Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Adding my data point: I changed my oil today at around 1200 miles. I checked the dipstick before starting, cold, after the vehicle had sat all night. The oil on the dipstick was well into the twist, over full according to the marks. I don't have a super accurate way to measure how much I drained, but it was around 6.5 quarts. I put 6 quarts in, waited about 30 minutes, and the level was just under the top hole of the dipstick. I drove around for a bit afterwards. Now I'll let it sit overnight and check it in the morning. If it's below the dot I think I'll add a bit more, trying to split the difference between the dipstick guidance and the 7 qt recommendation. It will be nice once we get some confirmation on whether the 7 quarts is right or the dipstick is right!
Sponsored

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Adding my data point: I changed my oil today at around 1200 miles. I checked the dipstick before starting, cold, after the vehicle had sat all night. The oil on the dipstick was well into the twist, over full according to the marks. I don't have a super accurate way to measure how much I drained, but it was around 6.5 quarts. I put 6 quarts in, waited about 30 minutes, and the level was just under the top hole of the dipstick. I drove around for a bit afterwards. Now I'll let it sit overnight and check it in the morning. If it's below the dot I think I'll add a bit more, trying to split the difference between the dipstick guidance and the 7 qt recommendation. It will be nice once we get some confirmation on whether the 7 quarts is right or the dipstick is right!
Yup...pretty much spot on with what I noticed. Stick level was well into the twist pre-oil change, then I got 6.7 to drain, added 6 which put it right at the top hole after the start/stop/15-minute wait period. Then felt guilty because of the advertised "7 quart" capacity. Frustrating...

Lucky Nut

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Same. I sure hope that stick is correct.

ffdemoss

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 F250, 2017 Fusion, 2014 Escape, 2005 LJ, 1968 M715
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I changed mine today. Not sure what came out, but 6 qts put me middle hash after a 15 min engine run post change and 30 minutes with engine off. I'm going to leave it and check in a week.

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I changed mine today. Not sure what came out, but 6 qts put me middle hash after a 15 min engine run post change and 30 minutes with engine off. I'm going to leave it and check in a week.
I keep checking mine after adding 6, and it's near the top of the hatching.
I have a quart ready to pour in if @Ford Motor Company wants to chime in and confirm that 7 quarts is key. Maybe they can also explain why the dipstick would be wrong and why the engine was drastically overfilled at the factory...

PXL_20211112_170619418.jpg

Sponsored

ffdemoss

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 F250, 2017 Fusion, 2014 Escape, 2005 LJ, 1968 M715
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just checked mine again, 6 hours after oil change. Mine looks just like the pic above.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've sent a message to our field service engineer to try and get clarification. I don't have direct access to anyone at Ford unless I submit a technical question to the hotline and the usual response is a copy and paste from the WSM.

Most of us can probably agree, either the stick markings, fill specification or checking procedure for this engine is incorrect. What is going to be done about it, if anything, is up to Ford at this point.

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for that! I am loving my Bronco but I won't hold my breath regarding a response.

Matsterious

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nevermind i see the update thread

Any update on this? I just got my April 2022 build and the oil is in the twist. I'm probably going to do an oil change on it tomorrow with under 100 miles 🙄

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any update on this? I just got my April 2022 build and the oil is in the twist. I'm probably going to do an oil change on it tomorrow with under 100 miles 🙄
I think so...can you tell us what number is stamped on your current stick?

Sponsored

Matsterious

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think so...can you tell us what number is stamped on your current stick?
So when i checked the engine cold it was halfway up the twist, i then let it run to get to temp and it sat for 15 mins and now it appears to be right below the top dot. It's hard to tell with clear oil exactly where it's at.

Since you asked however, my dipstick number is FT4E-6750-BF D464A

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So when i checked the engine cold it was halfway up the twist, i then let it run to get to temp and it sat for 15 mins and now it appears to be right below the top dot. It's hard to tell with clear oil exactly where it's at.

Since you asked however, my dipstick number is FT4E-6750-BF D464A
Same engineering number on your stick as mine...and mine is a July 21 build...so I imagine your engine may have been built before the "new" stick was assigned to the 2022 Bronco. Flip provided some very important intel, and I then contacted a local Ford parts guy who confirmed that as of this moment the 2022 Bronco stick has a different part and engineering number than the 2021 stick. I ordered one of the "new" sticks, and it should arrive within 4 days. The punchline is that the "new" stick is actually an already in circulation stick that also fits 3.5 liter F150s and Explorers...so a quick and easy way to determine if the stick I just ordered will compensate for the level difference is if anyone who happens to have a 2018 and up F150 or Explorer or Navigator with a 3.5 would be so kind as to measure their stick (I know the jokes are coming) and share the distance from where the stick sits on the valve cover to the max mark and posts it so we can compare to the current Bronco stick with that same measurement with the engineering number you shared. If the 3.5 stick measurement is about 1/2" higher, bingo. The new engineering and part numbers, by the way, are in fact different than the wonky sticks that have the wrong measurement marks...and the Ford parts database indicates that the new stick is used by the 2022 Broncos. I imagine Ford will remain silent on this and just phase in the new sticks.

lasttj

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep TJ, '16 Ford F150, '65 VW Beetle
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
FWIW, my 2016 F150 2.7 calls for 6 quarts. I never check the oil level before or after an oil change. Just remove the filter, remove the fill cap, drain the pan for 30 minutes, replace filter, add 6 quarts, close the hood and do it all over again when the computer tells me to. Been doing that for 6 years with no issues.

Matsterious

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Same engineering number on your stick as mine...and mine is a July 21 build...so I imagine your engine may have been built before the "new" stick was assigned to the 2022 Bronco. Flip provided some very important intel, and I then contacted a local Ford parts guy who confirmed that as of this moment the 2022 Bronco stick has a different part and engineering number than the 2021 stick. I ordered one of the "new" sticks, and it should arrive within 4 days. The punchline is that the "new" stick is actually an already in circulation stick that also fits 3.5 liter F150s and Explorers...so a quick and easy way to determine if the stick I just ordered will compensate for the level difference is if anyone who happens to have a 2018 and up F150 or Explorer or Navigator with a 3.5 would be so kind as to measure their stick (I know the jokes are coming) and share the distance from where the stick sits on the valve cover to the max mark and posts it so we can compare to the current Bronco stick with that same measurement with the engineering number you shared. If the 3.5 stick measurement is about 1/2" higher, bingo. The new engineering and part numbers, by the way, are in fact different than the wonky sticks that have the wrong measurement marks...and the Ford parts database indicates that the new stick is used by the 2022 Broncos. I imagine Ford will remain silent on this and just phase in the new sticks.
Do you have the new dip stick part number?