First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi folks! Can anyone in the forum who has done a first oil change in a 2.7 Bronco AND who was able to get 7 quarts drained and 7 quarts back in AND whose dipstick is reading at the max mark (or slightly below...like at the full mark) please post their dipstick part number and the measurement from the max mark to the base of the yellow plastic handle? It would be much appreciated! Tying to get to the bottom of the "does it hold 7 or only 6" mystery. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I was always told to never take dipstick pics and send them over the internet.

Sponsored

Tom_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 FJ40, 2011 X5D, 2019 Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought I was going to see a picture of my brother-in-law.

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The two are not mutual. It holds 7. What you put in to get it to the mark is what it takes to get to the mark.
It took only 6 to get mine to the max fill mark...hence my inquiry and the shared stories from loads of 2.7 guys that have discovered the same thing. As a mechanic I am very familiar with the proper way to change oil, and it does not take a rocket scientist to follow even the 2.7 "extra" instructions (removing filter first so as to let the oil from that area back into the pan, letting the pan drain at least 15 minutes, etc.). Also, regardless of what many have proposed (the the 2.7 somehow magically "holds" a quart in hiding someplace during an oil change...and apparently only in certain engines. Ford engineers would be foolish to create an engine that could not get most of the oil out during a drain), I am confident as to how much oil I got to drain (because I measured it). My entire point is that either the 7 quart capacity listed in the manual is a fantasy from Ford, or that the dipstick is inaccurate. Either way, it sucks because the manual contradicts itself. Even the dealerships cannot agree...one shop foreman said he would use solely the stick to measure the oil, and stop at the full mark, and another said "we'd just put 7 quarts in it." Oddly enough, when the second shop guy was asked what happens when the customer comes back and says my oil is reading too high after you guys changed it, he also said "we'd drain some out to get the proper level on the stick." I'm over a half-century old and after wrenching for most of my life I have never experienced a vehicle with a factory setup that is so inaccurate. Hopefully the majority other 2.7 owners won't have a similar issue, but I would wager there are more out there!

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Having worked on development of the Nano engines, the oil pan does hold 7 quarts.

I’ve done the oil changes on both of my 2.7L Broncos and the factory fill was 7.5 quarts which was what I recovered from both the first time, perhaps just a little less since I wasn’t measuring with anything detailed just some empty oil jugs which can be off by a bit. I did the change per the manual spec. I then installed 7 quarts of new oil and my oil is just below the max hole for both vehicles.
Any input/advice as to why mine, with only a 6 quart refill, reads 1/2 inch above the max line?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Never owned a Tacoma? The stick is for general purposes only. Know where it reads on your stick after a proper oil change and drive on.

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Having worked on development of the Nano engines, the oil pan does hold 7 quarts.

I’ve done the oil changes on both of my 2.7L Broncos and the factory fill was 7.5 quarts which was what I recovered from both the first time, perhaps just a little less since I wasn’t measuring with anything detailed just some empty oil jugs which can be off by a bit. I did the change per the manual spec. I then installed 7 quarts of new oil and my oil is just below the max hole for both vehicles.
Also is it possible to get the part number for your stick and the measurement from the bottom of the plastic handle to the top of the max fill hole? If yours and mine match, I give up...

Sponsored
OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Never owned a Tacoma? The stick is for general purposes only. Know where it reads on your stick after a proper oil change and drive on.
I have a 4runner right now and had a Tundra (never had a Tacoma but nepew does and his stick reads accurately as well) ...for both the sticks are/were spot on after an oil change. I wouldn't lose sleep over slightly over or under a line on the Bronco stick but 1/2 inch is pretty excessive...especially considering some other folks on the forum have very different readings. If an owner has to scribe a new line into a dipstick to match the correct oil level in a pan that suggests some pretty shoddy engineering. I suspect the check valve has something to do with it.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also is it possible to get the part number for your stick and the measurement from the bottom of the plastic handle to the top of the max fill hole? If yours and mine match, I give up...
It did turn into a dipstick measuring. I haven't measured mine in too long to contribute so I'm out.

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi folks! Can anyone in the forum who has done a first oil change in a 2.7 Bronco AND who was able to get 7 quarts drained and 7 quarts back in AND whose dipstick is reading at the max mark (or slightly below...like at the full mark) please post their dipstick part number and the measurement from the max mark to the base of the yellow plastic handle? It would be much appreciated! Tying to get to the bottom of the "does it hold 7 or only 6" mystery. Thanks in advance!
You did what in your dipstick hole?

And that’s what she said

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend