a reason.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
no ticket no Warthog. Your dealer is most likely pulling your leg.

Golden tickets (allocations) actually have names attached to them.

Sponsored