First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Excellent video. I'd like to add that my brother used to back up steep hills with his old front wheel drive Subaru. Similar concept to how old VW Beetles did well in snow.

For those of us with the advanced 4x4 package there's another question.

I'd like to see a comparison of AWD vs 4WD on snow. In a straight like 4WD would be best because all four wheels are traveling the same distance. But when you turn, the front wheels have to travel farther than the rear wheels which means you'll induce slippage with 4WD.

My thinking is for max stability on snow use AWD until you get stuck then lock up with 4WD until you're moving again.

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Excellent video. I'd like to add that my brother used to back up steep hills with his old front wheel drive Subaru. Similar concept to how old VW Beetles did well in snow.

I'd like to see a comparison of AWD vs 4WD on snow. In a straight like 4WD would be best because all four wheels are traveling the same distance. But when you turn, the front wheels have to travel farther than the rear wheels which means you'll induce slippage with 4WD.

My thinking is for max stability on snow use AWD until you get stuck then lock up with 4WD until you're moving again.
You're not going to have your lockers engaged driving down the highway.

Taltyman

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler Rubicon, Ford F350, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

In the 60’s my Dad had two rear snow tires put on the 1964 Ford Galaxie every fall. He never had a problem navigating the snow. Just saying.
One of my favorite cars ever. Had a friend with a white convertible one.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You're not going to have your lockers engaged driving down the highway.
True. Very good point.

The situation is similar with a bladed dirt road during a heavy rain. Last time I was in such a situation, I didn't have a AWD option. 4WD helped keep me on the road, but AWD would have been better.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Engineering Explained compares summer/all-season/winter tires, and FWD/RWD/AWD.

Some of the discussion is EV-specific, but still some good helpful info.

The TL;DW (even though I did watch) is AWD with good all-season tires will take care of anyone in all but the most wintry of conditions.

On a vehicle like the Bronco, you're not going to find a summer tire if you have any intention of going off-road, so the difference between all-season and winter isn't enough to justify the expense for regular winter users.

Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

If you are talking snowy / icy streets then I tend to use AWD.....

but off the road or deep snow (we have seen 12 inches on the road here before the plows come) I use 4H.

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Friend in high school had an old (air-cooled, rear engine) VW beetle. Best car in the snow. Lots of fun. I had a ‘69 Firebird and it was scary in the snow.

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This video explaining a theoretical analysis of the differences in safety performance between AWD, RWD & FWD is very well done. Adding in the 9x factor of Summer, Winter & AllSeason tires is 9 times important (3×3=9 scenarios)!

Caveat: 1. This is a theoretical analysis using grip numbers, not a TireRack real-world comparison on a test track. In any case, the conclusion that in SNOW, Winter Tires with AWD are superior to all other combinations is valid, and matches my experience.
2. This is a Bronco site, so our results will vary:
A. Our sub-category would be a comparison in snow between AWD (the Advanced Transfer Case Auto setting) and 4WD, the basic 4H setting on our Goat Mode dial. This is important because not all Broncos have AWD, many have 4WD, including in 2024 the non-SAS OBX.
My personal experience is that in Snow on Asphalt, AWD is safer and superior than 4WD, but since I got my Bronco after moving to snowless SC, I'd like to do a new comparison in the snow. Or do I?
B. Also for Broncos, a comparison between modern Ice & Snow tires, like the Hankooks in the video, or Blizzaks, and Snow-Rated off-road tires like the Mickey Thompson BajaBoss AT would be important for us. Not all Bronco owners are aware of the subtleties of rubber compound that make a true winter Ice tire function. For me when I lived in Adirondack Snow, Ice was the more fearsome enemy. The Ice capable tires work by using a softer rubber compound, along with a winter tread similar to an AT tire, that will wear off quickly in Summer or peel off quickly off-road.

So its important for off-roaders to realize the trade-offs for their AT/MT off-road tires in winter. Digging into deep snow: excellent! Traction on Ice: Not so good. Which for me would mean that IF I still lived in the Adirondaks, I'd be using a set of my 18" OBX wheels for winter Ice Compound tires, for 4 months, and another set the rest of the year.

For off-roading in deep snow, I dont know which is better. Maybe chains, since the Ice rubber may wear away too quickly. Someone else commrnt on that!

SmartSelect_20231228_112443_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231228_093211_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231228_093629_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231228_093932_Chrome.jpg
Charlotte has been almost 2 fulls without measurable snowfall. Where you are even longer I am sure. BUT. NC and SC get ice and I would rather be in advanced AWD auto4wd on ice, on snow (up here on Lake Erie we are way behind and won't hot average 100" by a longdhot) AND RAIN. Don't forget rain.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes. Exactly. And if you have advanced you can safely leave it in auto AWD all the time
Sponsored