Sponsored

Do you really need rear locking differental?

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

To be 100% honest if your asking you don't need them. Natural progression is to wheel an open axle vehicle and add lockers later. Only reason to push for the the rear only locker is if you want bigger tires and need more gearing.

Lockers are not equal to more fun. My open axle 3.73 Bronco is a ton of fun and it is hilarious what it will do.
Sponsored

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For most people who are looking to do basic off-roading on unmaintained roads, I think a rear limited-slip differential is all they truly need.

Unfortunately the Bronco doesnā€™t have a limited-slip option, so the next step up is a rear locker. Fordā€™s traction control with the open differential is good, but it isnā€™t perfect and it doesnā€™t replace a limited-slip. I assume the reason why they donā€™t have a limited slip is because of the trail turn assist feature. But regardlessā€¦ if anyone from Ford reads this, adding a limited slip upgrade to the Base Bronco would be fricken amazing and I would gladly sacrifice trail turn assist to have one.

If you are not traveling on unmaintained roads, and the most you will be doing is forest service dirt roadsā€¦ then you definitely donā€™t need a locker. It could be a good insurance policy if you find yourself in a sticky situation, but not required.
Limited-slip diffs don't work well with large tires, like at all. The clutches can't hold up to all of the rotational mass. I've burned them up with 33's. Ford was smart to not offer a posi because as soon as someone runs out and puts on 35s a posi is cooked and they didn't want to deal with warranty claims.

There is a reason everyone off-roading goes to mechanical lockers, selectable lockers, or Detroit/Grizzly lockers (spools and "lincoln-lockers" don't apply for a dual purpose rig).

long_road

Big Bend
First Name
TR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
202? 4dr CG Big Bend 2.3 7MT (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Anecdotal experience... I've been offroading for nearly 20 years. I've never 'needed' a locker. Been in a few situations where a locker might have gotten me out or over it easier, but it wasn't necessary. I think for 99% of driving anyone would do, a rear LSD is better.

All that said, I totally optioned my Big Bend with a rear locker... just because I could. lol.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Limited-slip diffs don't work well with large tires, like at all. The clutches can't hold up to all of the rotational mass. I've burned them up with 33's. Ford was smart to not offer a posi because as soon as someone runs out and puts on 35s a posi is cooked and they didn't want to deal with warranty claims.

There is a reason everyone off-roading goes to mechanical lockers, selectable lockers, or Detroit/Grizzly lockers (spools and "lincoln-lockers" don't apply for a dual purpose rig).
Oh I agree once you get larger than 33ā€™s you can burn up those clutches pretty easily.

BUTā€¦ Base Bronco comes with 30ā€ tiresā€¦ and the largest youā€™ll be able to get on the stock rims is probably a ~32ā€ tire, which is perfectly fine for the light weekend off-roading most people with families are going to do. And for those people, a limited slip differential would be sweet.

If the customer wants to go slap on 35ā€ tires on their Base Bronco, then they can deal with the consequences of that decision. Those that are slapping 40s on their Badlands, for example, shouldnā€™t be able to submit warranty claims for destroying their steering components. Ford didnā€™t design or sell you a vehicle with 40s, and they arenā€™t required to warranty a vehicle that was taken out of the factory spec.

(Easier said than done, I knowā€¦ but a limited slip would work great on the Base Bronco in the as-sold configuration.)

OP
OP

AlphaSpace1

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford truck
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You should have the rear locker, the front is truly optional and only used by 5% of owners, and then only rarely.

That is why Black Diamond is such a good mid point in the offering, and 10k cheaper than those with front lockers!
I have had my bronco for about two months, absolutely love it, and seeing more and more on the roads. . Its a pretty loaded out big bend, and i did add a rear locker. Just was thinking about putting an order in for a 23MY Big Bend sasquatch. Or don't go through the headache and be happy with mine:).

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Coming from living in a state with measurable snow, I'd never buy a rig with an open diffs. And having pulled hundreds of vehicles out that were stuck in snow, I'd say 80% of people in rural MN would use a front locker seasonally, acknowledging that there are children who can't drive, elderly who don't drive, and a few that refuse to drive in winter. But I can see where someone from Texas or Florida might have no use for a front locker.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had my bronco for about two months, absolutely love it, and seeing more and more on the roads. . Its a pretty loaded out big bend, and i did add a rear locker. Just was thinking about putting an order in for a 23MY Big Bend sasquatch. Or don't go through the headache and be happy with mine:).
You can order it if you really want one, BUTā€¦ may not be worth it once it arrives if you already got rear lockers.

Interest rates are going up, and economy is starting to slow down. So chances are you arenā€™t going to be able to recoup all your costs on your current Big Bend as a trade-inā€¦ and if you canā€™t pay for your new Big Bend in cash then the now higher interest rates on the car loan are going to hurt.

Still, no harm in ordering it when order banks open, and seeing what the market is like once it arrives.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I do wish I had ordered one, but panicked when my build was previewing and didn't add it.

My limited off road experience at an OHV park, I didn't need a locker. I stayed away from places where it would be needed/advised. Went through puddles, mud, over some branches, and played in the sand. Made it through everything in 4HI and a few places in 4L. Did get stuck once, but locker wouldn't have gotten me out. Took a bad line and didn't have the clearance or tires to get out. Do wish I had just in case, yep but so far so good.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you've never wheeled a locked rig, you don't think you need it. If you have wheeled a locked rig, you absolutely know you do need it.

Sponsored

yippeekiyay

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-dr Badsquatch, 1998 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My opinion offroading for 10 years in Land Cruisers, and now in my Badsquatch, is just get it. Your offroad confidence and goals may surprise you how they evolve, you may take a new job several states over with a vastly different environment, or who knows you may sell it (at which point the next owner may need that locker) - point is there are a lot of reasons why you may want it later. And adding later is much more money and pita than getting it now.

Oh, and there's always sand, silt, or just one mistake over a hard, dry, rutty trail that puts a tire in the air, even on 'light offroading', and without anyone out on your trail that day recovery costs can be $$.

My 0.02 šŸ˜‰

ā€˜21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Heck I use it in the spring and fall to help not ruin the grass when getting my trailers out. Wet grass with a one wheel squealer itā€™s easy to leave a rut.

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I was one that wanted the BD, and was "forced" to get the BL because I wanted the MID package and the manual. Wasn't really happy about having to spend $5-7K more than I wanted because I am not a big off-roader and just need something to get me to some steep hilly places for fishing and hunting.

Then I went to the offrodeo. And while I don't intend to go rock-hopping at all, it was amazing what the front and rear lockers (and the disconnecting sway bar) could do. I will probably never take my BL on terrain like we did in the offroadeo (by choice) but I was dumbfounded by what the vehicle can do.

It totally raised my expectations of what I can do with my Bronco. Not that I am going to start rock-hopping at all. But when faced with some terrain that I would have (pre-offroadeo) said "I'll pass, or look for a different way", I know I can do it with my BL.

But to put in perspective (JMHO), I would have normally used my Bronco for terrain that probably falls from 1-3.5 (scale of 1 to 10) and at the offroadeo I was maybe at a 6+, and I have seen videos of Broncos going full tilt 10 (stock configuration). I might now take my Bronco to a 5 and know I have room to spare and that is kinda nice to know it can do it.

When I was on a side angle of 20* in the offroadeo, I was freaking out, and the instructor said "there is no need to get nervous until the gauges say you are at 30*. There is no frigging way I am every taking my Bronco to a 30* side angle tilt :) fughettaboutit! But nice to know that the vehicle is WAY more capable than I am comfortable of driving it (when it is my Bronco)
FYI This is what 32* looks like šŸ˜‚ anything above 30* is differently pucker time

sjjohnny

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Black Diamond, '00 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you've never wheeled a locked rig, you don't think you need it. If you have wheeled a locked rig, you absolutely know you do need it.
Indeed. The OP should attend Off-Roadeo which will demonstrate a rear locker is very nice to have.

The other thing you could do for better traction is to get a manual sway bar disconnect, which is inexpensive and will help keep your wheels on the ground. Most of the time running around at off-roadeo, the guides had us disconnect the sway bar.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Specced mine with a rear locker. Figured for the price of admission ($500) & the benefits of being factory-installed, it would pay itself off. Already gotten me out of some deep sand here in the CA desert multiple times.
Sponsored