Simmy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All American
Your Bronco Model
Base
Engineering Explained compares summer/all-season/winter tires, and FWD/RWD/AWD.

Some of the discussion is EV-specific, but still some good helpful info.

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

TL; DR version - Drive a Bronco :cool:

I don't follow his channel, but the video's I've seen have been good and helpful. I mean, IMO it's a no brainer on the tire choices, but the AWD vs. FWD vs. RWD is interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In the 60’s my Dad had two rear snow tires put on the 1964 Ford Galaxie every fall. He never had a problem navigating the snow. Just saying.

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My high school car was a 1968 Chrysler Newport with a 383 4-barrel so it had a bunch of “git up and go”. Like is said above, change the rears to old bias-ply winters, throw a couple of bags of sand in the trunk and go.

There was no fun like drifting a giant land yacht down the winter roads with 7 passengers in the car, with the cassette deck blasting Van Halen I at full, distorted volume. Burning donuts, getting stuck in parking lot snowdrifts, and bumper riding in your slipperiest shoes was just a typical Canadian winter day for a teenager. Loved every minute of it!

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Engineering Explained compares summer/all-season/winter tires, and FWD/RWD/AWD.

Some of the discussion is EV-specific, but still some good helpful info.

This video explaining a theoretical analysis of the differences in safety performance between AWD, RWD & FWD is very well done. Adding in the 9x factor of Summer, Winter & AllSeason tires is 9 times important (3×3=9 scenarios)!

Caveat: 1. This is a theoretical analysis using grip numbers, not a TireRack real-world comparison on a test track. In any case, the conclusion that in SNOW, Winter Tires with AWD are superior to all other combinations is valid, and matches my experience.
2. This is a Bronco site, so our results will vary:
A. Our sub-category would be a comparison in snow between AWD (the Advanced Transfer Case Auto setting) and 4WD, the basic 4H setting on our Goat Mode dial. This is important because not all Broncos have AWD, many have 4WD, including in 2024 the non-SAS OBX.
My personal experience is that in Snow on Asphalt, AWD is safer and superior than 4WD, but since I got my Bronco after moving to snowless SC, I'd like to do a new comparison in the snow. Or do I?
B. Also for Broncos, a comparison between modern Ice & Snow tires, like the Hankooks in the video, or Blizzaks, and Snow-Rated off-road tires like the Mickey Thompson BajaBoss AT would be important for us. Not all Bronco owners are aware of the subtleties of rubber compound that make a true winter Ice tire function. For me when I lived in Adirondack Snow, Ice was the more fearsome enemy. The Ice capable tires work by using a softer rubber compound, along with a winter tread similar to an AT tire, that will wear off quickly in Summer or peel off quickly off-road.

So its important for off-roaders to realize the trade-offs for their AT/MT off-road tires in winter. Digging into deep snow: excellent! Traction on Ice: Not so good. Which for me would mean that IF I still lived in the Adirondaks, I'd be using a set of my 18" OBX wheels for winter Ice Compound tires, for 4 months, and another set the rest of the year.

For off-roading in deep snow, I dont know which is better. Maybe chains, since the Ice rubber may wear away too quickly. Someone else commrnt on that!

SmartSelect_20231228_112443_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231228_093211_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231228_093629_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231228_093932_Chrome.jpg

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

My high school car was a 1968 Chrysler Newport with a 383 4-barrel so it had a bunch of “git up and go”. Like is said above, change the rears to old bias-ply winters, throw a couple of bags of sand in the trunk and go.

There was no fun like drifting a giant land yacht down the winter roads with 7 passengers in the car, with the cassette deck blasting Van Halen I at full, distorted volume. Burning donuts, getting stuck in parking lot snowdrifts, and bumper riding in your slipperiest shoes was just a typical Canadian winter day for a teenager. Loved every minute of it!
We called it hookie bobin.... Oh yea!

Van Halen.... I got their first 8 track in 78.... Played it in my Lear Jet branded 8 track player..... (inventer of the lear jet invented the 8 track)

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Interesting concept, around here you just hit the gas and go for a ride.

@NORCALGXP
Seen that before... where gravity just pulls you right across the ice.... But Damn... still pulled out of there!

Sponsored

HP11

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302 (sold) , 2023 Ford Bronco WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I can relate to that! 1962 and 1964 Galaxy 500 for me...

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Ahhh, winters in Alaska as a teen... Different car, different music but yeah, perfectly on-point. We obviously have some great shared experiences.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

My brother from a different mother! My teenage ride was a 68 Newport convertible, 383 also!
Did all the same things with it. I remember coming home with one rear tire bald.😜 My Dad asked me "what happened"? I replied "could it be the alignment? He wanted to align my head.😯
Sometimes I feel bad for kids today that missed all that fun.
Sponsored