Sponsored

Do you use the parking procedure described in Off-Roadeo?

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks the only time I have really noticed any stress on the drive line was in places like San Francisco where there are hellaciously steep hills. I am going to give it a whirl next time I park on a slope.
Sponsored

OP
OP

TheDoctor

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST, Pontiac G8 GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
ALOT..."Standard would mean majority don't you think...?" You were inferring like this procedure is only taught at "off roadeo" ,its not, its pretty common knowledge.
I never inferred that this procedure was only taught at BOR, but it was pointed out early on to make sure everyone understood and used the procedure. I was just curious for people that have atteneded BOR, if they continued to use the process on their own vehicles. (y)

Bee Bop

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 02 Mustang GT Vert, 91 S10
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Procedure in deatil is come to a stop, apply the parking brake while holding the foot brake, Shift into neutral and release the foot brake, Let the vehicle settle then shift into park. It is supposed to take the pressure off of the shift mechanism and help protect the parking pawl. I am attempting to remember to do this every time I drive the Bronco.

OP
OP

TheDoctor

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST, Pontiac G8 GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The Procedure in deatil is come to a stop, apply the parking brake while holding the foot brake, Shift into neutral and release the foot brake, Let the vehicle settle then shift into park. It is supposed to take the pressure off of the shift mechanism and help protect the parking pawl. I am attempting to remember to do this every time I drive the Bronco.
Yep. Funny for me though, I seem to remember a bit different where I would stop, move to neutral and set PB, then release foot brake and allow the vehicle to settle. Then apply foot brake and move to park.

I am not sure the difference it would make in moving to neutral before or after applying the PB.

Seems like a simple enough procedure in any method to possibly reduce stress on an automatic transmission though.

Sponsored

BluebroncoNC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco & 1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Guess I'm doing it wrong, but I always set the ebreak after I put the tranny into park but before I release my foot from the break.

I've applied for a copyright, if any of you do this method, send me a Nickle for each time.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unless I am off road or on a very steep hill, I almost never use the parking brake. Even with a manual transmission.

zyglyrox

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 BaseSAS / ‘21 Bronco Sport BB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In some of the offroadeos (they never told us at mine in Moab oddly), they've been telling people to put it in neutral, set the parking brake, then put it in park. I suppose the idea is you put less stress on the transmission's parking pall.

Personally I think it's unnecessary for most situations when you're on relatively flat ground. Makes sense when you're parked on a hill, and obviously that happens a lot when you're offroading. So i see why they do it at the offroadeo, as they don't want to wear them out.

Also I don't think it's totally necessary to put it in neutral first. As long as you keep your foot on the brake until the parking brake is fully engaged, there shouldn't be any difference with just putting it straight into park. I think they tell you to put it in neutral first at the offroadeo as a sort of error proofing so you don't put stress on the parking gear and then lock that stress in with the parking brake.
Yep! I do this 100% because my driveway has a slight incline. If you don’t use the parking brake you can feel it roll back into the parking pawl and it doesn’t feel good.
Come to a stop, neutral, parking brake, put in P. No movement, feels solid!

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I generally do not put it in neutral before applying the parking brake, but I will apply the parking brake prior to taking my foot off the brake for the reasons Ford states.

Sponsored

Calm horse

Big Bend
First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 f150 king ranch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've been doing this for about 30 years to all my vehicles....its mostly for when u are parked on any sort of incline.....savesyour transmission ...doesn't slam hard when you go to put in gear....taught my wife years ago and now my kids.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don’t even use the E brake. Lol
I am sad to say, with you. Have been used to our BMWs for last 10 years, you just shut off engine and vehicle shifts to park for you. And when it shuts off at stoplights it applies the e brake. First few times I shut off Bucky and he started moving on his own I knew I forgot something.

I admit that I only utilize parking brake on hills, with a slushbox. If in a manual I do use the p brake and then place transmission in lowest gear opposite the direction downhill.

Had a '58 Dodge truck whose p brake was a drum on the driveshaft. Parked on an icy hill, set brake, put in gear, watched truck roll down hill since only the driveshaft was prevented from rotating, not the rear wheels
Sponsored