First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I checked it about 15 minutes after adding in the 6 quarts and letting it run for a few minutes as well. This is SOP for an oil change.
So to clarify...yours too, after putting in only 6 quarts and waiting overnight, is now at the full mark as well? If so, why would you be tempted to put another quart in?
Sponsored

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you share the level after it has sat overnight? Afrer only a 6 quart, run it, shut it down, and check after sitting over night some folks are at the max mark. I agree 1000% that no oil change should be this challenging.
After changing the oil and letting it sit for 15 minutes after running it last night, it was right around the MIN mark on the stick last night @10pm. I was sure at that time it would take 7 quarts, and would have added 7 if; 1. I had 7 quarts to add or 2. wasn't specifically aware of this issue and wanted to wait...
This morning @7am, (9 hours later) I checked it cold and it was at the top of the hatching or FULL. Not to the MAX level.
I will check again before(cold) and after(warm) lunch today and see where it sits...

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After changing the oil and letting it sit for 15 minutes after running it last night, it was right around the MIN mark on the stick last night @10pm. I was sure at that time it would take 7 quarts, and would have added 7 if; 1. I had 7 quarts to add or 2. wasn't specifically aware of this issue and wanted to wait...
This morning @7am, (9 hours later) I checked it cold and it was at the top of the hatching or FULL. Not to the MAX level.
I will check again before(cold) and after(warm) lunch today and see where it sits...
I am convinced that the "check valve system" is designed to keep oil in the top of the engine for the start stop sequences, and that by design the oil drains back slowly. I don't think the system is precise enough to match exactly 15 minutes on the clock, which is most likely why many of us report the oil level continuing to rise even after 15 minutes. I imagine there will be a lot of 2.7 owners who don't have the time to wait around to verify final oil level, and loads of xyz lube places that will for sure just dump 7 quarts in without a second thought. I am hoping Ford will chime in and give us some direction. As is all we get is a generic "7 quart capacity" entry in the manual, followed by a warning to NOT overfill beyond the max mark ("Oil levels above maximum mark may cause engine damage."), a section that indicates we can expect consumption of up to a quart in 500 miles under "high engine speeds, high engine loads," etc., and a checking oil level page that states to check the oil level BEFORE starting the engine or AFTER warming it up, shutting it down, and then waiting 10 minutes (which will, as we have already established, give different readings). BTW, even the 10 minute time period doesn't match the service manual recommendation of 15 minutes. Who writes these things?? Seems like a combination of bad intel and questionable design. Has anyone ever had a car from any other manufacturer that has had such a questionable oil level issue?

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Ford Motor Company
Care to help with Oil Change procedure? Is 7 quarts in fact the recommended capacity at an oil change with filter, even if it give a reading on the dipstick over the MAX level?
When is the proper time to be checking the oil for an accurate reading on the dipstick? After sitting cold for 8 hours? 15 minutes after running the engine? I get different results depending on when I check.
Should we just shut up and dump in 7 quarts and forget about it?

Please help us!!

unfortunate

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I wonder if the over fill or under fill of the oil has lead to the demise of some of the 2.7 motors that we’ve been seeing?

Sponsored
OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder if the over fill or under fill of the oil has lead to the demise of some of the 2.7 motors that we’ve been seeing?
I just know I feel sketched out by having to do a coin toss (heads it's 7 quarts tails it's the dipstick) on something that costs $$$$$ and that is hypersensitive to being over or under filled...

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just know I feel sketched out by having to do a coin toss (heads it's 7 quarts tails it's the dipstick) on something that costs $$$$$ and that is hypersensitive to being over or under filled...
Also note that when I sent my question to @Ford they deflected me back to the service dept. at my local dealership...and they had no idea which way to go. I do know that dealers have the ability to put in an engineering request...hoping someone in this forum has THAT secret clearance...

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah part of me actually likes the idea that oil stays up in the engine longer. You may be right about the start and stop. It also suggests that when you're at odd angles while off-roading the engine will have oil everywhere.

Personally for me, draining won't be an issue because I always do mine in the morning after the vehicle's been sitting all night anyway. But topping it off will be a pain. Almost likely add 6 quarts and then check the level for the final time after a few hours. If I have to run to the store something, being one quart low isn't going to hurt anything.

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's crazy to me that this is still a question we don't have a firm answer on.

Reactions: abe
OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah part of me actually likes the idea that oil stays up in the engine longer. You may be right about the start and stop. It also suggests that when you're at odd angles while off-roading the engine will have oil everywhere.

Personally for me, draining won't be an issue because I always do mine in the morning after the vehicle's been sitting all night anyway. But topping it off will be a pain. Almost likely add 6 quarts and then check the level for the final time after a few hours. If I have to run to the store something, being one quart low isn't going to hurt anything.
I was hoping that for wheeling purposes that the pan would have a set of baffles or a windage tray like the old school racing pans intended to keep oil in the sump during abrupt acceleration...but it is just a traditional pan design. I think Ford may have had intentions to have some whiz bang system, but then dropped the ball and slapped a 6 quart capacity pan on the 2.7s. Like the intended map program that was supposed to be released in the Fall that has a cool video out but no actual access...so I went with Gaia (because it works with Android Auto and if you start to create an account and then stop they send a 40% off coupon a day or two later).
Ford Bronco Dipstick Pic? 20211103_215916

Last edited:

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ENGINE OIL ENGINE OIL DIPSTICK OVERVIEW E270482 A Minimum. B Nominal. C Maximum. CHECKING THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL 1. Make sure that your vehicle is on level ground. 2. Check the oil level before starting the engine, or switch the engine off after warming up and wait 10 minutes for the oil to drain into the oil pan. 3. Remove the dipstick and wipe it with a clean, lint-free cloth. 4. Reinstall the dipstick and make sure it is fully seated. 5. Remove the dipstick again to check the oil level. Note: If the oil level is between the maximum and minimum marks, the oil level is acceptable. Do not add oil. 6. If the oil level is at the minimum mark, immediately add oil. 7. Reinstall the dipstick. Make sure it is fully seated. Note: The oil consumption of new engines reaches its normal level after approximately 3,000 mi (5,000 km). ADDING ENGINE OIL WARNING: Do not remove the filler cap when the engine is running. WARNING: Do not add engine oil when the engine is hot. Failure to follow this instruction could result in personal injury. Do not use supplemental engine oil additives because they are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage that the vehicle warranty may not cover. 1. Clean the area surrounding the engine oil filler cap before you remove it. 2. Remove the engine oil filler cap. 3. Add engine oil that meets our specifications. See Capacities and Specifications (page 393). 4. Reinstall the engine oil filler cap. Turn it clockwise until you feel a strong resistance. Note: Do not add oil further than the maximum mark. Oil levels above the maximum mark may cause engine damage. Note: Immediately soak up any oil spillage with an absorbent cloth.

Ford Bronco Dipstick Pic? 1636820982888

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ENGINE OIL ENGINE OIL DIPSTICK OVERVIEW E270482 A Minimum. B Nominal. C Maximum. CHECKING THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL 1. Make sure that your vehicle is on level ground. 2. Check the oil level before starting the engine, or switch the engine off after warming up and wait 10 minutes for the oil to drain into the oil pan. 3. Remove the dipstick and wipe it with a clean, lint-free cloth. 4. Reinstall the dipstick and make sure it is fully seated. 5. Remove the dipstick again to check the oil level. Note: If the oil level is between the maximum and minimum marks, the oil level is acceptable. Do not add oil. 6. If the oil level is at the minimum mark, immediately add oil. 7. Reinstall the dipstick. Make sure it is fully seated. Note: The oil consumption of new engines reaches its normal level after approximately 3,000 mi (5,000 km). ADDING ENGINE OIL WARNING: Do not remove the filler cap when the engine is running. WARNING: Do not add engine oil when the engine is hot. Failure to follow this instruction could result in personal injury. Do not use supplemental engine oil additives because they are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage that the vehicle warranty may not cover. 1. Clean the area surrounding the engine oil filler cap before you remove it. 2. Remove the engine oil filler cap. 3. Add engine oil that meets our specifications. See Capacities and Specifications (page 393). 4. Reinstall the engine oil filler cap. Turn it clockwise until you feel a strong resistance. Note: Do not add oil further than the maximum mark. Oil levels above the maximum mark may cause engine damage. Note: Immediately soak up any oil spillage with an absorbent cloth.

1636820982888.png
So the issue still remains...following the exact Ford guidelines, most of us have sticks that read WELL over the max mark from the factory oil fills (after letting the vehicle sit at least 10 but especially after more than 30 minutes or even overnight). If we follow the instructions from Ford as posted, these 2.7s do not take 7 quarts after an oil change...well, they will, but doing so puts the stick level right back in the middle of the curve in the stick well above the max line. And therein lies the rub...does anyone have access to the mothership so we can skip the service departments for an answer? No offense intended to any service managers, but many of them are NOT nor have have been mechanics...and not all mechanics in Ford service departments are engineers. What typically will happen is if someone brings their Bronco to a dealer for an oil change, someone who may not be an ASE certified mechanic and more than likely who is also not an engineer is more than likely going to dump the oil per the manual instructions, then add 7 quarts and call it a day. THAT puts it well above the max mark on the stick (but dollars to donuts most line rack folks won't time the post oil change at exactly 10 or 15 minutes or whatever to check), so customer is going to bring overfilled vehicle home and not think twice about it. I am still hoping someone with a 2018-up F150 with a 2.7 will measure the distance from the max mark to the base of the handle and share that with us...anyone? Bueller?

The_Viking

Big Bend
First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco Dipstick Pic?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was hoping that for wheeling purposes that the pan would have a set of baffles or a windage tray like the old school racing pans intended to keep oil in the sump during abrupt acceleration...but it is just a traditional pan design. I think Ford may have had intentions to have some whiz bang system, but then dropped the ball and slapped a 6 quart capacity pan on the 2.7s. Like the intended map program that was supposed to be released in the Fall that has a cool video out but no actual access...so I went with Gaia (because it works with Android Auto and if you start to create an account and then stop they send a 40% off coupon a day or two later).
20211103_215916.jpg
I'm not sure who the guy was, but those threads about everything you wanted to know about the2.7... I swear he's specifically stated that the Bronco's oil pan had baffles and that is what made it special.

I'm just wondering if the wrong oil pans are being used...aka the F150 pans.

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not sure who the guy was, but those threads about everything you wanted to know about the2.7... I swear he's specifically stated that the Bronco's oil pan had baffles and that is what made it special.

I'm just wondering if the wrong oil pans are being used...aka the F150 pans.
I checked...the F150 pans have the drain plug at the rear, and Bronco at the passenger side. The image I attached earlier was pulled from the Ford dealer parts system, from my VIN (note the absence of baffles or a windage tray). Also note that even if a pan does have a windage tray and or baffles, overfilling said pan = bad news for the engine. If oil comes in contact with rotating parts (like a CRANKSHAFT), frothing/foaming can occur...and oil that is in that state will not be able to lubricate the way it was designed to. In addition, too high of an oil level can lead to oil making it past the oil separator/pcv system, and into the turbos/intercooler. Anyone who thinks "ah what's a little over the max level going to do" has probably not witnessed the destruction too much oil can and does cause.
Sponsored